Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

How did thrall lose his powers?

So I didn't really pay attention to WoD story (due to not playing and not really doing raids anymore etc.) but the last thing I remember was that Garrosh was being taken to trial by the Panda's, and that Varian and Thrall sort of came to an understanding that it was not Thrall's place to render judgement upon him.

He still had all his power. So what happened?

This may be a tell me the whole story of draenor type question (no idea when Thrall lost his powers, how the Orcs stopped following Garrosh, and where Archimonde arrived or anything) but hopefully someone will be able to tell me.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    He still has some powers obviously, you see him raise earthen bridges and such during the Broken Shore, but it's much more taxing than it usually is. Thrall killing Garrosh made the Elements very pissy, so they decided to make his life a living hell in order to make him repent.

Just hop on over to Wowpedia and read up on Thrall, Garrosh, the Iron Horde, Gul'dan (alternate) and you should be covered.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I thought it was just the Doomhammer that started ignoring him. If it really was the elements...how did he do all dem things in the Draenor garrison campaign and the Broken Shore?

Quote Originally Posted by Factoral View Post
    So I didn't really pay attention to WoD story (due to not playing and not really doing raids anymore etc.) but the last thing I remember was that Garrosh was being taken to trial by the Panda's, and that Varian and Thrall sort of came to an understanding that it was not Thrall's place to render judgement upon him.

He still had all his power. So what happened?

This may be a tell me the whole story of draenor type question (no idea when Thrall lost his powers, how the Orcs stopped following Garrosh, and where Archimonde arrived or anything) but hopefully someone will be able to tell me.
    He got married/had a kid... It will do it to you everytime.

Thrall is taking a back seat for an indeterminate amount of time due to Chris Metzen's interest in Overwatch. Due to his focus on that IP, Chris has asked that the WoW team remove Thrall from the story as much as possible so that he does not have to assist with story and voice for the character.

To give you an idea of how hyped he is for Overwatch, Chris has had Solider76 sketches and story since like 1995 or earlier. He originally intended to create him as a comic book character, but as you can tell he was rolled into Overwatch 20 years later.

Until Chris decides to, or finds passion in the Thrall character, you can expect him to receive a complete wash of any important story.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    I thought it was just the Doomhammer that started ignoring him. If it really was the elements...how did he do all dem things in the Draenor garrison campaign and the Broken Shore?
    The Doomhammer is forged by the Elements, and is, as such, an extension of their will... Odd as it is, especially since it was forged by a different planets Elementals, but eh.

The doomhammer and the elements are not happy that he more or less cheated in the duel with Garrosh by using the elements to defeat him so he is not the OP shaman we knew....honeslty it's a poor plot point to give us a reason to wield the hammer

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archermit View Post
    The doomhammer and the elements are not happy that he more or less cheated in the duel with Garrosh by using the elements to defeat him so he is not the OP shaman we knew....honeslty it's a poor plot point to give us a reason to wield the hammer
    So at what point did he duel garrosh? I take it this was before Gul'dan became the boss?

Deleted
    So at what point did he duel garrosh? I take it this was before Gul'dan became the boss?
    it's part of the quest line in draenor Nagrand

It's in the last zone in WoD, Nagrand, where the final quest of the zone is an all out assault on Garrosh and then there's a cutscene of the duel.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1SdVC2mrz8 - Yeah it's basically what causes Gul'dan to take control. Ish. Again, just read up and watch some of the WoD cinematics.

Okay, here we go!

A mak'gora is a ritualistic duel to the death, in which each person must choose one and only one weapon.

In Nagrand, after the Alliance and the Horde were fighting a lot against the Iron Horde, Thrall steps in and declares mak'gora against Garrosh Hellscream.

Garrosh chooses Gorehowl, and Thrall the Doomhammer. I suggest you watch the Nagrand finale cinematic to see how it plays out. In the end, Thrall commands the elements to kill Garrosh, effectively cheating in the rules of mak'gora.

For having cheated and abused of the elements, they become silent to him, presumably for a time until he "learns his lesson".

Thus, after Thrall loses the Doomhammer to some demons and it falls into the Deepholm, and the player shaman helps retrieve it, Thrall decides to pass on the weapon to the shaman.

