Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    This thread is making me depressed. Remembering how I traded in my Palmino, Black Saber, and Blue Mech for the clammored new models on my gnome. I think several of you are thinking back with tinted glasses. 1000g was a lot, of which 900g was the training. 100g was the mount. I had one of each. Stormwind required explicitly doing all low quests before you were more than 5 levels over them for Stormwind and Darnassius. Then head to Swamp of Sorrows at lowest level possible and run crates to Nethergarde repeatedly. Since you couldn't turn off your xp, and too many potential runs could get you past the level where you even get rep anymore. Then onto Morrowgrain for cross rep on Darnassius, same thing, too high level and no more rep for you! Ironforge was impossible.

In all, it took time, but wasn't really any harder to get 1000g back then as it was to get 10,000g today. It really was not rare to see level 60s on epic mounts. I don't know of anyone at 60th that didn't have it within a month. No one that raided was ever on their slowbie. So, stop making that part out to be more dramatic than it was. What else were going to do between next weeks raid? What were peopel not raiding going to do other than grind remaining quests or dungeons and have money left over?
    Last edited by Tinc Metals; 2012-01-31 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinc Metals View Post
    This thread is making me depressed. Remembering how I traded in my Palmino, Black Saber, and Blue Mech for the clammored new models on my gnome. I think several of you are thinking back with tinted glasses. 1000g was a lot, of which 900g was the training. 100g was the mount. I had one of each. Stormwind required explicitly doing all low quests before you were more than 5 levels over them for Stormwind and Darnassius. Then head to Swamp of Sorrows at lowest level possible and run crates to Nethergarde repeatedly. Since you couldn't turn off your xp, and too many potential runs could get you past the level where you even get rep anymore. Then onto Morrowgrain for cross rep on Darnassius, same thing, too high level and no more rep for you! Ironforge was impossible.

In all, it took time, but wasn't really any harder to get 1000g back then as it was to get 10,000g today. It really was not rare to see level 60s on epic mounts. I don't know of anyone at 60th that didn't have it within a month. No one that raided was ever on their slowbie. So, stop making that part out to be more dramatic than it was. What else were going to do between next weeks raid? What were peopel not raiding going to do other than grind remaining quests or dungeons and have money left over?
    the 1000g for the training was introduced much later, the mounts themselves used to cost 1000g (900 with discount)

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    the 1000g for the training was introduced much later, the mounts themselves used to cost 1000g (900 with discount)
    I don't believe that to be true at all. You would need proof. Training was only 900g not 1000g. -10% for Honored existed from the start of the game. 1000g took time but wasn't difficult. Money from Mobs has not scaled up well [as compared to your damage] at all. I could still earn, not counting AH sales, the money in Silithus in a long two days. The dailies put the big money out there.

Rarest Achievements would be World Firsts. If no one has mentioned them yet. Next expansion there will be new ones to still earn.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    Correct. Each mount cost 1000g (900g if you had discount). There was no riding skill at that time. Your post makes you sound like a troll that didn't actually experience those first few months.

---------- Post added 2012-01-31 at 08:40 AM ----------

I don't believe that to be true at all. You would need proof. Training was only 900g not 1000g. -10% for Honored existed from the start of the game. 1000g took time but wasn't difficult. Money from Mobs has not scaled up well [as compared to your damage] at all. I could still earn, not counting AH sales, the money in Silithus in a long two days. The dailies put the big money out there.

Rarest Achievements would be World Firsts. If no one has mentioned them yet. Next expansion there will be new ones to still earn.
    Dailies didn't exist back then...

