Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like an inside job

People not knowing that wheels and tires are two separate things lol Tires can go for anything from $100-$900, and wheels are even more extensive, so yes a quarter million in just wheels and tires is entirely possible

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Did you even read the article or post?
    Did you consider what that figure might have been calculated from?
    Somebody came up with it, right?
    Do you think a business isn't going to factor all costs into an insurance claim?

Did you consider how the figured might have transformed during reporting?
    Maybe the original question asked was "what was the estimated loss".
    Maybe the by the time the answer got passed around it was shortened to just "wheels and tires" since that's the focus.
    Maybe they reporters didn't take into account a bunch of bored gamers would find something about it to fight over.
    Haha ...we showed them.

I'm just offering up my theory and I think it's solid.

I think it's more likely that the reporting was streamlined and not that a car dealership is trying to commit insurance fraud with police and journalists standing right over them.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Its not far fetched for a performance car with sport compound tires / wheels combined to exceed that price.
    It was a Chevy dealership. No way in hell the tires and rims are worth anything remotely close to $250k.

Even performance cars are not running around on $5200 worth of tires and rims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Wheels + tires + damages to the car + shipping costs of delivering that many wheels/tires + labor to install them and do repairs and give the cars a safety check before they can be put up for sale again.

$250,000 sounds low to me.
    You did not read the article at all did you?

Did you consider what that figure might have been calculated from?
    Somebody came up with it, right?
    Do you think a business isn't going to factor all costs into an insurance claim?

Did you consider how the figured might have transformed during reporting?
    Maybe the original question asked was "what was the estimated loss".
    Maybe the by the time the answer got passed around it was shortened to just "wheels and tires" since that's the focus.
    Maybe they reporters didn't take into account a bunch of bored gamers would find something about it to fight over.
    Haha ...we showed them.

I'm just offering up my theory and I think it's solid.

I think it's more likely that the reporting was streamlined and not that a car dealership is trying to commit insurance fraud with police and journalists standing right over them.
    Why are you trying to include "damages and labor" into this? If a jewrly store gets robbed, and they steal a 1 million dollar ring, no one goes "they made away with 1.5 million becuase it'll cost 500k to redo all the security work"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Tire+Rim... still doesn't seem entirely likely, but it's possible.
    Not even close to possible on cars a Chevy dealership would be selling. Not to mention that the dealers cost, and thus loss, would be a lot less than retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Why are you trying to include "damages and labor" into this? If a jewrly store gets robbed, and they steal a 1 million dollar ring, no one goes "they made away with 1.5 million becuase it'll cost 500k to redo all the security work"
    Well because that's what is in the price as showed here in another article about the heist.

The manager of the dealership currently pegs the loss at $200,000 to $250,000 and notes that most of the wheels were of the 20- to 22-inch variety, while others were “nothing out of the ordinary.” The estimated monetary loss may sound unbelievable for wheels and tires for 48 cars; but consider that original-equipment tires—without wheels and tire-pressure monitoring sensors—for the Camaro SS run approximately $1100 for a set of four. Adding to the loss is the fact that many of the vehicles were damaged by being dropped directly to the ground or placed improperly on blocks.

Just an FYI OEM TPMS (tire-pressure monitoring sensors) can retail for over 100 each.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/stealer...as-dealership/

- - - Updated - - -

Wheels + tires + damages to the car + shipping costs of delivering that many wheels/tires + labor to install them and do repairs and give the cars a safety check before they can be put up for sale again.

$250,000 sounds low to me.
    That's because you're a logical thinker unlike the rest of the posters in this thread or actually on this forum in general.

Actually, while I'm sure not every wheel and tire cost 1000 dollars, there are quite a few wheel and tire combos that are pretty pricey from the dealer. they could be listing the total price of what they would have sold for which is a ton to the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Not even close to possible on cars a Chevy dealership would be selling. Not to mention that the dealers cost, and thus loss, would be a lot less than retail price.
    Our Cruze comes with high performance tires that cost about $150 a piece. Not including the fancy rims. The picture in the article shows a bunch of sports models that likely also come with similar, pricey tires.

Just because they're Chevys doesn't mean they're using cheap tires. $250k is likely the retail loss value of the rims and tires. The thieves made off with $250k worth of rims and tires - meaning that's what they're worth not what they cost to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Our Cruze comes with high performance tires that cost about $150 a piece. Not including the fancy rims. The picture in the article shows a bunch of sports models that likely also come with similar, pricey tires.

Just because they're Chevys doesn't mean they're using cheap tires. $250k is likely the retail loss value of the rims and tires. The thieves made off with $250k worth of rims and tires - meaning that's what they're worth not what they cost to replace.
    Did you not read my above post, it explains everything.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    One other big odd thing to me that stands out in this story is that 48 cars x 4 rims/tires = 192 rims/tires. And they did this in a van? I can't imagine getting more than about 30 of those in a van. So either they made about 6 or 7 trips or must have had a moving truck-sized vehicle too. Oh and in four hours the Tyler, Texas police never even drove by big dealership like that, where they would have noticed all of lights being out, a team of people jacking up cars, probably compressed air ratchet guns for the wheels along with flashlights, and a moving van? I would hope police are driving by business districts a bit more often than that.

