Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Will you be playing Fury or Arms and why?

I'm really torn between Fury and Arms. Right now I'm leaning towards Arms but I'm concerned that it would be a bad choice for doing Mythic+. Just wanted to know what spec you guys will be playing and the reasoning behind it.

I'm waffling too. Hell, I'm not even sure I'll be playing maining a warrior at all! I should probably get on with the actual picking... But I can give you my perspective and it'll probably help me choose if I write it down.

I used to be a moderately hardcore raider, from BC through Cata, but the real peak was Wrath. During Wrath I played a DPS Blood DK which was TOTALLY my jam. Armor pen was amazing, giant heart strikes and obliterates. It was pure mashy goodness. After a while I swapped to Warrior and wanted to get the same feeling so I picked up Arms and it felt great too. Giant mortal strikes, overpowers and executes and I felt like a one man wrecking crew. I don't remember any real DPS numbers from arms, but I'm pretty sure i was top DK on our backwater server at the time. So I got the feel I wanted (Important to me as a player) and the numbers to back it up (important to me as a raider)

The further time went from Wrath it seemed like that head-smashy feeling of Arms lessened and I couldn't put up the same numbers as I used to either, but could as Fury, so that's what I needed to do. I was never a big fan of titan's grip (excessively clipping weapons triggers me) but Single Minded Fury reminded me of our buzzsaw fury warriors from BT so I could be content-ish with that. I missed Panda-town pretty much entirely, so I've got nothing for that expansion.

Then we come to the present:

I really doubt I'll have the time or enthusiasm to raid hardcore anymore, being an adult with many important things to do and all. I suspect I'll be more interested in the mythic dungeons, because early cata heroics were TOTALLY my style. Though that makes me ponder how good warriors would be in that situation. Limited CC, but I suspect Arms can put out some serious burst damage in short dungeon fights so that could be a utility all it's own.

So that means the need to put up the overall DPS numbers is lessened, as long as a spec isn't clown-tier on the ranking it'll be fine. That leaves the ultimate question:

Is Arms satisfying to play at 110? Does it deliver on that feeling of using a two handed weapon like a giant golf club and happy-gilmore-ing some poor bastard's head clean off?

Yeah, I was right. All that ramble narrowed it down for me to:

TL;DR Is Arms satisfying to play? If yes, Arms. If no, I'm going with a different class. Maybe I'll put some time in on the PTR to try it out.

Deleted
    I will be playing Fury because I hate how FR plays and I don't want to risk ending up in a position where FR is too good to not use. I like both specs but with Fury there's no build I massively dislike even if I prefer WB/IR.
    Last edited by mmocd2ab285f58; 2016-08-26 at 05:14 PM.

I had a lot of fun leveling my Warrior as Fury in the pre-patch.

But after spending some time at max level I cannot bring myself to main it over my Ret Paladin.
    I find Fury to feel a lot like a glass cannon. The lack of reliable sustain and recovery is really big concern to me.

Especially playing on a crowded pvp server, I find Fury really weak.
    And I'm really concerned with what my leveling experience would be like.

I'm not a great pvp'er, I'll admit that, but I find that most "duels" are unfavourable to me.
    Getting jumped on or when getting kited I feel so helpless. As a Ret I have so many tools.
    To me, it seems Fury got absolutely nothing to compensate for the rather huge extra damage you take from the enrage mechanic.

After taking on an elite, a big pack of monsters or winning a "duel". I will often find myself with low health and the only option is to fly up and afk on my flying mount.

Sure Juggernaut & Double Time can offer some good healing, but a lot of the time, I find it to not be enough.

I haven't tried Arms, maybe it's a more well-rounded spec.
    I Just wanted to share my reasoning for not going with Fury in Legion.
    Last edited by Snowfunk; 2016-08-26 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Deleted
    Will be fury.

My reasoning.

Piercing Howl... Nuff said, playing a Warrior since vanilla i just cannot function without an AoE snare, it just feels wrong in all ways.
    With Wrecking Ball and Inner Rage, you can use enrage actively when not taking any significant damage in pvp like Arms swap between stances and with Raging Blow and Whirlwinds that hit as hard as Rampage is nice indeed.

Fury also has a self-heal for pvp with Enraged Regeneration and later will get 3! Heroic Leaps virtually allowing you unfettered mobility in pvp to both escape and chase exactly whatever you want, there will be nothing that can kite a Fury Warrior with all leaps up which will also allow you to sacrifice double charge for Stormbolt.

While Arms might be the choice for 3v3 arena, that is not a mode i am particularly interested in and Fury's survivability is just fine if you manage enrages properly.

Also that Fury spec with 30% movement speed and 8 yard whirlwinds and 15 yard Piercing Howls is hilarious against other melee as you can deadzone like crazy.
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2016-08-26 at 02:11 PM.

I'm gonna level as Arms because I need to learn how to play it. Last time I played Arms properly was on the alpha, I've been playing Fury for about 40mins a week on live in the last 3 weeks of prepatch to kill Manno/Archi/Blackhand with my new guild and have a semi decent handle on it, but I've not touched Arms. You get all the artifacts while levelling anyway so it doesn't really matter that much outside of artifact power spending.

Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    Will be fury.

My reasoning.

Piercing Howl... Nuff said, playing a Warrior since vanilla i just cannot function without an AoE snare, it just feels wrong in all ways.
    With Wrecking Ball and Inner Rage, you can use enrage actively when not taking any significant damage in pvp like Arms swap between stances and with Raging Blow and Whirlwinds that hit as hard as Rampage is nice indeed.