---------- Post added 2012-01-31 at 08:42 AM ----------

Patch 1.12.1 (2006-09-26): The cost structure and functionality of Riding and Mounts was changed.
    Prior to that patch, Riding was an ability rather than a secondary Profession, and had only one rank. Each faction had its own riding skill (tiger riding, horse riding, mechanostrider piloting, ram riding) and the cost was 20 , available at level 40. Exalted reputation was required to learn cross-faction riding skill, but mounts were Bind on Use and purchasable by anyone for 80 . This meant that characters who were PvP rank 3 or higher could pass on the 10% discount directly to other characters by buying the mount for them. This is no longer possible because all mounts are now Bind on Pickup, and the majority of the cost is built into the riding skill training (which is no longer faction-specific) rather than the cost of the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by blarwick View Post
    Correct. Each mount cost 1000g (900g if you had discount). There was no riding skill at that time. Your post makes you sound like a troll that didn't actually experience those first few months.
    You are the troll. Sick of players not playing back then trying to rose tint somethings, and prestige things that were not.
    Dailies didn't exist back then...
    Those came in BC. No where did I say or imply they were in classic. Learn to read everything, not just what you want. Nor was Dailies even my point.

My point was clearly that money from grinding trash has not scaled well after classic. Dailies is where majority of our money comes from today for the 1000s we pay now. 1000g from grinding crap, like Silithus, or while doing Timbermaw rep came easily enough. Hell anyone who maxed timbermaw should of had 1000g a few times over, due to the time. Hell, you could get the money after a few old tribute runs too.
    Patch 1.12.1 (2006-09-26): The cost structure and functionality of Riding and Mounts was changed.
    Prior to that patch, Riding was an ability rather than a secondary Profession, and had only one rank. Each faction had its own riding skill (tiger riding, horse riding, mechanostrider piloting, ram riding) and the cost was 20 , available at level 40. Exalted reputation was required to learn cross-faction riding skill, but mounts were Bind on Use and purchasable by anyone for 80 . This meant that characters who were PvP rank 3 or higher could pass on the 10% discount directly to other characters by buying the mount for them. This is no longer possible because all mounts are now Bind on Pickup, and the majority of the cost is built into the riding skill training (which is no longer faction-specific) rather than the cost of the mount.
    The first line is a quote from the patch. The rest of that is just your misguided ramblings. Throwing it after a legitimate quote in order for it to sound offical, fails you greatly. Though, likely to fool other people. Sorry that you are a Johnny Come Later that wants to pretend that each mount was 1000g. Sorry buck-o, no they were not. Nor were they rare for people to get. They're only rare now because blizzard hyped up the new models and anyone but anyone traded them in. Not aware that shortly afterwards they would take the old ones out. There was a small window where you could buy the old and trade for he new. There was even a short time after that you could trade and old to someone who didn't have it. That's when mounts became bind on pickup, a few weeks after they removed the old ones from the vendor for good.

Proof for the troll. I both had them, and cross mounted before AQ existed. The first one, infact. So who are you to me?
    Last edited by Tinc Metals; 2012-02-01 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Proof

Sorry Tinc Metals, but you're incorrect. It was in fact 1000g (before discounts) for each epic mount prior to 1.12. And as soon as 1.4 hit with the armoured mounts, the old mounts were no longer purchasable. But both old and new epic mounts weren't BoP until 1.12, so they could still be traded if someone had some unused.

It used to be 10g for riding skill, 90g for a 60% mount, and 1000g for a 100% mount.

The screenshot also doesn't prove anything, since that's not an epic mount. Striped Nightsaber is a lv 40 mount that's still purchasable.

Do I have screenshots of epic mounts costing 1000g? No, of course not, I don't take random pictures of a vendor's inventory. The most I can prove is that I still have my (Ancient) Frostsaber, so yes, I've been playing in Classic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcee View Post
    for you guys, what's the most rare and most dificult achievements in game?

imo, the most rare might be Tribute to Immortality, most difficult 250k HKs due to time consuming and maybe 2700 on 3s.
    Tribute to immortality is a FOS. As far as FOS go I'd say Scarab lord. Or those removed vanilla mounts (although I'm not sure if there are FOS for those as I never checked).

Edit: Oh yeah ... also those "realm first 85" and stuff FOS are arguable just as rare (or rarer) as Scarab lord I guess.

As for achievements I agree that 250k HKs is the rarest. (Excluding some DS ones as those are "new" and the currently unobtainable world event ones.)

"I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am". Is probably the rarest raid achievement. (Excluding some DS since "new".)
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2012-02-02 at 12:07 PM.

