Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thieves steal around $250,000 in wheels from chevy dealership.

Even behind a locked gate, it appears cars aren't entirely safe. Unfortunately, Peltier Chevrolet in Tyler, Texas found that out the hard way when thieves stole the wheels and tires off of 48 cars on its lot.

Automotive News reports that security cameras at the dealership show a van pulling up around 1:30 A.M. last Sunday. The thieves managed to knock out the bright spotlights illuminating the lot, then cut the locks on the gates behind the dealership. Over the next four hours, they made off with up to $250,000 in wheels and tires.

The cars themselves were left on blocks, with lug nuts scattered all over the ground. But as you can imagine, the thieves weren't particularly careful with the cars, and several appear to have been damaged.

"We'll go through and do a full safety inspection, get wheels and tires replaced and we've contacted our insurance company," David Bates, the dealership's general manager, told Automotive News. "It's rough but we'll get through it."

The thieves didn't just target the most valuable wheels, either. They even hit relatively inexpensive Camaros and Traverses with wheels that Bates described as "nothing out of the ordinary."
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...wheels-stolen/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Ordinary wheels would be far easier to make disappear on the black market.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

48 cars. $250, 000 worth of tires and wheels off of said cars. That's $5200 per car. I smell bullshit. Guess they want to rip off their insurance companies.

Who are they selling all these too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    48 cars. $250, 000 worth of tires and wheels off of said cars. That's $5200 per car. I smell bullshit. Guess they want to rip off their insurance companies.
    Yeah really. I smell insurance fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Im trying to find the scene from Blue Streak when Miles finds the stolen rims hidden in the truck and I cant find it

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it might be worded better as $250,000 worth of damage.

It does describe cars being damaged as the thieves weren't exactly careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    I think it might be worded better as $250,000 worth of damage.

It does describe cars being damaged as the thieves weren't exactly careful.
    WHY though? Why would you take so much time to take the tires off when you can break into an actual tire store and carry them out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    WHY though? Why would you take so much time to take the tires off when you can break into an actual tire store and carry them out?
    No alarm. They just cut the lock on a gate, drove onto the lot, and then started taking wheels (full wheels) off the cars.

Deleted
    The science bit: (the tyred didn't cost $250k to make)

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No alarm. They just cut the lock on a gate, drove onto the lot, and then started taking wheels (full wheels) off the cars.
    I'm going good under the assumption these tires aren't actually worth 250,000 retail but the payday seems so low for the risk. How long does it take one person to remove 4 wheels and carry them, let's say 30 feet into a truck and place the car on blocks? Keeping in mind fatigue after 4 hours
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-08-26 at 10:13 PM.

Its not far fetched for a performance car with sport compound tires / wheels combined to exceed that price.

7+ Year Old Account
    From the linked article.
    Over the next four hours, they made off with up to $250,000 in wheels and tires.
    I can't stop laughing at that story. $250k worth of tires. Come on, how is that possible. Seriously, what a bunch of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    From the linked article.

I can't stop laughing at that story. $250k worth of tires. Come on, how is that possible. Seriously, what a bunch of bullshit.

David Bates, general manager at Peltier Chevrolet, said the value of the wheels and tires is going to be about $200,000 to $250,000, but noted that the dealership is still trying to calculate that number.
    Yeah, he is definitely overestimating by a decent margin but it doesn't matter because the insurance company is going to pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bet Orlong was involved

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    I don't think you know what insurance fraud is.

15+ Year Old Account
    They wheel have no problem selling those.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

$1,300 dollars a wheel? What fucking type of fucking wheels were these?

Yeh thats like 1302$ a tire which is 10000% bullshit.

Wheels + tires + damages to the car + shipping costs of delivering that many wheels/tires + labor to install them and do repairs and give the cars a safety check before they can be put up for sale again.

$250,000 sounds low to me.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN