Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I can still see them saying "This is the price, if you don't like, don't buy it."
    Then they have no customers, and they go out of business, and somebody else replaces them. Their patents get sold to somebody who will make better use of them.

That's the power of collective bargaining vs the suppliers having all the power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    It would be funny if they just dropped the Pen from the market and quit selling it. Liberal brains would explode. It's important to note that Mylan Pharmaceuticals is also a big Clinton Fraudation donor as well.
    Why do you think this is possible?

If they stopped making them, somebody else would do it. That's how the market works, that's even how patents work if they're not being used correctly.

Demand for a product drives sales and cost. If the supply disappears, the demand doesn't suddenly go away. There isn't anything in the world that one person can do or sell that nobody else can replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Then they have no customers, and they go out of business, and somebody else replaces them. Their patents get sold to somebody who will make better use of them.

That's the power of collective bargaining vs the suppliers having all the power.
    People have to buy the medication. There isn't going to suddenly be no customers, unless people are okay with dying to get the price lower. That's why drug patents, and patents on the technology to deliver them, are a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

People have to buy the medication. There isn't going to suddenly be no customers, unless people are okay with dying to get the price lower. That's why drug patents, and patents on the technology to deliver them, are a problem.
    All it takes is a little bit of pressure on congress, if a company even attempted to do what you guys are implying and just "pull their products off our market" then their patents would become meaningless as soon as they started putting peoples health at risk.

And then somebody else would start making them cheaper, because it isn't fucking rocket science. It's a plastic syringe.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be funny if they just dropped the Pen from the market and quit selling it. Liberal brains would explode. It's important to note that Mylan Pharmaceuticals is also a big Clinton Fraudation donor as well.
    Hilarious if people could no longer receive their life saving medication.... I'm glad you think the potential death of millions is funny.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    All it takes is a little bit of pressure on congress, if a company even attempted to do what you guys are implying and just "pull their products off our market" then their patents would become meaningless as soon as they started putting peoples health at risk.

And then somebody else would start making them cheaper, because it isn't fucking rocket science. It's a plastic syringe.
    I don't see them pulling the patent, I see them saying "This is the price, if you don't like it, tough shit."

Even if we magically had single payer over night, collective bargaining isn't going to lower the price on something that is a necessity for people that is made by a single supplier.

It might go down over time, but this isn't something people can just opt not to have and wait for the price to come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Well, the government uses "eminent domain" to take property....

Of course the moment they do that for life-saving drugs, they are going to back to doing the medical research they did for polio. Which it seems to me the last time any permanent cure was ever made anyway. So maybe they should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    India does this.

Stuff won't get into the US though. FDA will never let it as they think companies having a monopoly on medication is a good idea because the US is full of greedy fucks.
    If narcotics can then so can real medication.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    If narcotics can then so can real medication.
    There's already been a couple news article of people getting their Epipens shipped from Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    There's already been a couple news article of people getting their Epipens shipped from Canada.
    Good for them. I feel a lot better.

Hilarious if people could no longer receive their life saving medication.... I'm glad you think the potential death of millions is funny.
    It doesn't matter if anyone is harmed, if liburals don't like it its funny. :/

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/a...detail_ALS.htm
    "In 90 to 95 percent of all ALS cases, the disease occurs apparently at random with no clearly associated risk factors. Individuals with this sporadic form of the disease do not have a family history of ALS, and their family members are not considered to be at increased risk for developing it.

About 5 to 10 percent of all ALS cases are inherited. The familial form of ALS usually results from a pattern of inheritance that requires only one parent to carry the gene responsible for the disease. Mutations in more than a dozen genes have been found to cause familial ALS."

The fact remains some productive people have shitty defects. Yet somehow a random forum troll with no allergies is the paragon of humanity.
    The problem isn't people having shitty defects, the problem is people having destructive defects that are hereditary.