Fury also has a self-heal for pvp with Enraged Regeneration and later will get 3! Heroic Leaps virtually allowing you unfettered mobility in pvp to both escape and chase exactly whatever you want, there will be nothing that can kite a Fury Warrior with all leaps up which will also allow you to sacrifice double charge for Stormbolt.

While Arms might be the choice for 3v3 arena, that is not a mode i am particularly interested in and Fury's survivability is just fine if you manage enrages properly.

Also that Fury spec with 30% movement speed and 8 yard whirlwinds and 15 yard Piercing Howls is hilarious against other melee as you can deadzone like crazy.
    Piercing howl is nice but it's on the GCD and you no longer have Hamstring (which is off GCD), which is a no small matter. Also Fury healing in PVP is pretty non-existant due to the PVP specific nerfs, Enraged Regen heals for nothing compared to PVE. Also you can't control Enrage anywhere near as well as you seem to suggest here, you have it on an RNG Bloodthirst proc (source of your self healing) and via rampage. If you're spending periods of time purposely avoiding enrage just to take less damage you're going to be doing very little damage whilst also somewhat avoiding the little self healing you do have.

Not saying Fury won't be good for PVP though, but for sure your reasonings might end in tears. Warriors are not doing well in random BG's with current tuning due to being heavily reliant on a healer to beat anything, meaning rated premade environments like 3v3 are going to be where Warriors perform best, most of the feedback you see people posting suggests this too, Warrior is Gladiator material while being weak in random BG's from survival issues.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-08-26 at 03:41 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

With the right weapon I just love how a Fury warrior looks while running around like a berserker, and I enjoy the playstyle. Arms felt too slow for me, not button mashy or face mashy enough when compared with other melee DPS specs. Arms definitely comes across as the more strategic, martially disciplined warrior in combat with the slower more precision strikes kind of feel so they succeeded with that, but that style just doesn't feel right to me.

I do worry about survivability as either spec, since the self heals they do get are pretty minimal. Protection though is god-tier though in that regard now and I thoroughly enjoy that spec so if I can't play my warrior as Fury and survive I'll just switch to Prot.

I'm definitely more of a rush in and smash face rarararararara kind of melee DPS player. If I wanted slower more strategic type abilities and combat I'd play a caster, like a mage.

Fury because it's really fun to mash buttons and chase my Enrage timer. I don't intend to raid beyond Heroic so I'm not too concerned if Arms is slightly ahead or not. Wrecking ball is also fun and shits on world content.

Fury, because it's more fun.

I'll be shelving my warrior this time around. Not much a fan of the revamp they've done to the class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica View Post
    I will be playing Fury because I hate how FR plays and I don't want to risk ending up in a position where FR is too good to not use. I like both specs but with Fury there's no build I massively dislike even if I prefer WB/RB.
    Yep both specs feels really good. The thing I like about Arms though is that it has 2 viable builds whereas Fury only really have 1 viable build atm. Arms just seems to have a bigger diversity in talents where in Fury you just switch between WB/Avatar and Massacre/Carnage depending on the fight.

Arms. During prepatch it started off as unbearable but the more time I spent the more I liked how much I could do. I really like the ability tiers, I only have a problem with second wind (especially after seeing how rogues self healing works). Can't wait for the artifact though, I've always liked doing huge burst AoE. Leveling with these talents: http://beta.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#GpvF and full mythic gear.(trying to stack mastery/vers) Rly excited

Off-speccing prot because it is improved upon from WoD and in WoD it was amazing.

While fury is extremely fun to play in PvE I don't think taking increased damage in PvP is fun. A huge factor in my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Fury because it's really fun to mash buttons and chase my Enrage timer. I don't intend to raid beyond Heroic so I'm not too concerned if Arms is slightly ahead or not. Wrecking ball is also fun and shits on world content.
    This is why I always pick Fury over Arms because arms is usually really slow and I hate that kind of game play

Arms is currently around 90 APM, while Fury is hovering around 50-60. So if you only want to mash buttons, you'd be much better off playing Arms atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Arms is currently around 90 APM, while Fury is hovering around 50-60. So if you only want to mash buttons, you'd be much better off playing Arms atm.
    I want to mash buttons that aren't hamstring*

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    I want to mash buttons that aren't hamstring*
    Believe it or not, Hamstring is a very minor part of Arms. It's more the fact that FR is off the GCD, so overlaps with other abilities.

Deleted
    With arms you are either rage starved or you use a macro that you mash while under battle cry + deadly calm. I don't know about legion but right now on a training dummy i feel like i mash more buttons on fury than arms.

Other than that I'll be playing fury, the gameplay is very smooth, you can switch target without any issues. Arms should be fine on singletarget fights, but damn I hate that spec for solo content/dungeons this spec is clunky as hell for that
    Last edited by mmoc685c0896fc; 2016-08-27 at 12:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Believe it or not, Hamstring is a very minor part of Arms. It's more the fact that FR is off the GCD, so overlaps with other abilities.
    I am thinking of playing arms. How is arms looking perfomance wise compared to fury? Arms is on par with fury?

EDIT: nvm, didn't see the FAQ
    Last edited by mmoc6ec6d9fec0; 2016-08-27 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    I am thinking of playing arms. How is arms looking perfomance wise compared to fury? Arms is on par with fury?

EDIT: nvm, didn't see the FAQ
    Arms is substantially ahead at this point due to it's current play-style with FR.

I will play the spec that does more damage as a raider i got no choice currently it is arms but i hope for fury to be buffed #hateFR