Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So by your logic the developer is bad and we should punish them by not playing a game we like?
    THE GAME IS GOOD. It doesn't automatically become bad because the developer made false promises.
    More subjective fanboy nonsense.

The people arguing against this game have actually posted factual, objective evidence to back up what theyre saying about Hello Games and NMS. All the biased fanboys can do in this thread is continue to post their own subjective opinions of why they enjoy the game personally and then act like that is some form of valid defense of all the things wrong with the dev, game, and the situation as a whole.

It's becoming quite pathetic at this point honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    More subjective bullshit that a vast majority of people seem to disagree with. Countless videos, streams, and articles have strongly stated the exact opposite of what you're saying. Just because something is a different color, it has more legs, and another planet has some trees doesn't equate to something different enough to say "it's not the same thing!" when in fact the whole game is just a repetitive shitshow of different color palettes.
    Why did you buy the game? You seem more butt hurt than some of the youtubers who thought this game was going to be the prince that was promised.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing pathetic in this thread is the bucket of tears youre filling over a game you dont play.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    you know... its great that people are enjoying the game as it is, it still doesn't change the fact that the game you bought is not the game that was advertised
    That's a lie. The game I bought is exactly the game that was advertised. maybe we are talking about two different games? The real one and the one you imagined by inferring much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Do you actually consider it a "good" game or you simply happen to like it despite its flaws?
    What's the difference? No, really? Are you going to pretend to have the OBJECTIVE knowledge that the game is indeed bad?

He likes it = the game is good. You don't like it = the game is bad. For you and for him respectively.

Objectively the game is neither good nor bad. It just is. Because good and bad are subjective as hell.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's a lie. The game I bought is exactly the game that was advertised. maybe we are talking about two different games? The real one and the one you imagined by inferring much?
    the game you bought is missing a ton of features that were advertised AND confirmed by Shawn with not a "we hope to add" or "we are working on" but definitive - yes, its in game. on video. not even text or hearsay - VIDEO INTERVIEWS.

I didn't infer anything. I didn't buy a game, because despite all the yeses, I had a feeling in my gut that something is off. that and $60 tag for a game I wasn't sure if I would like or not" - put me off.

I DID however follow the news about it, in part becasue I was this much on a fence about it. so yes, the game that was shipped is a shell of the game that was advertised. it doesn't matter that you are enjoying the game and not missing those features. it. doesn't. matter. good for you, but it doesn't change the fact that features that were confirmed to be in game? are not in game.

I'm very happy that I listened to my gut. because worst case scenario - features don't get added, but the game drops in price relatively quickly to something I would actualy be willing to pay, the way kingdoms of Amaleur did...

to reiterate. if Shawn would say "we are working on, we are hoping to," etc etc? people would NOT be as upset. but he definitively confirmed things. a lot of people bought their copies based on those confirmations, for those features that are missing. it doesn't matter that you don't care about those features. it matters that they were advertised to be in game AND ARE NOT.

10+ Year Old Account
    the game you bought is missing a ton of features that were advertised AND confirmed by Shawn with not a "we hope to add" or "we are working on" but definitive - yes, its in game. on video. not even text or hearsay - VIDEO INTERVIEWS.
    All taken out of context. I watched all interviews - the only feature that is missing is the ability to name ship classes. Which I believe to have been cut for obvious reasons and probably after Sony's insistence.
    I didn't infer anything. I didn't buy a game
    You didn't buy the game. You claim the game is not as advertised. Then you say with a straight face that you are not inferring anything? LMAO.

Why are you even here complaining about false advertising if you didn't even buy the game? That's a rhetorical question.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

All taken out of context. I watched all interviews - the only feature that is missing is the ability to name ship classes. Which I believe to have been cut for obvious reasons and probably after Sony's insistence.

You didn't buy the game. You claim the game is not as advertised. Then you say with a straight face that you are not inferring anything? LMAO.