Insane is pretty common nowadays with the DMF rep being trivilized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    OP didn't ask for it to be limited to only currently obtainable ones, and even when it WAS obtainable, Scarab Lord was still one-per-server.
    OP asked for the most rare Achievement, and Scarab Lord is a Feat of Strenght. So i'd say it doesn't count, like other unobtainable FoS nowadays.

The hardest has to be the Salty meta (it includes Master Angler of Azeroth, someone mentioned it before); its difficulty and NRG make it hard at ANY levels.
    Same goes for Battlemaster.

What's with you and necroing half-year old threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    What's with you and necroing half-year old threads?
    i lol'd at this. but just to keep this non-spammy, I'd say the most rare achievement is The Captain's Booty, just because you can only get it once a year, on one day only.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

Deleted
    the insane by far for me, all those rep grinds, and there arent even "real" quests to do it, so its all about you killing mobs and seeing something like +7 +8 +4

I Can't Hear You Over the Sound of How Awesome I Am.

I'm so proud to have that, too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinaria View Post
    Scarab Lord isn't hard, It isn't even obtainable any more.
    I'd say Frostbitten/Bloody Rare
    Scarab Lord isnt hard? lets see.

R1 achievements require you to get good teammates. 2 good teammates
    Oldschool ride required you to get 1k gold back in the day. most people bought it but traded it in. hence why its so rare now

Scarab Lord required you to get 39 top-tier raiding people
    Dedication of the Whole server. Yes alliance and horde had to team up together to farm a champion.
    You had to farm around 8000 bugs wich took 100 hours+
    Go through endgame raids in vanilla.

Both faction needed to gather:

90,000 x Copper Bar (1 Signet)
    26,000 x Purple Lotus (7 Signets)
    80,000 x Thick Leather (7 Signets)
    17,000 x Spotted Yellowtail (7 Signets)
    400,000 x Runecloth Bandage (10 Signets)

The Alliance needs to gather in the Military Ward of Ironforge:

28,000 x Iron Bar (5 Signets)
    24,000 x Thorium Bar (10 Signets)
    20,000 x Arthas' Tears (10 Signets)
    33,000 x Stranglekelp (3 Signets)
    180,000 x Light Leather (1 Signet)
    110,000 x Medium Leather (3 Signets)
    20,000 x Roast Raptor (5 Signets)
    14,000 x Rainbow Fin Albacore (3 Signets)
    800,000 x Linen Bandage (1 Signet)
    600,000 x Silk Bandage (5 Signets)

The horde needed to gather:

22,000 x Tin Bar (3 Signets)
    18,000 x Mithril Bar (7 Signets)
    96,000 x Peacebloom (1 Signet)
    19,000 x Firebloom (5 Signets)
    60,000 x Heavy Leather (5 Signets)
    60,000 x Rugged Leather (10 Signets)
    10,000 x Lean Wolf Steak (1 Signets)
    10,000 x Baked Salmon (10 Signets)
    250,000 x Wool Bandage (3 Signets)
    250,000 x Mageweave Bandage (7 Signets)

This was the most time consuming questline in wow, and only one or two came out at top. Do you see all those cloths?
    thats 10000 times a oldschool epic mount back in the day.
    and your saying it wasnt hard, even in WOTLK you couldnt solo it. I hope your joking lol, clearly you dont know anything

so for me :

atiesh, scarab lord, oldschool ride. not in any order

Quote Originally Posted by Loqmani View Post
    -SNIP-
    How do you people even find these old threads?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loqmani View Post
    atiesh, scarab lord, oldschool ride. not in any order
    You realise you're responding to a 4 year old thread, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably took him 4 years to compile that list

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I read the first post and thought, "Heroic Rag? Hard? Back in the day it was...Oh. This thread is from back in the day." Necroposting ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustakrakish View Post
    Sigh, people are still misinformed about Scarab Lord. It is one per server. If you see more than one a server then they transferred here. The first person to bang the gong got the title and the mount. Any other people who banged the gong within a 10 hour window only got the mount.
    OT I'd have to say Bloodthirsty and Atiesh.
    Wrong. I know 2 people that got it on 1 server back in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    How do you people even find these old threads?!
    Google. /10