Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The EU should facilitate a deal that is in the best interests of Germany and Britain, that means Germany and Britain deciding what is in their best interests, not some random bod in the EU saying "But we need to punish the UK for being meanies". However the EU cannot be trusted to act in the best interests of Germany and it is Merkel's duty as head of Germany to make sure she gets the best deal.

The EU has its priorities wrong, it should be member states and citizens first, the EU political body itself should not even be a consideration, they are just the admin department.
    How is ignoring the interests of every member state except germany acting in the best interests of it´s member states?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How is ignoring the interests of every member state except germany acting in the best interests of it´s member states?
    The EU would not act in the interests of the member states though, that is the problem, so the likes of Merkel have to do it themselves. This is a major problem with the EU, they prioritise themselves over the member states and that is backwards to what it should be.

The EU is the servant that wants to be the master.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    just look at whats happening in the EU 1. terrorist attacks more than ever cos of angela merkle letting anyone from the middle east in 2. a failing currency which has been worse off than the £ for quite awhile even with the brexit vote 3. high unemployment in the south of europe which is close to 50% in countries such as portugal and spain for the young 4. more bailouts for greece,italy and others, paid for by the richest members of the EU, which are france,germany,UK and others How long do you think the EU will last, 10 years? 20 years? THE EU will NOT last as its crumbling apart and with al lthe stuff above mentioned its like a crack in a windscreen eventually its gonna break
    Biggest problem with EU atm is Germany's hegemony. (period)

15+ Year Old Account
    The EU would not act in the interests of the member states though, that is the problem, so the likes of Merkel have to do it themselves. This is a major problem with the EU, they prioritise themselves over the member states and that is backwards to what it should be.

Do you have a solution or are you just imagining how it should work without actually thinking about if that´s even possible?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

So you propose that everyone should do whatever is best for them regardless of the others? Because then everyone will be better off? Thats obviously not going to happen. Decisions of single countries can be to the detrimental to other member states. Just a very exaggerated example: If Merkel promises every GB citizen a german citizenship all other countries would have to treat them as EU citizens. With all that comes with it. Following this logic I think my country should start selling citizenships. It would be bad for all other members but hey we would make loads of money. And thats all that counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a solution or are you just imagining how it should work without actually thinking about if that´s even possible?
    The solution would be that the EU political body realises its place and acts in the interests of the member states, never in its own interests, even if those interests are detrimental to the EU body. Unfortunately people like to power grab, hence the need for major reform in the EU.

We have a situation which is akin to an administration department in a company dictating company policy to the board members, they should be just sorting mail and making sure there is enough stationary. They need to learn their place in the hierarchy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    So you propose that everyone should do whatever is best for them regardless of the others? Because then everyone will be better off? Thats obviously not going to happen. Decisions of single countries can be to the detrimental to other member states. Just a very exaggerated example: If Merkel promises every GB citizen a german citizenship all other countries would have to treat them as EU citizens. With all that comes with it. Following this logic I think my country should start selling citizenships. It would be bad for all other members but hey we would make loads of money. And thats all that counts.
    No, that is not what I said. That is what will happen with the EU as it currently stands, due to heads of government not trusting that the EU will act in the interests of anyone other than the EU political body, so the heads of those member states will take it upon themselves to do what is necessary.

15+ Year Old Account
    The solution would be that the EU political body realises its place and acts in the interests of the member states, never in its own interests, even if those interests are detrimental to the EU body. Unfortunately people like to power grab, hence the need for major reform in the EU.
    Ok, have you been drinking?

We have a situation which is akin to an administration department in a company dictating company policy to the board members, they should be just sorting mail and making sure there is enough stationary. They need to learn their place in the hierarchy.
    That´s not even remotely comparable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Biggest problem with EU atm is Germany's hegemony. (period)
    No the biggest problem is that Greece, Poland, Bulgaria and other poor Nations were let into the EU. They take more then they contribute and demand special snowflake benefits at every moment from bigger economies, while contributing very little.

EUs gone to hell since the EE were let in.

Yeah, won't happen. It's nationalists wet dream, but couldn't be more detached from reality.