Why are you even here complaining about false advertising if you didn't even buy the game? That's a rhetorical question.
    lol. I don't know how out of context can "is this feature in game - yes," can be. but whatever. you enjoy the game. that's fine. I enjoyed DA2 to pieces as well. our personal enjoyment has NOTHING to do with the facts. and I don't need to buy a game to watch playthroughs of people demonstrating something not working as advertised.

denial is not just a river in egypt, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Nobody is to blame but the buyer when they buy a product that doesn't live up to their expectations. Nobody was holding a gun to their head telling them to buy it before it even came out. In fact the buyer completely refused the ability and right to check out the actual game and product before buying it.
    There is a big difference between making trumped up emotional claims about how great something is, and outright falsification and lies. With the above burger picture: Had more care been taken in preparing it and used the appropriate amount of toppings, it would at least be a close approximation of the one on the left. And with WoW: Box art is done by a different department well in advance and prior to the game coming out the devs had came forward and said those features wouldn't actually be making it into the game. Meanwhile the lead developer of Hello Games, right up to release, was making claims of features being in the game that he knew were patently false. Including some things we literally cannot find any evidence of them having ever worked on, considering files for the deprecated PS3 and 360 versions are still in the final build.

This is more like Tesla taking pre-orders for the Model X and then they deliver a Chevy Spark to you. No amount of after market modding will allow the Spark to be a Model X by any stretch of the imagination. But that's okay because it still has 4 doors and "electricity" in the name, right?

Please tell us how you are able to play with your friends and grief other players.

Deleted
    Saying that NMS content is fairly limited is not a "hyperbole" mate.
    Which is exactly not what he said mate
    He said all the content in the game is accessible in the first system, ergo the first 3 planets, mate. Which just isn't true mate.

Welcome to reading comprehension.

Mate​.

hy·per·bo·le

n.A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in "I could sleep for a year" or "This bookweighs a ton."

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I feel like the biggest complaint I'm hearing is about the lack of multiplayer...maybe they could have done it but cut it out last second? Not as a technical choice but a design one? I know I don't think I would like the game as much with multiplayer.
    Multiplayer is the most obvious because it was definitely proven they lied. They said it was in, there was pvp and looting... and the datastream sent by the game does not even register the location of other players. The streamers who were standing at the same point proved them wrong. It was binary, no wiggle room. Probably the other really binary lie was naming ships.

A lot of the rest of the stuff is grey and the fanboys can explain it away. They talked about factions like this big complex system where you could join fights on one side or the other, where there would be all these ramifications of factions.. when in fact, the only noticeable effect are some random conversation options.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're still trying to act like what Hello Games did was ok simply because other devs do it too and that is just the norm in the games industry. That is why no one can take you seriously and your opinion really means fuck all at this point. You are basically defending devs lying to consumers, doing a shitty or lackluster job, and then charging people full price for a completely different and/or bad product.

It's downright laughable how you seem to think we should all just bend over and take it from a game dev simply because "that's just how it is." For someone who continues to claim about how grown up and mature they are, your wisdom and advice is some of the worst I've ever heard.
    The thing is, your posts are pretty much identical to most overhyped games ever released.

Every single WoW expansion release is "The worst release ever" with servers going down non stop and endless bugs that make the game "unplayable". The devs lie, remove features, give you too much to do or too little to do. That is, until the next expansion releases, then that expansion's release is THE WORST ONE EVER (even if it was objectively better with less server down time and less bugs).

It was the same with Age of Conan. Tons of features left out, no content past level 60, endless crying about that.

Same with Wildstar, same with Lord of the Rings Online, same with Everscrolls Online...

Same with every single game that's been overhyped in the last 15+ years.

There's features missing, or the devs lied about something, or there's nothing to do, or there's too much to do, and the people who feel cheated, scammed, etc. spend weeks if not months on the forums bitching and moaning about it. Such a miserable existence to be trapped in a state of mind where you have to convince others to hate a game as much as you do.

A lot of us have learned that this is just how the dev cycle works, and you have two options if you "don't like to take it", you can either just take dev comments with two grains of salt, and put their comments in the back of your mind and not take them as "promises", or you can not play games. Your choice. That or you can go be a dev and then find out just how hard promises are to keep, then get jaded and bitter towards whiny and entitled gamers.

