Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I don't even care about the multiplayer. What bums me out most about this game is the lack of reasons to explore. You can get all the 'content' this game has to offer in a single solar system.
    You really can't. The 4 solar systems I explored so far were distinctly different from each other. Even on the most basic content level they did not (for example) share all of the resources you need to collect to craft materials, or share all of the types of ships available in the game.

Again: criticism based on facts please, not hyperbole.

If you would have instead mentioned that they reuse assets (that's what procedural generation inherently does though and this game has never been advertised as not completely procedurally generated), then I could agree with you to some extent.

I do agree on the lack of impetus to explore. Part of the goal of exploration is in the exploration itself, but for most that's not enough. A bigger, overarching goal (not the "get to the center of the galaxy") would've motivated people more to get out there.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-25 at 01:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    “Toxic negativity” was to be expected considering how the developer lied and mislead people about his overpriced product, even if some people are highly zealous about it, they still have a point and personally I’m actually glad they are being this vocal about it, I don’t know about you, but I would hate if this kind of thing became a common practice in gaming.
    Honestly, if that is really the case those people are more than welcome to take their bit**** to the proper channels, like go spam Hello Game pages f.ex.

In such case I just dont understand the need to come to this forum to start picking arguments with people that are actually enjoying the game as it is, that is another name which I cant write otherwise the bot will send me a warning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    .... kay.

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/762689080245252096

Also, feel free to remove the sticker from your game box to see the multiplayer warning behind =/
    That part made me cringe & giggle at the same time.

5:35 PM - 8 Aug 2016 "To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience."
    5:37 PM - 8 Aug 2016 "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

So, within two minutes they either coded in multiplayer & then said chances of meeting rare, or the more likely, he just talked out of his proverbial in hopes of more sales to those not noticing the errors

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    You really can't. The 4 solar systems I explored so far were distinctly different from each other. Even on the most basic content level they did not (for example) share all of the resources you need to collect to craft materials, or share all of the types of ships available in the game.

If you would have instead mentioned that they reuse assets (that's what procedural generation inherently does though and this game has never been advertised as not completely procedurally generated), then I could agree with you to some extent.

I do agree on the lack of impetus to explore. Part of the goal of exploration is in the exploration itself, but for most that's not enough. A bigger, overarching goal (not the "get to the center of the galaxy") would've motivated people more to get out there.
    Well, from what i have seen, heard and experienced in game (tried at a friend who wnated a refund the next day) the issues seems to be tied a lot on the core systems.

Stuff like "all planets are revolving in real time so night/day cycles and planetary phisics" is completely absent. Huge scale battles are non existant. They have shown a lot of stuff that the game simply doesn't have at the release.

People nitpick every detal and while i agree that someone has definitely too much time on their hands there's some stuff definitely missing/scrapped completely, or simplified to a backbone of what was told in trailiers/interviews, etc.

People can enjoy the game as much as they want: it's just something personal as it is the decision if the price is worth. People can comment and tell that 60-30=30 or 60-50=10 as much as they want but you cannot put a real price on this thing because you find people buying iPhones all around the world.

The only fact i see is this: i cannot say if HG has lied straightforward or if Sony intervened and made the whole stuff crap. What i know is that from day 1 anything wasn't really clear and all answers were vague. I didn't really know what the game was fully about and we never received definite answers until nearly release where it looked like anymore an indie game but one of the constant and crappy hyped AAA titles that promise everything and deliver zero.
    I don't know who has the responsibility if devs, Sony or both. I only know that stuff like this could be avoided if people just stopped to throw their money at monitor as soon as they hear buzzowrds and see some screenshots.

Enjoying a game is a thing. Criticizing a game is another. Both have nothing to do with fighting each other discussing who is right and bitching about "THEY HAVE TOLD THERE HAD BEEN BUTTERFLIES BUT I DIDN'T SEE THEM".
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

When I say content I'm not talking about differently coloured skyboxes or variations in weather. By content I mean the things the devs put in the game that facilitate your journey and progression, and all those things absolutely are available in a single solar system:

Minerals
    Exosuit slot upgrades
    New ships
    Blueprints
    Multitools

Then there are the monoliths and word stones, and various buildings (which all look the same), some of them populated with a single NPC.

You will never find anything different in any other solar system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Stuff like "all planets are revolving in real time so night/day cycles and planetary phisics" is completely absent. Huge scale battles are non existant. They have shown a lot of stuff that the game simply doesn't have at the release.
    Night and Day cycles are not absent from the game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Night and Day cycles are not absent from the game.
    You're missing some keywords.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, from what i have seen, heard and experienced in game (tried at a friend who wnated a refund the next day) the issues seems to be tied a lot on the core systems.

People nitpick every detal and while i agree that someone has definitely too much time on their hands there's some stuff definitely missing/scrapped completely, or simplified to a backbone of what was told in trailiers/interviews, etc.

People can enjoy the game as much as they want: it's just something personal as it is the decision if the price is worth. People can comment and tell that 60-30=30 or 60-50=10 as much as they want but you cannot put a real price on this thing because you find people buying iPhones all around the world.

