Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Get one where you can easily cover it up, research where to get one well, and do not shy away from paying a lot of money for it. You really do get what you pay for with tattoo artists.

Also as suggested, you should look to getting it done in henna first. They aren't permanent and will give you a good idea of what you'll be getting.
    RETH

Put it on your butt. That way only the people you know well will see it and medical staff.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by opeth150 View Post
    Honestly I say this being a very heavily tattooed male. DON'T...or at least not yet.

Here is my honest answer to this:.

Hand draw it on your arm for a few months. Nothing big, and doesn't even need to be on your forearm. Look at it every day, and after a month or two and you still want it then well go ahead and do it. You would be amazed how many people regret getting their first one. I know I regretted mine and eventually got it covered up.
    I've been thinking about doing this, and I'll probably end up doing that to see if I like the idea. Good point.

Placement: DON'T. Most high end tattoo shops most likely wont allow you to get it on your neck as your first tattoo. The neck still has a pretty high stigma to it. While overall tattoos are becoming the norm and more and more acceptable, the neck is still a bit off limits for employers.
    Yup. I'd only get in the neck because of the original character, but I'd probably end up with it in my back.

research: IFFF you do get it OP, while it is a pretty simple design DUE RESEARCH. it is amazing how many bad tattooers are out there because they can pull a straight line. Look for someone who does a ton of line work. Don't go cheap! You get what you pay for. Honestly around my area that tattoo would be probably the minium shop price at around 80 bucks. YES 80 is high but these are top end award winning tattooers.
    After all, it is my body.

Thank you sir. Your response was gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Put it on your butt. That way only the people you know well will see it and medical staff.
    Yeah, like an M on on each cheek so it will spell MoM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I've been in love with Berserk for many years, and I don't see this love fading away soon. I'm very confident about what I want to tattoo - I'm just insecure about the consequences of it.
    If you are uncertain about the consequences than maybe you should keep thinking about it until you are certain you a tattoo. However if you want it right now, I would suggest getting a tattoo on a less prominent spot on your body. For example on your shoulder. So it is much easier to hide, which may come in handy as you said your family is conservative and might very well not approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hand draw it on your arm for a few months. Nothing big, and doesn't even need to be on your forearm. Look at it every day, and after a month or two and you still want it then well go ahead and do it. You would be amazed how many people regret getting their first one. I know I regretted mine and eventually got it covered up.
    I can vouch for this. I went and had the tattoo artist draw my wanted tattoo on me using a sharpie of some sorts. Lasted for about two weeks. Gave me time to get used to it before making it permanent

Deleted
    Have it somewhere where no one will see it, unless you're naked and nobody will ever know?

If you really like Berserk so much and want to emulate Guts, just cut your arm off. Or maybe your eye? Because that's about as smart as getting that stupid tattoo that no one will recognize on your neck. Even if someone did recognize it, the symbol is practically a holocaust Jewish marking that got tattoo'ed on. It's completely negative.

It's your choice but as someone who actually reads the manga and has a bias against tattoos, what you want to do it dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have several problems to think about.

Work: Today it may not matter and you get hired. Now, how will that play out with how fast (or if) certain promotions come? What if that manager is cool with it, and gets replaced by someone who isn't. What if your coworkers are OK with it, but Aunt Agnes and the other types who are almost as old as bungee talk about it and also talk to your managers?

Content: Tattoos alone get met by some judgmental people. Anime get met by some judgmental people. Getting an anime related tattoo on your neck, particularly with the meaning that one seems to have ... may multiply your problems.
    Edit:<bungee looks up the screen after posting> I rest my case.

"When I'm 64 ..." Not all tattoos age well. Now, imagine you're getting on in years and start encountering kids who want to know why you have a faded spider tattooed on your neck. "Were you a sex worker? In school we heard that traffickers and pimps mark their girls! Kids (yours, your sister/brother's, random kids just being kids) can probably manage more embarrassing and annoying exchanges. Let's say that only happens a time or two a month, how's your sense of humor going to hold up the 117th time you explain?

Location, Location, Location: On the back of your neck or your back. So, you mean others will see it, but you won't. Fun?