And here's the thing, you're still under the mindset that they do this to be malicious and hurt you, to scam you and take your money and run and yet... refunds are so easy in this day and age. No, they don't do it maliciously. Devs have two options, they either share features with their raving, drooling fans, or they remain tight lipped. If they do the former and can't deliver on that feature, then fans get upset and cry about how they lied, get bitter, get angry, etc. If they do the latter, their fans get angry and bitter that their game is such a secret, and start making up all kinds of conspiracies about how the game is so terrible that they have to hide it behind closed doors. And yes, this does happen. They have to find a balance.

I fully expect the first few weeks/months of Legion to be filled with whines and cries about something the devs hurt people's feelings with. People are already predicting it's going to be "There's too much to do and I feel overwhelmed" like in MoP, where people felt compelled to do so many dailies just to keep up, and the devs said that this expansion would allow for casual play, BUT THEY LIED TO US QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.

Continuing to say that just because other devs have done it before should make it ok or that we should just expect it at this point does not justify any other dev still doing it as well. Sorry, but you seem to be failing to grasp simple logic and morals in this entire situation. You keep defending Hello Games for doing all the retarded shit they did simply because other devs do it too. That's so idiotic and backwards I don't even know how we can help you at this point.
    I have said that them saying certain features were going to be a part of the game was a big mistake on their part. It's you who seems to think I'm defending them, so the only thing I can think of is me declaring your declaration that they maliciously lied to you as being bullshit. Which it is. Devs have no reason to maliciously lie to their players in this kind of gaming climate. Neglectful fibs where they don't know that a feature is going to make it into the final version for sure or not? Sure, and that's a bad thing for devs to do. They often get too excited and share features before they are fully ready. Then they're in deep shit when they can't get it to working and they've already said it would be coming.

The only defending I'm doing here is trying to give you some insight into why these interviews happen, and how the development process works. I've openly said they made mistakes with talking about certain features in certain ways. It's you who can't admit when you're wrong.

If you watch developer interviews before a game's release, you will continue to get your hopes up only for them to be let down. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is. Take dev interviews and comments with two grains of salt, and you'll be much less of a bitter person. It's not that they're deliberately lying to you, but they make the mistake of sharing stuff that is not fully working yet, and may not ever make it into the final version.

And again, you're still talking as if you're "taking it" as if they developers are intentionally lying maliciously to hurt you, when they're not. You insist you don't have to take it, as if you can somehow change the game development process. These features aren't left out because the devs go "man let's remove these features so that we can piss everyone off!" They just fail to implement them for some reason or another, but are forced to release the game by their producers anyway. They do the interviews with the full intent of implementing those features. And just can't make it in time. That's how it works. You're not going to change it by convincing people to stop buying the games. And you're not. Your bitter forum crusade is only going to make people dig in deeper into their position. If you were a more reasonable person, they might actually listen to you. But instead you act like an asshole then expect people to come to your side.

So again, please gain some perspective, and stop believing that the devs are sitting there trying to think of how to pee in your cheerios. They're not.

- - - Updated - - -

More subjective fanboy nonsense.

The people arguing against this game have actually posted factual, objective evidence to back up what theyre saying about Hello Games and NMS. All the biased fanboys can do in this thread is continue to post their own subjective opinions of why they enjoy the game personally and then act like that is some form of valid defense of all the things wrong with the dev, game, and the situation as a whole.

And yet the people who like the game have proven a lot of that "factual evidence" to be wrong through exploration.

Seriously, you're starting to sound pretty desperate by saying your position is objective and that everyone else is subjective. It's the mark of someone who has no clue what they're talking about.

Both sides have points, and you're refusing to acknowledge any makes you look really bad.

It's kind of pathetic.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-25 at 08:52 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Please tell us how you are able to play with your friends and grief other players.
    I play in the same game universe with my friends online just fine and you can't be serious implying that grieving players is a "feature"

Yes, there is a difference believe it or not.
    There's not
    The quality of a product it’s not based on your personal opinion
    The quality is subjective. Especially in games. Which are very subjective.
    Don't let your PERSONAL opinion pose to be OBJECTIVE reality.

I play in the same game universe with my friends online just fine and you can't be serious implying that grieving players is a "feature"
    Playing in the same universe at the same time as other people does not equal playing with them. You know very well what "playing with friends" in a game means, which is why I think you're just arguing for the sake of it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing in the same universe at the same time as other people does not equal playing with them.
    It does. They didn't promise coop and said several times it's not a multiplayer game. In the same INTERVIEWS in which they "lied" about it being the next call of duty.