The only fact i see is this: i cannot say if HG has lied straightforward or if Sony intervened and made the whole stuff crap. What i know is that from day 1 anything wasn't really clear and all answers were vague. I didn't really know what the game was fully about and we never received definite answers until nearly release where it looked like anymore an indie game but one of the constant and crappy hyped AAA titles that promise everything and deliver zero.
    I don't know who has the responsibility if devs, Sony or both. I only know that stuff like this could be avoided if people just stopped to throw their money at monitor as soon as they hear buzzowrds and see some screenshots.

Enjoying a game is a thing. Criticizing a game is another. Both have nothing to do with fighting each other discussing who is right and bitching about "THEY HAVE TOLD THERE HAD BEEN BUTTERFLIES BUT I DIDN'T SEE THEM".
    The thing is, a lot of these features that "people didn't find" were found, they were just not that common. Huge scale battles do occur. They don't happen in bordering zones of space where opposing factions war, but you can definitely get into some huge fights.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys having problems with too many fighters attacking you when you try to pulse drive to a new planet in the same system?

It seems like every time I try to go to another planet, im intercepted by like 15 fighters now. It used to be 3 or 4, now its too many and I die in like 10 seconds after being pulled out of jump speed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The thing is, a lot of these features that "people didn't find" were found, they were just not that common. Huge scale battles do occur. They don't happen in bordering zones of space where opposing factions war, but you can definitely get into some huge fights.
    I know about this. Hnece the last sentence.

The whole point was: people can legitimately like the game and given the size of the universe is more than reasonable that we have yet to see a lot of things. However all the previous business was dealt in a very shady way at least for me and defnintely a lot of the advertised stuff isn't in (it could have been legitimately cut). The worst thing is that if with all this "no-transparency" thing, people still hyped and preordered and bought in troves instead oif just having a little patience.

This behaviour is what favours this kind of situation - the major fault is ALWAYS on the player first because bought stuff without using their brain.

EDIT: anyway i'm convinced about one thing. This universe is HUMONGOUS. Cannot MAYBE be that some time needs to pass for it to develop futher than current situation? I mean. People quit after a 3 hour session to reach the center of the galaxy. You cannot say you have seen it all (even if the gameplay is shallow).
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-08-25 at 03:11 PM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Are you guys having problems with too many fighters attacking you when you try to pulse drive to a new planet in the same system?

It seems like every time I try to go to another planet, im intercepted by like 15 fighters now. It used to be 3 or 4, now its too many and I die in like 10 seconds after being pulled out of jump speed.
    Since it was out of the question that people could 'meet' on day one in the realm of absolute infinity, they decided that it should be impossible to leave planets. Can't have people reaching the centre of the universe for obvious reasons.

EDIT: anyway i'm convinced about one thing. This universe is HUMONGOUS. Cannot MAYBE be that some time needs to pass for it to develop futher than current situation? I mean. People quit after a 3 hour session to reach the center of the galaxy. You cannot say you have seen it all (even if the gameplay is shallow).
    The fact that two people 'met' on the first day, actually means that the universe is not humongous and that there's a certain logic that prevents the game from reaching a real total of gazibilioninity planets. In other words, it's probably a logical trick, like how /random wasn't (and often isn't) truly random.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-08-25 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

It can be annoying. Once you upgrade your laser and shields the enemies become trivial. Use the green beams that lock on instead of the photon cannon, they shred everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It can be annoying. Once you upgrade your laser and shields the enemies become trivial. Use the green beams that lock on instead of the photon cannon, they shred everything.
    Ah, maybe I do need to upgrade my weps. I break those upgrades down for more inventory space on my ship, but maybe I need them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Since it was out of the question that people could 'meet' on day one in the realm of absolute infinity, they decided that it should be impossible to leave planets. Can't have people reaching the centre of the universe for obvious reasons.
    I can still leave, it just sucks to waste a few min going back to your corpse to pick up your inventory.

This behaviour is what favours this kind of situation - the major fault is ALWAYS on the player first because bought stuff without using their brain.
    While I feel in general pre ordering is a bad idea, I still believe we can place blame on the people who lied about what their game is more than we can the people who pre ordered based on what they were told.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Every game cuts features from the drawing board. The real question is whether or not they choose to share some of them with you.

WoW has cut tons of features over the year, some big ones, some minor ones that have been lost to the annals of time. Flying combat in wrath, mounted combat in BC, dance studio, path of the titans, and countless others that they both chose to share and many many more that they didn't choose to share.

I talked with one of my friends at Arenanet today (You know, the one I don't have) and they agree that their biggest mistake was talking about features that they didn't have 100% implemented and working. Or at the very least, not saying that they hoped to have it in, but that they didn't have it 100% up and working yet. But there is zero reason for a developer to tell a deliberate, malicious lie in an age when refunds are such an easy thing to get.

