Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    -Do your class campaign for relic slot 3
    -World/Emmisary quests every day
    -Clear all mythics each week (Questing in Suramar to unlock 2 of them)
    -Do every available world boss each week

In the midst of all that make damn sure you get your artifact knowledge research up and running asap and keep it going as close to 100% as you can.

Deleted
    Am i 100% fucked if i use herb/mining combo?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Can't tell you anything about material prices and how much money gathering proffs will get you, but you'll probably need to pay a nice premium the first months for high-end crafted gear if you need those from people outside of your guild.

Deleted
    Psykee will get more then enough gold selling all those herbs and ores the first week

(also - check mats required and offer to provide mats + some tip in exchange for craft)

Quote Originally Posted by Habix View Post
    Actually, it only speeds up if you're behind the curve. It will be 5 days per research if you keep it up all the time, but the more you're behind the faster it is untill you're close to the curve again...
    Aha, we have different understandings on that point. My impression of the catchup mechanism is a) alts research AK faster until they catch up with main, and b) AK research takes less long as the expansion goes on, equally for "on curve" and "behind curve" players. The perfectly "on curve" players will have maxed AK ranks in 125 days -- and I certainly don't expect the first speedup will occur before that.

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
    It's hard to underestimate the importance of artifact power over gear. :-)

If you earn 50K AP in your first week, you'll have a nice jump in artifact traits compared to earning 10K AP. But it will remain a difference of 40K AP forever, and a couple months from now that difference will be nearly undetectable.
    Its hard to say that because 40k AP can mean like 2 more traits the first week. Which should increase your player power which in turn increases the rate in which you increase your AP.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it only speeds up if you're behind the curve. It will be 5 days per research if you keep it up all the time, but the more you're behind the faster it is untill you're close to the curve again...
    My understanding is that it speeds up for everyone regardless of whether you are behind or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its hard to say that because 40k AP can mean like 2 more traits the first week. Which should increase your player power which in turn increases the rate in which you increase your AP.
    thats a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    thats a stretch.
    I think its a bit of a stretch to think that a 40k ap head start won't yield at least 1ap more than if you didn't have that boost.

I think its a bit of a stretch to think that a 40k ap head start won't yield at least 1ap more than if you didn't have that boost.
    You'll no doubt get more AP than a person with two fewer traits. The thing is, the trait cost scaling outpaces the power increase from each trait. This means that unless you are playing more than they do, you won't be able to outpace the ever increasing trait cost increases. So that 40K AP head start becomes something like a 50K head start, but only at the point where traits cost 100K and you aren't ahead anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
    Aha, we have different understandings on that point. My impression of the catchup mechanism is a) alts research AK faster until they catch up with main, and b) AK research takes less long as the expansion goes on, equally for "on curve" and "behind curve" players. The perfectly "on curve" players will have maxed AK ranks in 125 days -- and I certainly don't expect the first speedup will occur before that.
    My understanding is that it speeds up for everyone regardless of whether you are behind or not.
    To contribute a third possibility, my guess would be that every research starts at 5 days, and that every so often Blizzard nerfs the earlier ranks, and that these affect every character regardless of current research status. So something like:

Day 1: Rank 1 takes 5 days, Rank 2 takes 5 days, Rank 3 takes 5 days, etc.
    Day 15: Rank 1 takes 4 days, All other ranks take 5 days
    Day 22: Rank 1 takes 3 days, Rank 2 takes 4 days, All other ranks take 5 days.

These are just guesses in terms of time between nerfs and such, but that would make the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    I mean when blizzard says 300 and rank of recipes is based on prof skill level literally like 2 days ago I'd believe that but w/e.
    The world quest thing was originally said to be 300 by Blizz but then was changed to 100 during beta but idk might be back to 300 for launch but the ranks of crafted items have NOTHING to do with your profession lvl, you unlock the second and third star from quests/recipes bought from Rep vendors/ other things but its not related to profession level.

do all mythics dungeons, work on your class order hall so you can unlock your third relic slot sooner than later, work on suramar storyline + rep so you can unlock court of starts and arcway, 2 more mythic dungeons per week is very nice, and they have some really good trinkets and stuff aswell from there.

i think youre trying to create some kind of apples and oranges math where 3% frostbolt dmg = ??? artifact power, and no one is trying to rationalize that except you.

1. do the class hall campaign
    2. start artifact knowledge research
    3. enable your world quests
    4. do world quests
    5. start doing suramar check for good world quests every couple hours(warden towers specifically)
    6. spam HCs
    7. do mythics once you research your first artifact knowledge
    8. craft stuff (altough i dont recommend this till the 3rd week

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    i think youre trying to create some kind of apples and oranges math where 3% frostbolt dmg = ??? artifact power, and no one is trying to rationalize that except you.
    You honestly don't see the correlation between killing things faster and obtaining AP faster?

Deleted
    From my time on the beta and the interviews with the devs, this is 100% how artifact knowledge works:
    If you start artifact research on day 1, and don't miss a day, every single research will take 5 days untill you are done.
    If you start later you will have your first researches faster untill you (almost) caught up to the ones who started day 1.
    This is a global catch-up and doesn't matter if it's your main or an alt or whatever. What matters is how far behind the "curve" that you are...

Deleted
    If you start artifact research on day 1, and don't miss a day, every single research will take 5 days untill you are done.
    If you start later you will have your first researches faster untill you (almost) caught up to the ones who started day 1.
    This is a global catch-up and doesn't matter if it's your main or an alt or whatever. What matters is how far behind the "curve" that you are...
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Use them while leveling. Drop one for example herbalism if you plan on getting jc/bs. Everything is craftable at level 1, world quests unlock at prof level 100.
    The ranks of recipes are purchased from various ways - the prof level itself won't matter.

Also, if you want, you can drop your profession to get mining/herb again, because in Legion there are no "fragments", you get full amount of materials at skill level 1.

Deleted
    what a useless thread.. just play the game! simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by Menae View Post
    You'll no doubt get more AP than a person with two fewer traits. The thing is, the trait cost scaling outpaces the power increase from each trait. This means that unless you are playing more than they do, you won't be able to outpace the ever increasing trait cost increases. So that 40K AP head start becomes something like a 50K head start, but only at the point where traits cost 100K and you aren't ahead anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

To contribute a third possibility, my guess would be that every research starts at 5 days, and that every so often Blizzard nerfs the earlier ranks, and that these affect every character regardless of current research status. So something like:

Day 1: Rank 1 takes 5 days, Rank 2 takes 5 days, Rank 3 takes 5 days, etc.
    Day 15: Rank 1 takes 4 days, All other ranks take 5 days
    Day 22: Rank 1 takes 3 days, Rank 2 takes 4 days, All other ranks take 5 days.

These are just guesses in terms of time between nerfs and such, but that would make the most sense to me.
    Yea, except blizzard wont have to do it manualy since they have programmed it in already.

My gues is research will start to speed up after the raids become available. So if you start 25 days after release research would take fex 4 days