Poll: Why did Varian get a memorial while Vol'jin didn't?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    3) Both Bolvar and Varian died like little bitches.
    I don't recall Bolvar dying.

OT: Humans memorialize everything, look around Stormwind. The city itself has needed fixing since the Cataclysm anyway, so this is killing two birds with one stone. Like someone said, it would be cool to have a fetish or something for Voljin in the Echo Isles or somewhere, but that concept doesn't really scream "troll".

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Just more examples of Alliance favoritism in this case. Blizz chose to give Varian an epic death while Vol'jin... well he was out there fighting, side-by-side with Thrall, but it certainly wasn't as epic. But that was a Blizz choice. Not like Varian and Vol'jin were real people. Both did whatever Blizz wrote them to do.
    You've got additional cinematic and still complain?

I logged over to my Darkspear to check out Vol'jin's memorial in Orgrimmar, and found... nothing. Why was I not surprised? What do you suppose Blizz's reasoning was?
    Oh please.

The "reasoning" most probably simply was: ran out of time. Or the thing dropped under the radar because priorities. They were redoing stuff in SW anyway (after leaving it damaged by Deathwing for several years after Cataclysm) so it's logical that they would do some Varian stuff while they're at it. Which is probably the only reason why they did it in the first place. They simply had the opportunity.

What a petty thread, he was burned in sacrifice to his Loa, unlike Varian whom they had no body to honor. Horde are more focused on avenging Vol'jin rather than building something.

Never saw any of these.
    The fetish toys are only purchasable Horde-side by a character that has accepted the quest to do the Broken Shore but not actually left yet. A dude by the dock outside Orgrimmar sells them and if I recall correctly they were only previously in the game as part of the Cataclysm pre-patch where you retake the Echo Isles.

This isn't a secret though, Alliance get the Lucky T-shirt and the cosmetic Bonnet helm.

Unlike Varian, I'm expecting Vol'jin to return as the Champion of Bwonsamdi or something, something to do with being Keeper of the Dead. Ironically making sure the dead stay dead, thus bringing him in direct conflict with Sylvanas despite the generally good job she'll be doing.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    What a petty thread, he was burned in sacrifice to his Loa, unlike Varian whom they had no body to honor. Horde are more focused on avenging Vol'jin rather than building something.
    I know right, we should send all thoses architects and stonemasons to war immediately!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenwyrm View Post
    1. Varian died fighting. Like a badass.
    2. Vol'jin died from a stab wound and sitting on a chair.
    3. Alliance is superior
    4. see Number 3.
    Oh and here is another "Im a Lion of the Alliance, and fearless, true hero of Azeroth" blind player who just pays and plays. Wake up. Think. Only then open your mouth please. There is no competition between Vol'Jin's and Wrynn's dead, wich one is more epic and heroic. Yes Varian's death was badass. But the alliance broken shore video was about making alliance players fool and babyrage like Greymane and Jaina, while the Horde side was about the Banshee Queen's heroism, saving the army of the Horde. Sylvanas gave another chance to the whole of Azeroth to stand against the Legion TOGETHER! Otherwise the demons would kill us all one by one (Gul'Dan said) without bringing in thier bests on to the battlefield. I recommend to everyone to open the ears as Vol'Jin said: "They coming from behind, cover the flanks!" Demons came from every corner and no one has eyes on all sides...

For the main question. They buried Vol'Jin's ashes to a secret place... i think. He as a shadowhunter maybe... he will resuerrect himself one day with the help of the Loa spirits and we will know where Vol'Jin was buried.

10+ Year Old Account
    I logged over to my Darkspear to check out Vol'jin's memorial in Orgrimmar, and found... nothing. Why was I not surprised? What do you suppose Blizz's reasoning was?
    I think Varian is permanently dead. Blizz can always bring Vol'jin back for a South Seas/Zandalar expansion.

