Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    But could you not drive perfectly fine without hearing? Personally i rarely listen to music, and only have the radio on in case of a traffic-message (message informing of accidents and such in the area). But during every day driving you don't use your hearing much, and I don't know about you, but I more often than not see the ambulance behind me before I hear it, unless I have my window rolled down.
    Yes and no

Hearing helps you no a emergency vehicle is approaching. Have you ever paused at a green light because you heard sirens? I would hope so! Or what about if you're making a mistake, other drivers blasting their horn before you make one like merging in on them because they're in your blind spot.

I personally have 0 problems with deaf people driving, but at the same time they should be paying extra attention to their surroundings. If you can't notice flashing lights in your rear-view mirror, you shouldn't be driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Those "shot by police" news are so new to me. As European I almost never see this. I wonder if US could change with harder weapon restrictions.
    As a European I see this kind of news from time to time here in Sweden, the last 3 months there's been at least 1 per month, and at least one of these shootings are being investigated to determine if the shooting was just, depends where you live in Europe I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yes and no

Hearing helps you no a emergency vehicle is approaching. Have you ever paused at a green light because you heard sirens? I would hope so! Or what about if you're making a mistake, other drivers blasting their horn before you make one like merging in on them because they're in your blind spot.

I personally have 0 problems with deaf people driving, but at the same time they should be paying extra attention to their surroundings. If you can't notice flashing lights in your rear-view mirror, you shouldn't be driving.
    Yeah, I do agree they should pay extra attention, I am just saying that being deaf is no reason to not be allowed to drive, as loss of hearing is not exactly the most important asset during driving. And yeah, I agree that anyone with no awareness of what goes on around them should not drive at all. And I have had several encounters with ambulances (lived in a city with one of the biggest hospitals in the area, and drove on the main road to said hospital quite often), and of course you drive to the side/hold still in order to give free passage to the ambulance. Never been stopped by police, so never had any experience with that, but I am pretty damn sure I would notice a police-car with sirens behind me.

It was coming right for us!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Aralon View Post
    Kinda my point, I don't recall many "civilians" being killed by the government at the peak of the The Troubles. Even when it was a high alert. The gun point, I wouldn't really know. Never had one and I know no one that does (unless they used to be in the army or police officer as they are still considered a target by a certain group).

All I am saying is that I think the BS excuse of them being "tense" or "on edge" is just that, BS.
    Totally agree there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Jesus Christ, here I will post it yet again http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4779

Yes incarceration rates and over policing show how, even with the same or less police force, they harass the public (for perceived petty crimes) to the point that the public turns on them. I mean I get it, you dont understand because you may not live in the US or in a high policed area so you may not totally understand this mindset. Most neighborhoods view the police as the enemy and dont cooperate with investigations which make policing crime tougher. So when you have what is perceived to be the enemy trying to enforce laws, the public wont respond in kind, this increases the rate of those who feel they are over policed, to resist and we know resisting the police does not end well.

Take for instance this guy, he had five misdemeanor charges in Denver one was obstructing the police. Arrested twice in FL once of petty theft the other speeding with an additional charge of resisting which was dropped. In CT he plead guilty to interfering and resisting arrest. One guy, nine incidents in eight years with the police, the last which turned deadly. His luck with resisting arrest finally ran out, something bad happened, he came across a police officer who deemed his actions a threat.
    Do you really think people in europe don´t resist arrest? Have you ever watched what european football matches (not the large ones, the local ones) look like? They may be percieved as harassing the population but that´s not actually harassing the population, also it´s not showing that the Us has vastly more police encounters.

Your link is showing that racism is still a thing. (who would´ve guessed)
    The interesting part, out of the 1% of drivers that had phsyical force used against them by the police, believed the police behaved properly.

Or am i missing something here?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Do you really think people in europe don´t resist arrest? Have you ever watched what european football matches (not the large ones, the local ones) look like? They may be percieved as harassing the population but that´s not actually harassing the population,
    I never said they dont resist in Europe.

also it´s not showing that the Us has vastly more police encounters.
    62 million police encounters in a year is a high amount, out of those 1000 end with the death of the person being detained. It does not show that police are trigger happy at all. If so the number would be much higher.

