WTF is up with ranked gains/losses on ptr?

so i finished my placement matches at 2847 a little under diamond. Ive played 5 games since 2 wins 3 losses. when i win i get like 10-13 points, and when i lose i lose Hundreds of points. im at 2400 something right now with a 40% win rate in 5 games from 2847. wtf?
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    so i finished my placement matches at 2847 a little under diamond. Ive played 5 games since 2 wins 3 losses. when i win i get like 10-13 points, and when i lose i lose Hundreds of points. im at 2400 something right now with a 40% win rate in 5 games from 2847. wtf?
    It's a ranking system. If you're losing more points on a loss than you gain on a win, it's because you're generally performing at a lower rank level than you were placed at initially, not as well as others of your rank. So you'll lose more on losses and gain less on wins, tending to lower your rank, until you reach the level where you're matching against players of similar skill levels to you.

A rank system is NOT meant to be "climbed", or to be any form of progression, it's meant to push you up or down until you're ranked appropriately, and then leave you that rank moving forward. The only way to climb higher is to aggressively improve your game more rapidly than other players are, themselves. Because if the average person is slowly getting better with more experience, then that slow increase is the baseline you need to surpass to increase your rank over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a ranking system. If you're losing more points on a loss than you gain on a win, it's because you're generally performing at a lower rank level than you were placed at initially, not as well as others of your rank. So you'll lose more on losses and gain less on wins, tending to lower your rank, until you reach the level where you're matching against players of similar skill levels to you.

A rank system is NOT meant to be "climbed", or to be any form of progression, it's meant to push you up or down until you're ranked appropriately, and then leave you that rank moving forward. The only way to climb higher is to aggressively improve your game more rapidly than other players are, themselves. Because if the average person is slowly getting better with more experience, then that slow increase is the baseline you need to surpass to increase your rank over time.
    source? I have a hard time believing this becasue i dont feel outmatched at my levels, im even pickign up a few gold medals in the damage column
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    source? I have a hard time believing this becasue i dont feel outmatched at my levels, im even pickign up a few gold medals in the damage column
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051
    " As you compete, your rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match."

Remember that medals only compare you against your team, the ranking system is evaluating you compared to every other player's performance in the game. It's easily possible to get 4 golds and still underperform for your rank.

Edit: While it's POSSIBLE there's a bug on the PTR, the same complaints were being made in Season 1, and the distribution of ranks over the season remained pretty consistent, demonstrating that it was not bugged and giving out greater penalties for losses across the board. Because if it were, everyone would have been downranking constantly.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051
    " As you compete, your rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match."

Remember that medals only compare you against your team, the ranking system is evaluating you compared to every other player's performance in the game. It's easily possible to get 4 golds and still underperform for your rank.

Edit: While it's POSSIBLE there's a bug on the PTR, the same complaints were being made in Season 1, and the distribution of ranks over the season remained pretty consistent, demonstrating that it was not bugged and giving out greater penalties for losses across the board. Because if it were, everyone would have been downranking constantly.
    ive pretty much just confirmed a bug i played hanzo in a 5 map control the point gold damage with 32k damage and gained 12 points

10+ Year Old Account
    ive pretty much just confirmed a bug i played hanzo in a 5 map control the point gold damage with 32k damage and gained 12 points
    That confirms precisely nothing. It's a single data point, and you've provided no argument that your performance was higher than expected for your rank. The number of medals doesn't make that argument.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-08-27 at 05:10 PM.

That confirms precisely nothing. It's a single data point, and you've provided no argument that your performance was higher than expected for your rank. The number of medals doesn't make that argument.
    32k damage? people dont usually get that much idk if your new or something

you dare question Endus, The Walking Thesaurus?

unimpossible!~!

Or realize that if Blizzard wanted they could check 3423423 things including "steps taken in distance" when counting your points.

Unless they post the algorithm they use to create your points then your damage is irrelevant for all you know, you need 100k damage in a match to reach 10% of the points given for "Objective Time".

Since the algorithm isnt known, stop being the damage hungry kid and play for everything.

I wish they had used a more ladder approach myself.

Deleted
    Damage done is irrelevant. The Matchmaker values your performance against who you play against + what other people have been performing on the characters you play. You could reach 50k damage done and it would value nothing since half of that could be Reinhardt shield

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Damage done is irrelevant. The Matchmaker values your performance against who you play against + what other people have been performing on the characters you play. You could reach 50k damage done and it would value nothing since half of that could be Reinhardt shield
    Right; this is why single measures aren't helpful. Hitting the enemy team with Hanzo's ult while they're in Zarya's gravity well isn't really contributing to a win if they have a Zenyatta who ults and heals through it; it's gonna spike your "damage done" through the roof, but not actually generate a victory, especially since you've just burned two ults and were countered by one.

We had these same complaints in Season 1; that you always lost huge, and won little. And a bunch of us were winning big, and losing little, and climbing ranks. And the rank distribution remained a bell curve centered on ranks 48-52, meaning there wasn't a big shift in people tending to lose rank over time. Losing big and winning small is what is intended to happen if you're performing under par for your current rank, that's all I'm saying. Placement matches are notoriously bad at getting you at your "proper" rank (but they're better than nothing), so losing a bunch of rank before settling isn't uncommon.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-08-27 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    Winning small and losing big is pretty much like in lol i guess. If you have a certain rank but you are actually worse than that the system tries to get you back to your place