You know very well what "playing with friends" in a game means, which is why I think you're just arguing for the sake of it here.
    I know very well all the shades of playing with friends. Just because you inferred the maximum version doesn't mean they lied. Especially considering the fact that they WARNED that it's not a multiplayer game.

It does. They didn't promise coop and said several times it's not a multiplayer game. In the same INTERVIEWS in which they "lied" about it being the next call of duty.
    Except that Sean repeatedly answered that yes, the game would have multiplayer. Including references to needing to have other players tell you what you look like and that griefing other players "in a way" was possible.

They may have tried to downplay multiplayer, but they were pretty clear that the game would have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except that Sean repeatedly answered that yes, the game would have multiplayer. Including references to needing to have other players tell you what you look like and that griefing other players "in a way" was possible.

They may have tried to downplay multiplayer, but they were pretty clear that the game would have it.
    He also talked about losing your inventory to other players.

I know very well all the shades of playing with friends. Just because you inferred the maximum version doesn't mean they lied.
    I wonder if you wrote that with a straight face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, taken out of context. What was the question? Is it in the same line as "Q: Can you land on a comet? A: Well, yeah, at the moment, you can land on an asteroid"
    Note the tense of the question and the tense of the answer and remember that he is not a PR guy. He's a software engineer. You have to ask the right questions.

So what was the question? "What are your plans for multiplayer?" or "Will there be coop in final version of the game?"

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if you wrote that with a straight face.
    <<<<<< is that straight enough for you

Again, taken out of context. What was the question? Is it in the same line as "Q: Can you land on a comet? A: Well, yeah, at the moment, you can land on an asteroid"
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ns-sky-really/

“Can you run into other people,” asked Colbert, “other players on the game?”

“Yes, but the chances of that are incredibly rare just because the size of what we’re building.”
    What's the "context" here? He was flat out asked if you could run into other players, he said yes with his usual "BUT OUR GAME IS SO BIG!" caveat. Here's another (from the article as well)

Murray was asked if you could see your own character in the game. He said no.

“The only way for you to know what you look like is for, you know, for somebody else to see you.”
    If there was no multiplayer where you could see/interact with other players, then he should not have given this answer. This answer indicates that yes, there will be a multiplayer mode where you can physically (in-game) see other players.

So what context am I missing?

Note the tense of the question and the tense of the answer and remember that he is not a PR guy. He's a software engineer. You have to ask the right questions.
    That's not an excuse. If Sony, who backed the hell out of the game on the marketing front (including paying for him to get on Colbert, that shit doesn't happen for free), didn't want to media train him that's not our problem. Engineering folks often talk to media, and while they're not always the most savvy communicators they're usually getting media training before talking to major press outlets (or late night shows).

So even if your theory is right (it's not), it would be due to Sean basically being incapable of clearly communicating during interviews and on stage, which makes the decision by Hello Games and Sony to use him as the spokesperson for the game terrible. Which is kinda a major fucking issue on its own.

7+ Year Old Account
    All this talk of "whiny, entitled gamers" ... lol. Just lol.

When I lay down money for anything, I expect my butt to be thoroughly kissed and absolutely no disappointment to be had by me.

I'm fairly live and let live when it comes to most things. When I feel I've wasted my money, that changes.

Entitled? You bet. If I spend money ( which I took time out of my life to earn), he or she who takes my money had better give me 100% satisfaction, or they will never see another dime from me. And I will badmouth them to anyone who cares to listen.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not an excuse. If Sony, who backed the hell out of the game on the marketing front (including paying for him to get on Colbert, that shit doesn't happen for free), didn't want to media train him that's not our problem. Engineering folks often talk to media, and while they're not always the most savvy communicators they're usually getting media training before talking to major press outlets (or late night shows).

So even if your theory is right (it's not), it would be due to Sean basically being incapable of clearly communicating during interviews and on stage, which makes the decision by Hello Games and Sony to use him as the spokesperson for the game terrible. Which is kinda a major fucking issue on its own.
    This too. Using tech people as your public face is just plain ole stooopid. PR department, anyone?