The EU was an awful idea. It was a way for Germany to take economic control over the whole region by forcing everyone to a common currency. Will it collapse? Eventually, but I don't know how long that will be. As Keynes once said, "in the long run we are all dead."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    No the biggest problem is that Greece, Poland, Bulgaria and other poor Nations were let into the EU. They take more then they contribute and demand special snowflake benefits at every moment from bigger economies, while contributing very little.

You are aware that Germany wants these poor nations on their currency right? It is beneficial to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, have you been drinking?

That´s not even remotely comparable.
    Except we saw it with the statements made by members within the EU in comparison to what the likes of Merkel said in respect of Brexit. The administration department (EU political body) is trying to dictate what the board (EU member states) does.

The analogy is fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully,although removing an entrenched, corrupt, dictatorial powers claiming, Billions of euro stealing, "nobility" beurocrats who answer to no one is a bit of a task to undertake.
    Good Luck to you guys and gals on that side of the pond. We have our own "problem" with those types here. With luck she'll be hung for treason in January 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post

In retrospective I am pretty sure most people see that as an error as well. Although it made sense back then. EE was that part that was constantly 2 steps before tearing itself apart again. But now after (or better during) an economic crisis everyone feels the burden of having to carry those countries financially.

- - - Updated - - -

Except we saw it with the statements made by members within the EU in comparison to what the likes of Merkel said in respect of Brexit. The administration department (EU political body) is trying to dictate what the board (EU member states) does.

The analogy is fine.
    The "order" if you want to call it like this was to not negotiate until britain formally invokes article 50. Which makes sense however you put it. Pressing forward to get the biggest piece of the cake is just selfish to the cost of all others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It probably will. Britain had a 'good' deal with the union and we left. Countries with worse deals could follow.

Personally I'd like to see it disband.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    The "order" if you want to call it like this was to not negotiate until britain formally invokes article 50. Which makes sense however you put it. Pressing forward to get the biggest piece of the cake is just selfish to the cost of all others.
    Germany should not handicap itself due to an administrative technicality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    The EU was an awful idea. It was a way for Germany to take economic control over the whole region by forcing everyone to a common currency. Will it collapse? Eventually, but I don't know how long that will be. As Keynes once said, "in the long run we are all dead."
    EU is not the same thing as the Eurozone.

You are aware that Germany wants these poor nations on their currency right? It is beneficial to them.
    You do know the Euro was a currency forced onto Germany as a reguirement for reunification. Dont blame the Germans for turning your own weapon against you.
    Last edited by mmocaa0d295f44; 2016-08-25 at 06:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

The analogy is fine.
    With EU political body you´re talking about the european commission? So they are working in the best interrests of the company (EU) and not their repsective 'departments' (each member state). Or are in your company no departments?

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    No it won't. It simply can't. Too big to fail for International economy
    I didn't say European states will collapse, I said their union will collapse because it's acting like a political union, when it is, in fact, a mere trade union.

Germany should not handicap itself due to an administrative technicality.
    Ok in that case: Come now everyone all around the globe. The Austrian Embassies all around the world are now selling EU citizenships. Travel straight to Germany and enjoy welfare without anybody being able to stop you legally. Get your EU citizenship now for only 100 bucks and a cow.

Because you know. Austria should not be handicaped because of an administratvie technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    just look at whats happening in the EU 1. terrorist attacks more than ever cos of angela merkle letting anyone from the middle east in 2. a failing currency which has been worse off than the £ for quite awhile even with the brexit vote 3. high unemployment in the south of europe which is close to 50% in countries such as portugal and spain for the young 4. more bailouts for greece,italy and others, paid for by the richest members of the EU, which are france,germany,UK and others How long do you think the EU will last, 10 years? 20 years? THE EU will NOT last as its crumbling apart and with al lthe stuff above mentioned its like a crack in a windscreen eventually its gonna break
    Actually, we had more terrorist attacks 20-30 years ago than we have now so, you know.

Also, not all countries are dong poorly. The EU not going to "crumble" anytime soon.