Shadow Mend - Disc

I've been playing around with new disc spec in 5 Mans.

For now SM seems to be the oh chit someone's about to die heal.

Given the DOT any ideas how to max its quick healing benefit and minimize DOT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    I've been playing around with new disc spec in 5 Mans.

For now SM seems to be the oh chit someone's about to die heal.

Given the DOT any ideas how to max its quick healing benefit and minimize DOT?
    Yeah, ignore the dot completely and pretend that it doesn't exist. The DoT literally does not matter, it will never count against you. So just don't even worry about it. If you truly want to maximize it, you cast SM on a target who will continually be taking damage because in that case the other damage will break the dot before the dot has time to tick.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

From what I've seen it seems like you can also just heal the tank with it if he's just getting chunked. Atonement trickle heal is nice but takes a while to ramp up.

Also the dot from Shadow Mend isn't really a big deal if people are taking a lot of damage, since any damage counts towards the dot.

It fills the same role that Clarity of Will did in WoD for me.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2016-08-02 at 01:34 PM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

thanks for info.

i've been ignoring DOT up to now, sounds like that's best moving forward as well.

There is indeed nothing you can do about the dot, so ignore it, it cannot deal a killing blow and people are always better of healt by shadowmend than they would be without the healing.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    From what I've seen it seems like you can also just heal the tank with it if he's just getting chunked. Atonement trickle heal is nice but takes a while to ramp up.

Also the dot from Shadow Mend isn't really a big deal if people are taking a lot of damage, since any damage counts towards the dot.

It fills the same role that Clarity of Will did in WoD for me.
    They are quite abit different though, and we still have access to Clarity of Will.

The better comparison to Shadow Mend would be Flash Heal.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Deleted
    The main thing with the dot is that you might be better off waiting with topping people off with shadow mend till after the combat ends in dungeons. That way you get no dot.

If you use shadow mend to keep people alive there generally is enough damage flying around that the dot is a non-issue. Though when in doubt just prioritize people who are very low or might be taking damage soon - like the tank.

Deleted
    Also Grace works very well together with SM in dungeons, be sure to spec into that to make things so much easier to heal.

thread mini-necro: Having an issue with Shadow Mend in Clique. No matter what the binding or conditional is it doesnt work unless I target manually and hit its hotkey. Any thoughts on what may be causing this to happen?
    Science the shit out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Qlix View Post
    thread mini-necro: Having an issue with Shadow Mend in Clique. No matter what the binding or conditional is it doesnt work unless I target manually and hit its hotkey. Any thoughts on what may be causing this to happen?
    Well, for starters you could screenshot the settings for the binds.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Very strange, it works perfectly for me.
    All wour other spells are working?
    Have you tried casting it (in Clique) via macro?
    ( /use [@mouseovertarget]Shadow Mend )

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Very strange, it works perfectly for me.
    All wour other spells are working?
    Have you tried casting it (in Clique) via macro?
    ( /use [@mouseovertarget]Shadow Mend )
    Havent tried a macro yet. everything else works fine Shadow Mend is the only one I cannot get to work.

I don't use Clique, but mouseover macro works fine for me.

It has nothing inherently to do with clique either. I've used clique with shadow mend on live and beta (for months on the latter) without any problems. I'd suspect it's a problem with overlapping keybinds or wrong settings.

Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    It has nothing inherently to do with clique either. I've used clique with shadow mend on live and beta (for months on the latter) without any problems. I'd suspect it's a problem with overlapping keybinds or wrong settings.
    That one should get caught by trying different key bindings and options as has been done according to original post.
    Is there any item or passive ability or anything named Shadow Mend (in the language you are using)? Because that is a problem I had before.

(With our artefact ability to be precise, sometimes WoW would try something wonky with the item instead of using the ability it grants when I bound it on Clique, I had to make a Clique macro where I put the long name of the ability to solve it. The same problem was present on my paladin back when Blizzard's translation team messed up and gave the exact same name to several different abilites with no way to discriminate between them.

So I figured it out. It was user error. For legion i wiped out all of my profiles (had a profile for each class) and started over. When I started binding abilities I did not create class profiles. It had been working fine that way with abilities on different classes/specs bound to duplicate buttons (Healing Surge, Flash of Light, all on Shift + Left click). But for some reason, Shadow Mend didnt like it. When I deleted the other binds, and created class profiles it fixed the issue. Thanks!

So I figured it out. It was user error. For legion i wiped out all of my profiles (had a profile for each class) and started over. When I started binding abilities I did not create class profiles. It had been working fine that way with abilities on different classes/specs bound to duplicate buttons (Healing Surge, Flash of Light, all on Shift + Left click). But for some reason, Shadow Mend didnt like it. When I deleted the other binds, and created class profiles it fixed the issue. Thanks!
    That must have been because Priests share a name for one of those other spells you bound and the client tried to use that one first.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    That must have been because Priests share a name for one of those other spells you bound and the client tried to use that one first.
    That was the assumption, but the only spells I had gotten to were Healing Surge and Flash of Light. So who knows, its fixed now ha