If you can find me stats from a European country to compare I would be glad to discuss that further, I cant find any.

Your link is showing that racism is still a thing. (who would´ve guessed)
    The interesting part, out of the 1% of drivers that had physical force used against them by the police, believed the police behaved properly.

Or am i missing something here?
    Yeah, it means the force the police used was sufficient to how they were acting. If I was belligerent to a cop and refused to get out of my vehicle resulting in the cop physically pulling me from the car, and I was asked about the incident, I would agree that the officer behaved properly to detain me.

15+ Year Old Account
    62 million police encounters in a year is a high amount, out of those 1000 end with the death of the person being detained. It does not show that police are trigger happy at all. If so the number would be much higher.

If you can find me stats from a European country to compare I would be glad to discuss that further, I cant find any.
    What does qualify as a police encounter? Do you have a statistic for how many people were arrested?

In 2013 there were 2.1 million arrests in germany.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

What does qualify as a police encounter?
    Examines the characteristics and experiences of persons age 16 or older who were stopped by police during traffic and street stops, and their perceptions of police behavior and response during these encounters. It describes the outcomes of traffic and street stops by the reason for the stop; demographic characteristics of the persons stopped; race or Hispanic origin of the officers; and whether a ticket was issued, a search was conducted, or force was used. It also describes variations in perceptions of the police across characteristics and outcomes of traffic and street stops. Data are from the 2011 Police-Public Contact Survey, a supplement to the National Crime Victimization Survey, which collects information from a nationally representative sample of persons in U.S. households on contact with police during a 12-month period.
    This would indicate to me any incident in which a police officer stopped an individual who may have committed a crime or in commission of a crime.

Do you have a statistic for how many people were arrested?

In 2013 there were 2.1 million arrests in germany.
    The latest info I can find from the FBI Crime Stats is 12,196,959 arrests for 2012 for a population of 314m people.

2,625 per 100,000 in Germany
    3,853 per 100,000 in USA

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...rsons-arrested

UPDATE: Updated for 2012 data.
    Last edited by petej0; 2016-08-25 at 05:42 PM.

People resist arrest all the time without getting shot but the few that do is expressed at the norm when statistically it's not true.

15+ Year Old Account
    The latest info I can find from the FBI Crime Stats is 13,120,947 arrests for 2010 for a population of 310m people.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...rsons-arrested
    Well, germany had a population of 80 million in 2013.

So we have 4.22% arrests in the US compared to 2.62% in Germany and 3.09% in Austria.

Now in 2013 german police killed 8 people and fired 42 shots combined. Out of 2.1 million arrests. Austria had 1 killing, with 20 shots fired. Out of 262.000 arrests.

I still can´t find anything remotely showing the number of police encounters in germany or austria.

Well, germany had a population of 80 million in 2013.

So we have 4.22% arrests in the US compared to 2.62% in Germany and 3.09% in Austria.

Now in 2013 german police killed 8 people and fired 42 shots combined. Out of 2.1 million arrests. Austria had 1 killing, with 20 shots fired. Out of 262.000 arrests.

I still can´t find anything remotely showing the number of police encounters in germany or austria.
    Yeah, good luck, I exhausted my Google capabilities looking for that, lol

Even if you use a conservative amount of 1000 deaths by police officer, you are looking at a staggering 1 death for every 262,000 arrests in Germany as compared to 1 death in every 13,100 arrests in the US. (If my math is right)

I am not condoning it, I am not saying it is all justified and deserved. What I am saying is our culture is different, as a whole our society views cops much differently. I mean we had a whole generation who grew up with listening to music artists sing songs about killing Police and flaunting the law.

What I would really like to see is stats on resisting arrest. This would really tell the story. I wont doubt though that our police force is under trained and/or unsuited to do their jobs. I will blame that on the lowering of standards for who we accept for police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    The US us a country just like germany or the UK. The comparison is sound you ignorant dipshit.

Infracted - minor flaming
    U.S = 318.9 million

Germany = 80.62 million

Sorry broski but huge difference.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k