"Death be a doorway, an' time a window" -Gara'jal the Spiritbinder (Zandalari troll)

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    I think Varian is permanently dead. Blizz can always bring Vol'jin back for a South Seas/Zandalar expansion.

"Death be a doorway, an' time a window" -Gara'jal the Spiritbinder (Zandalari troll)
    You saw him die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    You saw him die.
    Trolls are known for practicing voodoo and bringing back the dead (or spirits).

That's the only chance he's got. If not, RIP Vol'jin, you were always limp from the start.

Do they also need to build a part for him? Do you really need every loss, gain and event to be perfectly mirrored between the factions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Why did Varian get a park? Seriously?
    1. every alliance player screamed at Blizzard to remake the park right? For years since Cataclysm. We got a memorial and a fixed park but we did not get the park back.
    2. because it fitted the story and fixed the park at the same time, they placed a memorial in the park.

Don't make this an alliance vs horde story. Alliance didn't want the park to be fixed this way perse. We wanted a fixed park - more like it was be.fore. That said, I am an alliance player and I really like the memorial such as it is. Still don't think it is "favouritism"
    I'm torn myself. It's a very well made area, the atmosphere is fittingly somber and the music is lovely... on the other hand way the canal flows into it and the fact that there's no exterior wall around it makes it feel like it doesn't belong in Stormwind. It's just open cliff facing the sea.

Because Horde scum are not the same as Humans ? They burn their dead and thats that. Look at their towns. Orgrimmar is built for function. Not beauty. That is unique to Humans. Not like a cat put flowers in the window.

Well most trolls don't like statues or monuments believing that their souls can be bound to them. They get their bodies burned and then are remembered through stories and dance and such. Plus Stormwind was in need of having the park rebuilt so they knocked out two birds with one stone. People have been nagging them about the destroyed park ever since it was destroyed in Cata. So if anything it was lazy because it was something they were doing anyways and were like "lets throw a tomb in it dedicated to Varian". What I'm wondering is why complain about it... I mean look at Stormwind as a whole... statues of all the heroes from past wars dotting the bridge, Varian's statue in front of the keep and now the park, human's make monuments for their dead that mattered to them. Most of the horde races per lore remembered their dead as I said above, through stories, told around the campfire's usually with dance and song involved. It wouldn't shock me if we see something like that down the road in Echo Isles, a bunch of trolls dancing with chat bubbles talking about the brave shadow hunter that stepped into the light to lead his people.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Less people care to have something to remind them of Vol'jin. Varian was a far more impactful character.

Imo Vol'jin's death was still dignified and suited him better than a heroic blast ála Varian would've.
    The final cinematic with him appointing Sylvanas because of the Loa was quite intense, and well-fitting. Though I would rather have kept Vol'jin as a Warchief a bit longer. I liked the character and it's a shame that the writers did not want to do much with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    The final cinematic with him appointing Sylvanas because of the Loa was quite intense, and well-fitting. Though I would rather have kept Vol'jin as a Warchief a bit longer. I liked the character and it's a shame that the writers did not want to do much with the character.
    Perhaps they did, but Vol'jin failed to gain enough popularity within the player crowd and was largely regarded as a weak choice for a Warchief. Either way, his story ended well.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    you got the park repaired, at the cost of your king. did we learn anything about constantly complaining? :P lol
    Is "that will cost you a racial leader" the new "that'll cost you a raid tier"?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    I'm torn myself. It's a very well made area, the atmosphere is fittingly somber and the music is lovely... on the other hand way the canal flows into it and the fact that there's no exterior wall around it makes it feel like it doesn't belong in Stormwind. It's just open cliff facing the sea.
    Exactly how I feel about it

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Sorry, you have confused me now. All I asked was how is this a spoiler as it has been going on for at least a fortnight now on live.
    Simple: you assume that it isn't a spoiler just because it's on Live servers. By this logic it's impossible to spoil anything if you are not an insider.