Maybe it was just random thieves, but this thing tends to happen a lot with dealerships. In fact our local Chevy dealership in the upper Midwest had this same thing happen just a couple months ago. One of the oldest scams in the book is dealerships doing this, filing a claim, and then getting the stolen parts back from the crooks and putting them back on. This used to happen all the time with air bags and catalytic converters and crooked dealerships. Odd parts to steal, but expensive to replace for insurance claims.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2016-08-27 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    One other big odd thing to me that stands out in this story is that 48 cars x 4 rims/tires = 192 rims/tires. And they did this in a van?
    It was a box truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    It was a Chevy dealership. No way in hell the tires and rims are worth anything remotely close to $250k.

Even performance cars are not running around on $5200 worth of tires and rims.

- - - Updated - - -

You did not read the article at all did you?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-Z06-Wheel...-/201648361958
    Just to be obtuse

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I don't think you know what insurance fraud is.
    Well, it can be over-claiming damages if you know that you're over-claiming damages.

Not saying that's what happened here, but over-claiming damages is definitely insurance fraud.

Edit: happened, not happens.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2016-08-27 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Well because that's what is in the price as showed here in another article about the heist.

The manager of the dealership currently pegs the loss at $200,000 to $250,000 and notes that most of the wheels were of the 20- to 22-inch variety, while others were “nothing out of the ordinary.” The estimated monetary loss may sound unbelievable for wheels and tires for 48 cars; but consider that original-equipment tires—without wheels and tire-pressure monitoring sensors—for the Camaro SS run approximately $1100 for a set of four. Adding to the loss is the fact that many of the vehicles were damaged by being dropped directly to the ground or placed improperly on blocks.

Just an FYI OEM TPMS (tire-pressure monitoring sensors) can retail for over 100 each.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/stealer...as-dealership/

- - - Updated - - -

That's because you're a logical thinker unlike the rest of the posters in this thread or actually on this forum in general.
    1100 for a set of four plus 100 dollar tips is a long way from 5200 for a set of 4.

Lockedout that's not logical at all...

He's including damages to cars. The article says "they stole" 250k worth. not that they caused 250k worth of damages.

If I steal say a 10k watch and cause 40k in damages, I didn't now steal 50k, I only got away with 10k because I only have 10k worth of stuff.

Why are you trying to include "damages and labor" into this?
    Because people here did some napkin math and are convinced the per tire cost is too much so I'm theorizing as to why that might be.
    MAGA

Because people here did some napkin math and are convinced the per tire cost is too much so I'm theorizing as to why that might be.
    And if that is the case, that that is how they're calculating what was taken it's fucking retarded.

"Well he took a one thosuand dollar necklace but look at all this broken glass, this is gonna cost me 10k to fix, he stole 11k worth of stuff!"

Do you not see the giant flaw there?

It wasn't thieves cause 250k in damage including stolen wheels.

but

Thieves steal around 250k in wheels.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, saying they stole 250k in wheels while saying "maybe what they mean is something entirely different" no... no it makes no sense. The article simply was sensationlist if anything and got things wrong, or the car company is overestimating.
    Last edited by Themius; 2016-08-27 at 03:08 PM.

And if that is the case, that that is how they're calculating what was taken it's fucking retarded.

"Well he took a one thosuand dollar necklace but look at all this broken glass, this is gonna cost me 10k to fix, he stole 11k worth of stuff!"

Do you not see the giant flaw there?

It wasn't thieves cause 250k in damage including stolen wheels.

but

Thieves steal around 250k in wheels.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, saying they stole 250k in wheels while saying "maybe what they mean is something entirely different" no... no it makes no sense. The article simply was sensationlist if anything and got things wrong, or the car company is overestimating.
    Yes I understand how literally you're taking the words from the report.

Perhaps consider the possibility that a figure which the reporter solicited was one the manager had on hand, one that included damages, which was then just included in the story labeled as "what was stolen".

Media floats facts like that all the time either for the sake of simple delivery or through misinterpretation.

IMO this is the most likely explanation for the $250k figure.

Alternatively the entire premise could be bad and we can chalk the high figure up to the fact that dealerships jack the price up on everything, that there might be the real truth.
    MAGA

1100 for a set of four plus 100 dollar tips is a long way from 5200 for a set of 4.

Lockedout that's not logical at all...

He's including damages to cars. The article says "they stole" 250k worth. not that they caused 250k worth of damages.

If I steal say a 10k watch and cause 40k in damages, I didn't now steal 50k, I only got away with 10k because I only have 10k worth of stuff.
    The article that was orginally linked didn't quote the manager, the author just wrote a clickbait title.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I understand how literally you're taking the words from the report.

Perhaps consider the possibility that a figure which the reporter solicited was one the manager had on hand, one that included damages, which was then just included in the story labeled as "what was stolen".

Media floats facts like that all the time either for the sake of simple delivery or through misinterpretation.

IMO this is the most likely explanation for the $250k figure.

Alternatively the entire premise could be bad and we can chalk the high figure up to the fact that dealerships jack the price up on everything, that there might be the real truth.
    If you read my post on the last page you would find out that you're correct, it actually has a quote from the manager explaining the cost.

If you read my post on the last page you would find out that you're correct, it actually has a quote from the manager explaining the cost.
    Truth.

Just goes to show you the power media has over people.

Its becoming an age where nothing is questioned or even innocuously looked upon past face value.
    MAGA