I'm not against tattoos, but any long lasting decision can be complicated.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2016-08-26 at 01:51 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tattoos are quite common now. As long as the symbol has real meaning to you and you know you'll be happy with it years down the road, go for it. I wouldn't worry too much. Your family is your family. They may get mad when you first do it, but they aren't going to disown you over a tattoo. If it makes you happy and you don't think you'll outgrow the symbol, then be happy. I got my first one done years ago and never regretted it.

Here's what I did:

You can buy waterslide temporary tattoo paper for laser printers. I laid out an 8.5" x 11" (US Letter) sheet with the designs I was considering, reflected horizontally so they'd read properly, and printed them on the paper. The tattoos last about a week, depending on your lifestyle, so I put one on every week for a couple of months. I tried different variations on the design and different placements, and took a break in the middle wherein I didn't wear one at all. After about half a dozen fakes, I was confident that I was going to get what I wanted.

Then I researched tattoo shops in my area, found an artist with a portfolio I liked and whose handwriting was similar to the design I wanted (this is very important - if you're doing something geometric, look at the artist's line work; if you want watercolor, look at their tones and gradients). I sent it to him and we had an interview to make sure he knew what I wanted and was interested in rendering it, and then a week later I went in and got inked.

I have an office job in a very conservative company, so I got one that can't be seen with clothes on. It might get seen at some point by my executives - we rent a house at the beach once a year for our annual management meeting, so eventually someone's going to see me with my shirt off. I've been with the company long enough at this point that they'd ask me about it rather than just passing me over for promotions and raises, but had they seen it on me at the interview I'm not sure I'd have been hired. We've got someone on staff who's visibly tattooed, but she occupies a junior position in collections. While nobody would say, "she's not getting promoted because she's one of those sorts of people," I'm pretty sure her advancement options are limited by the ink on her arms.

Hope some of that was helpful!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just keep in mind that they do last forever and will have to be updated at times to make sure it still looks good. Though eventually all the touch ups in the world won't make it look good anymore.

Nothing immediately identifies the content of your character like a visible tattoo.

Having said that, I got one on my back when I was 15 and a dope head. I wish I didn't have it but as its on my back, I completely forget it is even there.

I did meet a guy at the river that had a horde symbol on his forearm. Actually looked pretty sweet.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you really like Berserk so much and want to emulate Guts, just cut your arm off. Or maybe your eye? Because that's about as smart as getting that stupid tattoo that no one will recognize on your neck.
    Chill down, my friend. If you think that cutting of your own arm and eye is just as stupid as getting a tattoo, I definitely would not take this advice from you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Here's what I did:

You can buy waterslide temporary tattoo paper for laser printers. I laid out an 8.5" x 11" (US Letter) sheet with the designs I was considering, reflected horizontally so they'd read properly, and printed them on the paper. The tattoos last about a week, depending on your lifestyle, so I put one on every week for a couple of months. I tried different variations on the design and different placements, and took a break in the middle wherein I didn't wear one at all. After about half a dozen fakes, I was confident that I was going to get what I wanted.

That's very informative! Good answer, I'll look into it with more details. Thank you, it was really helpful.

Deleted
    Get "snitches get stitches" on your neck.
    No seriously avoid the neck for your first tattoo.

Get a swastika on your forehead.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Screw your family if you're old enough to get a tattoo on your own and you want one then do it. As for the job that's entirely dependent on where you want to work. Most minimum wage jobs won't care if you're just looking for part time work. Full-time, out-of-college work would depend on the field. If you intend on getting into financial then you might find that it negatively impacts on your hiring opportunities but something like IT wouldn't be much of an issue. I work with lots of developers and QA who have tattoos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you really like Berserk so much and want to emulate Guts, just cut your arm off. Or maybe your eye? Because that's about as smart as getting that stupid tattoo that no one will recognize on your neck. Even if someone did recognize it, the symbol is practically a holocaust Jewish marking that got tattoo'ed on. It's completely negative.

It's your choice but as someone who actually reads the manga and has a bias against tattoos, what you want to do it dumb.
    Why does it matter if other people don't recognize the tattoo? People don't get tattoos for other people, they get them for themselves.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

whenever i see people with tats.. all I can think of is "get out of my city you piece of trash"

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a tattoo when & where you want it. It's for YOU, people judge no matter what.
    Jobs are so lenient about tattoos it doesn't even matter. As long as it doesn't look gang related you're ok.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    whenever i see people with tats.. all I can think of is "get out of my city you piece of trash"
    Good thing nobody cares about what you think.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)