Here you go, here's a question for you: If YOU had ALS, and it actually WAS hereditary, would you decide to bring a child into the world, knowing that if your child had to suffer through ALS, it would be because you decided that your feelings mattered more than the actual life of your child?
    Or
    Would you instead take a realistic look at the situation, and decide that the risk of forcing ALS on someone, especially someone that you care about, is far more twisted than just not having that child in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    You are literally going on about how these people are meant to die. And how much better it would be for the future of humanity if they would just die.

Ok.
    And yet I never said that. I just pointed out that this is one of those traits that would have naturally died out if we hadn't intervened, but since we did intervene, we put our own continued existence at risk. I don't want them to die at all, I would just hope they have the foresight enough to see how their condition affects our species, and decide not to reproduce.
    There needs to be some serious talk about how to keep things like food allergies from spreading through our species, because it WILL exponentially grow, just like every trait, good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Looking into is fine, letting people die because of your ideals is not.
    Here's a question for you: IF the consensus right now were "This will decimate our species within the next 500 years", would you doom billions, and continue to ignore the problem we face, or would it be far more important that we figure out a plan to keep that from ever happening, and follow through with it?
    And no, I'm not saying or implying rounding people up and killing them, but taking a realistic look at the problem and coming up with a solution.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Good for them. I feel a lot better.
    New business idea: buy Epipens here in Canada, ship specifically to Americans for a small profit.

New business idea: buy Epipens here in Canada, ship specifically to Americans for a small profit.
    Step three this time isn't "????," it's "get sued." Step 4 definitely wouldn't be small profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Step three this time isn't "????," it's "get sued." Step 4 definitely wouldn't be small profit.
    Reselling patented items isn't illegal, only if I rebrand it as mine. Otherwise there would be a lot of online stores going out business. The reason my business plan wouldn't work is because there is already a lot of companies that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    So patents and copyrigth do not exist in a free market?
    Clearly you missed the part where the epipen patent has been gone for over 20 years, so no, in this case, it does not exist.m try to keep up.

Unless you're changing patent law or controlling drug prices, they can charge whatever they want.
    It's not that simple. For example here banks can't raise lending rates too high either, after certain point it is considered usury and usury here is illegal. You make immoral profit from ppl in need. And this is basically the same thing. It may not be covered by laws yet, but the principle is the same.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Reselling patented items isn't illegal, only if I rebrand it as mine. Otherwise there would be a lot of online stores going out business. The reason my business plan wouldn't work is because there is already a lot of companies that do this.
    Huh, looks like I haven't updated my knowledge in the past 4 years.

This went into effect Jan 3 2012.

Looks like you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    ...Liberals.. wah?

If they stopped selling it, I would just hope the government step in.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you're changing patent law or controlling drug prices, they can charge whatever they want.
    So it can be fixed, like I said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Here's a question for you: IF the consensus right now were "This will decimate our species within the next 500 years", would you doom billions, and continue to ignore the problem we face, or would it be far more important that we figure out a plan to keep that from ever happening, and follow through with it?
    And no, I'm not saying or implying rounding people up and killing them, but taking a realistic look at the problem and coming up with a solution.
    Unless that is actually proven, we have no reason to stop treating people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Here you go, here's a question for you: If YOU had ALS, and it actually WAS hereditary, would you decide to bring a child into the world, knowing that if your child had to suffer through ALS, it would be because you decided that your feelings mattered more than the actual life of your child?
    Or
    Would you instead take a realistic look at the situation, and decide that the risk of forcing ALS on someone, especially someone that you care about, is far more twisted than just not having that child in the first place?
    I would still have a child. Part of the reason the good parts of my genes outweigh the chance of ALS. Even with a pre-disposition for ALS my genes are still more valuable than yours, for example, because I'm not a sociopath.

Funny thing is, people can get by if they help each other. We wandered off the African Plains millennia ago not because of competition amongst ourselves but because of our ability to co-operate better than the other animals out there.

You should keep in mind the eugenics thing you preach has largely been ignored and here we are in the 21st century with our extra long life spans and our fancy pants technology. Hell, we're almost getting to the point where we can ignore and even appreciate our differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Clearly you missed the part where the epipen patent has been gone for over 20 years, so no, in this case, it does not exist.m try to keep up.
    And that is still not the root of the problem, but sure.