Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    My response is in the form of this video I just found thanks to Scyclone.

Great video

And good to see some common sense from Chicago Uni

Quote Originally Posted by Finith View Post
    Perhaps there are more pressing concerns in our education system then, if your only recourse is to link youtube videos as an argument. You have no understanding of what safe spaces are, you have no understanding of why issuing a trigger warning might be the ethical and intellectually honest thing to do. You are a victim of the very echo chamber you purport to so despise, the irony should be lost on no one.

What a world we could have if people actually understood the things they hated, before hating them.
    I know what safe spaces are

I know what trigger warnings are

These are not difficult concepts, like the earth being flat or the moon being made of cheese

What they are is very silly ideas made up by sheltered weak-minded hysterics -- and if you think people who disagree with you "just don't understand", well let me interest you in this safe space where no one will ever disagree with you, ever
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-08-25 at 04:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I guess I don't get it then. Back in my day there would be student groups (let's say the Gay and Lesbian club, the Israeli club, the Palestinian group) and they would each have their own space for their activities. Is this different?

- - - Updated - - -

That seems kind of like what I experienced. Each group would have their own space to do their thing. Does it also promote not allowing opposing voices at all within the University?
    The difference is that two people can support the same thing, but have radically different views on how to obtain their goal - this is what is traditional in such clubs and societies, it encourages debate and actually helps you to overcome arguments from those who do not support the same thing as you.

In comparison, the current safe spaces are designed to eliminate all differences, which naturally stifles debate. Dissenting voices are not welcome, nuance is not welcome, it is my way or the highway.

If, for example, I believe the best way to proceed with a policy is Way X and someone else thinks it is Way Y, then I want to hear Way Y as I may be wrong, or they may have ideas that I could integrate into Way X, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I've found that the "anti-SJWs" (who are often louder and much more obnoxious than the "SJWs" they constantly cry and throw little tantrums about) often seem to have one major shared characteristic: they seem to lack any and all empathy, as if the part of the brain responsible for the full range of human emotion is damaged or missing completely.
    So... People who don't support cry babies are "bad"? Pragmatism is the adult version of logic.

The problem with safe spaces/trigger warnings (with the exception of actual disorders, like PTSD in veterans) is that they suffer from the same flaw as raising a kid in a sterile bubble would. The very second they step out into the real world, they'd get sick and die.

This entire forum is your example.
    If a few users making forum posts is the best example you have then you haven't seen much.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

15+ Year Old Account
    People reject employment automatically from universities that have condoned safe spaces? Wow, hundreds of thousands of innocent students who were never "PC" that get fucked because of someone's stupid bias against a few PC individuals.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    This will force a boycott from 3rd wave feminazis, BLM, and any of SJW group. Will refuse to attend.

I'm not aware of something better that could happen to a university.
    The best way for any College/University to increase the value of the degrees it creates is to oust SJWism and the safe space hysteria it panders to.

These kids are very excitable, very ignorant, very belligerent, and very pleased with the world they've created.

Problem is ...its not the real world.

We employers see this and begin to plan for a future where a vast chunk of an entire generation cant be employed because they are simply not desirable candidates.

They have taken upon themselves to adopt mentalities that are absolutely incompatible with a functional market driven team-centric workplace.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    It will save them some headaches later on. If someone has a legitimate issue with the content of discussion in a class (for example, I can see how discussing abortion would upset a person that has recently had an abortion), they can ask for a short pardon to leave and collect themselves and then return with a calm head. The expectation that the academic environment be sterilized of opposing ideas for the minority is idiotic and what breeds the attitude of entitlement we've seen time and time again on American campuses.

"It's not about creating an intellectual space, it is not! It's about creating a home!" ~ Yale Student

Props to you, University of Chicago. Let's hope you set a trend.

Perhaps there are more pressing concerns in our education system then, if your only recourse is to link youtube videos as an argument. You have no understanding of what safe spaces are, you have no understanding of why issuing a trigger warning might be the ethical and intellectually honest thing to do. You are a victim of the very echo chamber you purport to so despise, the irony should be lost on no one.
    I know exactly what they are and I know exactly what they've created.

And the reason we link YouTube videos is because they capture the actual REALITY of the sort anti-intelligence safe-space SJWism has created.

For example...

MAGA

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Great video

And good to see some common sense from Chicago Uni

I know what safe spaces are

I know what trigger warnings are

These are not difficult concepts, like the earth being flat or the moon being made of cheese

What they are is very silly ideas made up by very sheltered weak-minded people -- and if you think people who disagree with you "just don't understand", well let me interest you in this safe space where no one will ever disagree with you, ever
    So I should stop letting the vicitms of sexual violence know when I lecture on the subject, and if they have panic attacks mid lecture or worse, so what right? It is so taxing accommodating people, the 30 seconds it takes for me to let them know could be spent telling them that no one cares about their made up trauma.

