Poll: Why did Varian get a memorial while Vol'jin didn't?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    When has a Troll ever erected a Monument to honor their dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawclaw View Post
    People still complain about Horde bias. Honestly, if Vol'jin doesn't come back this pretty much cements that if ANYONE is getting favoritism, it's the Alliance. I get that having a huge monument would not be fitting, but they should at least have his ashes in a protected area guarded by the Shadow Hunters.
    Lol what? I don't think so man. If we are keeping score, which seems stupid... then you are way way way way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Horde had 1.3-1.4 badass cinematic. Over half of Horde's Broken Shore cinematic is copy-paste of the Alliance one and focuses on the Alliance. If you cut that part out, the remaining actually Horde part of Horde's Broken Shore cinematic combined with their new Warchief cinematic is still shorter than Alliance one. Which is why the Horde got another one to compensate.
    If you cut out the copy paste for one side, you have to cut out both.

Deleted
    Vol'jin got burned on a pyre while the people of the Horde vowed for Retribution. Different cultures folks

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Horde got their own post-Broken Shore cinematic, though; I'd call that a fair enough trade for a re-purposed area in Stormwind. The Horde will honor Vol'jin's memory and deeds through actions, they don't really go in for elaborate memorials and such.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Vol'jin got burned on a pyre while the people of the Horde vowed for Retribution. Different cultures folks
    What!? Horde bias! Why didn't the people of Stormwind and the Alliance gather round and vow for retribution?!!?!? /s

Does his father have a monument? The only horde monument that comes to mind is Hellscream's in Ashenvale. We don't need monuments to remember our ancestors.
    Also Darkspeah nevah die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Lol what? I don't think so man. If we are keeping score, which seems stupid... then you are way way way way off.
    I'd agree with you. Keeping score is really stupid, I'm using it to counter people who use "score" to claim Horde bias. There's no real faction bias, I just feel like Blizzard got uncreative with Vol'jin since people weren't complaining about Orgrimmar missing an area that they could end up using for a Vol'jin memorial.

If you cut out the copy paste for one side, you have to cut out both.
    OK, I cut out the copy paste focusing on the other faction from the Alliance's cinematic. Weirdly enough the result in terms of faction content didn't change at all.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-08-26 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Stormwind park was destroyed for years and they finally fixed it now after Org had got several remodels and fixes since cata, that was after they said they would repair it in WoD but then pushed it back further. It's not really much more than them just replacing the park with a grave sight.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    I logged over to my Darkspear to check out Vol'jin's memorial in Orgrimmar, and found... nothing. Why was I not surprised? What do you suppose Blizz's reasoning was?
    They wanted to put Stormwind Park back in and just decided to throw in Varians memorial

Probably because Varian died a hero while Voljin died as a coward running away.

Deleted
    What!? Horde bias! Why didn't the people of Stormwind and the Alliance gather round and vow for retribution?!!?!? /s
    I asked the Question why we can't have a Paladin Theocracy? After all Varian sucked, giving the Horde territory after he beat them instead if demanding Alliance territory back and reparations and Anduin will probably let the children of Stormwind die while fleeing when the Horde attacks next week.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    Probably because Varian died a hero while Voljin died as a coward running away.
    /thread

Varian really died hero who sacrifice himself to save his people. When Vol'jin get rekted and carried to Ogri.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    OK, I cut out the copy paste focusing on the other faction from the Alliance's cinematic. Weirdly enough the result in terms of faction content didn't change at all.
    Not really what I said.

Well, i can't imagine any Horde race, except Blood Elves, making a monument for someone.
    And regarding the discussion of how Vol'jin and Varian died i guess Varian knows that even if he die the alliance was in a good spot, he had a successor. In the other hand Vol'Jin knew that the Horde just came out of a civil war and there was no clear successor for him, so he couldn't die there and left the horde without a leader, i think thats why he didn't die at the battlefield. But thats just my opinion.

Apparently people don't realize that if they made a monument to him his spirit would be bound to it. Why would they punish him like that when his spirit is with his ancestors now?

Seriously, before you complain at least understand what you're talking about.

Not really what I said.
    Considering that your reply to me deliberately missed the point in the first place, no shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horde didn't get an extra cinematic or anything

Especially when they can only make so many cinematics for an xpac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stormwind was damaged since Cataclysm. Orgrimmar got multiple updates all through MoP. Let the Alliance have a nice Park with a neat monument to make up for how long it took the masons to fix the damn thing.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I went back on another Horde alt and got the toys. They are account wide, so once you have them your Alliance toons can use them too.

I would agree on further reflection that the Horde does not have a history of monuments like the one for Varian, but the Trolls certainly have a history of building shrines to their Loa. So maybe someday...

I played through the Horde side of Broken Shores again. I've played both sides twice now. I don't have a bias toward one faction or the other, so when I speak of how Blizz treats them differently it is more idle speculation and curiosity than anything.

Anyone criticizing the Horde's withdrawal is not being objective. Essentially all the leaders made the same decision: they retreated when their position became impossible and staying would mean annihilation. This happened for the Horde moments before it happened for the Alliance, but it happened to both and all leaders responded similarly.

Vol'jin dies with honor. He was an active participant in all the fighting. The fight that brought him down also felled Thrall. Anyone who actually played both sides, instead of just watching the video, can tell you there were 10x as many demons on the Horde side of that ridge. My bear was doing 124k dps just using thrash & swipe, without really trying of using buffs, etc. We were buried under a mountain of demons. The Alliance side had dozens at a time; the Horde side at the end had so many it was impossible to count. They weren't in neat rows in front of Gul'dan; they were just coming in droves until your screen was a blur of green with flashing red damage numbers.

Varian got the most epic send-off of any hero in Blizz history. Mad props. I wonder what it must feel like to be Anduin. The new animated feature is pretty good.

I will always feel like they could have done more with Vol'jin. Yes I hear eveyone who says he never did much; that's my point - Blizz could have done so much more with him. Maybe he'll be more epic in death than he was in life. That would be suiting for a Shadow Hunter.

And I continue to suspect Blizz doesn't spend much time thinking about developing heroes for all races to look up to. Who do the Darkspear have now? They focused a lot on class fantasy for this xpac. Maybe we'll get more focus on racial/cultural lore and heroes in a future one.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"