-----------------------------

As for Archimonde being summoned, Gul'dan used the Cipher of Damnation and considerable time to manage to open the Black Gate to Archimonde. In the Main Universe, Gul'dan had used the same Cipher to raise the Hand of Gul'dan in Shadowmoon Valley and sever the connection between the orcs and the elements.

In AU Draenor, the combined armies of the draenei and the remnants of the Iron Horde led by the Frostwolf, as well as the commanders of the Alliance and the Horde, are only victorious against Archimonde thanks to the three legendary rings crafted by Khadgar and the players. These rings channeled and combined the elemental fury of Draenor, the arcane might of the Gorian Empire, and the holy blessing of the naaru.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vims View Post
    it's part of the quest line in draenor Nagrand
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    It's in the last zone in WoD, Nagrand, where the final quest of the zone is an all out assault on Garrosh and then there's a cutscene of the duel.
    Ah so it wasn't part of a raid or anything then. Ok cool. I may need to complete that questline then to get a good idea of what happened.

I just see a lot of hate for Thrall on forums, and I wasn't really sure why :s but I take it that people don't hate him because he killed Garrosh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    Okay, here we go!

A mak'gora is a ritualistic duel to the death, in which each person must choose one and only one weapon.

In Nagrand, after the Alliance and the Horde were fighting a lot against the Iron Horde, Thrall steps in and declares mak'gora against Garrosh Hellscream.

Garrosh chooses Gorehowl, and Thrall the Doomhammer. I suggest you watch the Nagrand finale cinematic to see how it plays out. In the end, Thrall commands the elements to kill Garrosh, effectively cheating in the rules of mak'gora.

For having cheated and abused of the elements, they become silent to him, presumably for a time until he "learns his lesson".

Thus, after Thrall loses the Doomhammer to some demons and it falls into the Deepholm, and the player shaman helps retrieve it, Thrall decides to pass on the weapon to the shaman.

-----------------------------

As for Archimonde being summoned, Gul'dan used the Cipher of Damnation and considerable time to manage to open the Black Gate to Archimonde. In the Main Universe, Gul'dan had used the same Cipher to raise the Hand of Gul'dan in Shadowmoon Valley and sever the connection between the orcs and the elements.

In AU Draenor, the combined armies of the draenei and the remnants of the Iron Horde led by the Frostwolf, as well as the commanders of the Alliance and the Horde, are only victorious against Archimonde thanks to the three legendary rings crafted by Khadgar and the players. These rings channeled and combined the elemental fury of Draenor, the arcane might of the Gorian Empire, and the holy blessing of the naaru.
    Ah that makes sense. Though I'm not sure if Thrall really cheated or not. Isn't the Doomhammer have Elemental powers anyway? Which means that he is already using the Elements?

At the end of Nagrand storyline in WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Archermit View Post
    How do you figure?

You choose 1 weapon. If the weapon is an extension of the elements because it was forged by the elements of MU Draenor, one could say that he used the weapon appropriately in combat.

It happens to most people that get married and especially when they have kids. Believe me, I've seen it happen several times now.

So...the elements of alternate Draenor got angry that Thrall killed the dude who created and employed Dark Shaman. Then dude comes back to Azeroth and those elements are pissed too because...they're on the phone with the furies of fake Draenor?
    Doomhammer being pissy...ok. The elements across all time and space being pissy...wut?

So...the elements of alternate Draenor got angry that Thrall killed the dude who created and employed Dark Shaman. Then dude comes back to Azeroth and those elements are pissed too because...they're on the phone with the furies of fake Draenor?
    Doomhammer being pissy...ok. The elements across all time and space being pissy...wut?
    doomhammer probably told them about it

Deleted
    But wasn't Thrall able to summon stone bridges in the broken shore scenario?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's extremely messy and makes absolutely no sense. Not to mention, that killing Garrosh stopped the alternate Warsong Clan, who were enslaving and tormenting wind elementals throughout the entire Nagrand. But nooooooooooooeeeeh, the Furies are just angry bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    But wasn't Thrall able to summon stone bridges in the broken shore scenario?
    Yes, but it was very taxing and almost drained him... But yeah; this whole thing is a shambled mess.