You very evidently understand neither, your aggressive tone masks only ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account

What a world we could have if people actually understood the things they hated, before hating them.
    Why are trigger warnings necessary? I honestly can't comprehend this notion. The concept of having to suppress or limit because someone with differing ideas takes offense, is absurd.

Deleted
    So I should stop letting the vicitms of sexual violence know when I lecture on the subject, and if they have panic attacks mid lecture or worse, so what right? It is so taxing accommodating people, the 30 seconds it takes for me to let them know could be spent telling them that no one cares about their made up trauma.

You very evidently understand neither, your aggressive tone masks only ignorance.
    I understand it very clearly, and I stick to my statement: people who need trigger warnings like that have serious mental issues, and people who need safe spaces are childish and unemployable

People who can't cope with disagreement and criticism will view any feedback as a personal attack, and so will be unable to learn and grow in the real world

If someone can't cope with some ideas in an academic circle, they should leave the discussion rather than ask for the discussion to end

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    the vid is perhaps part of this larger one. But it's really hard to watch because all the facepalm moments. Beware: it is real !!
    I like how the guy remained calm and professional and let the harpy whip herself into a triggered frenzy then storm off butthurt after deflating her gasbag.

What I'd like to know is was she discipline to speaking to staff with such incredible disrespect.

Certainly she would be the exact type of "meaaaa fer juffice!" crusader who would march around demanding somebody be ejected from school grounds for yellign at another student.
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I haven't yet seen a single instance of "anti-SJWs" being louder than "SJWs" they're complaining about. Can you give me an example?
    You're new to mmo-c, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I understand it very clearly, and I stick to my statement: people who need trigger warnings like that have serious mental issues, and people who need safe spaces are childish and unemployable

People who can't cope with disagreement and criticism will view any feedback as a personal attack, and so will be unable to learn and grow in the real world

If someone can't cope with some ideas in an academic circle, they should leave the discussion rather than ask for the discussion to end
    This. People should not have to work their discussions around an individual who cannot handle it. The individual should leave the discussion if it or others opinions bother them. Universities are about lecturing, debating, studying and being tolerable of others opinions even if you do not agree with said opinions. Not crying like a little bitch because you don't. And props to Chicago for essentially enforcing this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Good, this is a step back in the right direction. It's such a shame that other universities continue to enforce 'safe spaces' and all that shite.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I think he means show real life version of someone going apeshit over it. The reverse has plently of youtube videos.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I know exactly what they are and I know exactly what they've created.

And the reason we link YouTube videos is because they capture the actual REALITY of the sort anti-intelligence safe-space SJWism has created.

For example...

If you believe a video on youtube can capture the totality of anything, then you have successfully shut off the part of your brain responsible for critical thinking.

Let me reiterate for you, I work and teach in a university (something I will presume you do not) there are policies in place in regards to both safe spaces and trigger warnings. Students still learn, they still graduate, and debate still happens. You can continue to construct this fantasy where the blight of humanity is the regressive left all you like, that will never make it true, that will never make your outrage logical.

And here's a final caveat for you. Despite all of your vitriol and anger, and your misguided understandings, there is literally nothing you can do about it. I will still respect the virtue of a platform which provides all voices the opportunity to speak openly, and I will still offer warnings to students before I teach sensitive material because I respect that their trauma can be very real.

I don't coddle children, I ask them to think before they speak and respect one another, whatever has so poisoned the well in your mind has clearly blinded you to reality on this subject. I don't care if Ann Coulter comes and spouts her idiotic nonsense here, I don't care if a student group works tirelessly to get BDS through the senate committee, I don't care if pro-life groups host tables in the student centre and attempt to engage students in a dialogue. I care that universities not silence speech which has been historically oppressed. Diversity of opinion is true learning, because it reveals the difference that experience makes on an individuals context of the world around them. No, you don't shout down bad ideas, just like you don't shout over the trans speaker, you engage in a dialogue.
    Last edited by Finith; 2016-08-25 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Again, if all you have as an example is a few users making forum posts you haven't really seen anything (even mmo-c isn't an example of them being louder).

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    I think he means show real life version of someone going apeshit over it. The reverse has plently of youtube videos.
    Yeah that's what I meant, but even with the direction he went he's still wrong.

Diversity of opinion is true learning, because it reveals the difference that experience makes on an individuals context of the world around them. No, you don't shout down bad ideas, just like you don't shout over the trans speaker, you engage in a dialogue.
    If you actually think this you'd be against safe spaces.
    Last edited by Post; 2016-08-25 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.