We get it though, you've been badly hurt and want to take that anger out, so you can keep venting. This isn't some argument to be won or lost. But if it was, you'd have lost long ago when you first began wasting your time trying to convince others to share in your misery.

I'll definitely have to link back to this thread when people are complaining about Legion or the next overhyped game.

- - - Updated - - -

There ya go! You're getting it now!
    You're still trying to act like what Hello Games did was ok simply because other devs do it too and that is just the norm in the games industry. That is why no one can take you seriously and your opinion really means fuck all at this point. You are basically defending devs lying to consumers, doing a shitty or lackluster job, and then charging people full price for a completely different and/or bad product.

It's downright laughable how you seem to think we should all just bend over and take it from a game dev simply because "that's just how it is." For someone who continues to claim about how grown up and mature they are, your wisdom and advice is some of the worst I've ever heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you do anything other than link retarded images and sites that either have no bearing on the conversation, have been debunked already, or are just straight up lies from the get go?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this happens with every game. Features that don't make it from the drawing board into development, features that don't make it from development to internal test versions, features that don't make it from internal test versions to external test versions, and so on.

Here's just a short video of 20 features from vanilla that didn't make it into the original game.

Off the top of my head...

Killing mobs earned you "skill points" at a rate of 1 skill point per 500 xp earned from mobs, and skill points would then be spent on raising the skill cap of professions and player skills (Swordsmanship, fire, shadow, etc)
    Lockpicking and survival used to be trade skills. Survival involed making torches and camp fires.
    Combat skills like swords, maces, fire, shadow, holy, etc used to work very similarly to trade skills. You'd raise their cap with skill points then use them to level them up and raise their effectiveness and unlock new ranks of skills.
    Hellfire Peninsula was planned to be a leveling zone but was removed.
    Emerald Dream was also planned as a dungeon but was never implemented.
    Stats used to be far lower than they were at release, for instance having a ring with +5 strength at level 50 was pretty godly, but they felt that individual stats felt too powerful, and wanted more incremental, smaller jumps in power.
    Cloaks used to have armor types.
    Shields used to have two classes, shield and buckler, and bucklers could be used by rogues and hunters.

The list of features that were talked about not only for Vanilla WoW, but all of its expansions, and never implemented is huge. And it's the same for every game. You can find interviews of developers talking about features that never made it into their games. It would behoove developers to ensure that they specify features that are not yet fully implemented, however even when they do this, players often take things being talked about as "under development" as some kind of solemn promise.

It's precisely why Blizzard no longer shares features with players that are in development at any stage. They got burned too much even when they specified that a feature was not done and may not make it into the final version. So it would behoove players just as much if not more to not take everything said by developers as gospel either. That's just learning from life experience - otherwise known as gaining wisdom.
    Continuing to say that just because other devs have done it before should make it ok or that we should just expect it at this point does not justify any other dev still doing it as well. Sorry, but you seem to be failing to grasp simple logic and morals in this entire situation. You keep defending Hello Games for doing all the retarded shit they did simply because other devs do it too. That's so idiotic and backwards I don't even know how we can help you at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Online play = "entire freaking Multiplayer option in a sandbox survival game"?
    Got any more useless/pointless/irrelevant one line responses for us?
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-25 at 05:03 PM.

I think the easiest way would be to start a class action lawsuit against Hello Games and see who's right in court. Maybe we can then finally stop this discussion about what they did and if it was wrong.

More subjective bullshit that a vast majority of people seem to disagree with. Countless videos, streams, and articles have strongly stated the exact opposite of what you're saying. Just because something is a different color, it has more legs, and another planet has some trees doesn't equate to something different enough to say "it's not the same thing!" when in fact the whole game is just a repetitive shitshow of different color palettes.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-25 at 05:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Just because something is a different color, it has more legs, and another planet has some trees doesn't equate to something different enough to say "it's not the same thing!" when in fact the whole game is just a repetitive shitshow of different color palettes.
    But if its not the same, then it isn't the same. I think the word you are looking for is similar.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

you know... its great that people are enjoying the game as it is, it still doesn't change the fact that the game you bought is not the game that was advertised. it just so happens that you don't mind those features not being there, but there is also a difference between not caring about a feature and as such - not using it, and that feature not being included despite being promised (for instance, I don't care for Dark zone in Division so I'm never, EVER going there, but if it wasn't included into the game, despite being promised - people would have a full right to be upset, and this is the kind of situation we are dealing with when it comes to No man Sky.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    You're still trying to act like what Hello Games did was ok simply because other devs do it too and that is just the norm in the games industry. That is why no one can take you seriously and your opinion really means fuck all at this point. You are basically defending devs lying to consumers, doing a shitty or lackluster job, and then charging people full price for a completely different and/or bad product.

It's downright laughable how you seem to think we should all just bend over and take it from a game dev simply because "that's just how it is." For someone who continues to claim about how grown up and mature they are, your wisdom and advice is some of the worst I've ever heard.
    So by your logic the developer is bad and we should punish them by not playing a game we like?
    THE GAME IS GOOD. It doesn't automatically become bad because the developer made false promises.