Poll: Would you choose hard mode?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't think i'll ever want to level anything again. Used to love it but now I cant even look at Outland, Pandaria or Dreanor.

I'm at a stage that after so much play time I kind of have every class at some high level and if I start something new it's only after some massive change to ease in to it then hop to the higher level version of it (Legion survival hunter for example).

Quote Originally Posted by mindw0rk View Post
    Among the biggest complains about current WoW is leveling which is so easy, you just never feel sense of danger. If Blizzard ever addresses this adding optional hard mode, would you choose it over default one?
    This is how I see this hard mode: you can active it just like lock XP - speaking with NPC in Stormwind or Ironforge. Then all classic zones 1-60 become much harder, similar to vanilla experience. Common mobs become harder then current elites, elites become 5 times stronger, rares even more deadly and require group. Classic dungeons scale to similar difficulty like hardmode dungeons in Cata. Also all players playing this mode with be merged together from all servers, so it will be more active population.
    You dont get any particular rewards for playing in hard mode, but you get achievement for completing leveling in it for every class.
    Leveling is that thing we are forced to do before being allowed to play the game. End game. So, no.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    Sure. And while we're at it, let's add a hardcore mode as well, gated behind this increased difficulty. So then, not only is leveling harder, but if you die, it's permanent death for the character. Grexly knows what's up. *thumbs up*

If I could be serious for a moment, though... One thing that would help is if the zones all scaled (possibly a toggled ability for those that prefer it). This way, it's not possible to simply out-level any particular area, thus trivializing its content. This is something the devs did with the content in Legion. You can out-gear (in time), but you can't out level.
    This is the beauty of Legion you are never able to out level the zones, only out gear them which will not happen until you hit 110..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    This is the beauty of Legion you are never able to out level the zones, only out gear them which will not happen until you hit 110..
    Now if only the content was actually tuned to be challenging or interesting when at the same level. Can we get an option to do it 3 levels behind instead so it's possible to die?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Some classes wouldn't be able to deal with this. It's completely unfair.

No, leveling is already a pain.
    Didn't stop Vanilla leveling from being the best leveling to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No, tried levelling in vanilla and couldn't make it past 23 before being bored. It wasn't hard per say, but there were situations you could get into where you were basically fucked. Plus it was unnecessarily slow.
    It was still fast compared to competition.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Ehhh, vanilla leveling wasn't "harder" per say, it just took more time. Single mobs took 10-20 seconds to kill depending on your class, and casters had to sit and drink every 2-3 mobs.

That and, the quest flow was all fucked up, forcing you to do multiple zones at the same time in order to not run out of quests. This was kinda neat, as it made you explore the world, instead of just going on one linear path through each leveling zone.

I enjoyed vanilla leveling because in the act of taking so long, you become invested in your character. A sort of "the journey is more exciting than the destination" type of deal. Getting new spell ranks every 2 levels was exciting, getting a blue weapon was exciting, getting your level 20/30/40 talent was exciting. You really felt the increase in power every two levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    It wasn't hard per say, but there were situations you could get into where you were basically fucked.
    Yes, vanilla questing was tuned around doing it with 2-3 people, being that it's an MMORPG and all. It wasn't until WOTLK that they tuned down leveling to make everything easily doable solo.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-08-27 at 03:10 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Among the biggest complains about current WoW is leveling which is so easy, you just never feel sense of danger. If Blizzard ever addresses this adding optional hard mode, would you choose it over default one?
    This is how I see this hard mode: you can active it just like lock XP - speaking with NPC in Stormwind or Ironforge. Then all classic zones 1-60 become much harder, similar to vanilla experience. Common mobs become harder then current elites, elites become 5 times stronger, rares even more deadly and require group. Classic dungeons scale to similar difficulty like hardmode dungeons in Cata. Also all players playing this mode with be merged together from all servers, so it will be more active population.
    You dont get any particular rewards for playing in hard mode, but you get achievement for completing leveling in it for every class.
    Thats a pretty bad poll you got yourself there. Pretty bias.

But there is a huge problem with your version of a hard mode and that is that it seperates the community. By activating hard mode, you can no longer play with other players, who are not in hard mode. This will make it hard to do any rare minions or any dungeons, since the que would proberly be very long.
    I love the idea of harder content, and more rewarding features when you finally do this hard content, but splitting the community is suicide for an MMO, since you would see even fewer people around then you already are.

So find a way where everybody can play together and you might have yourself a good idea
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I would not as you outlined it. But with the new scaling system, and the feature adding a hard-mode character slot (since I have 1 of each class already), I would do it if it made the entire game scale to your lvl and gear score, made dungeons not faceroll easy again, disabled the XP-gain on heirlooms (but not the iLvl scaling), and maybe added an XP penalty on death (if it wasn't to ridiculous).

I love challenge modes in games, as long as I also have the option when I am tired or lazy or just want some story and gaming fun time to not have to be working my arse off to enjoy it as well. I think the concept is fantastic, I think the options you suggest are a bit too much to get the amount of use Blizzard would want out of a new system before actually considering implementing it though.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Now if only the content was actually tuned to be challenging or interesting when at the same level. Can we get an option to do it 3 levels behind instead so it's possible to die?
    Well depending on your class you will get owned if you pull too many mobs in Legion, more so the end part of Stormheims story line the are around there is packed with elite mobs and you can get owned if you pull too many at once and have a class with crap survivability..

Though if you are Heroic+ HFC eppiced out then the chances are better..

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    This is my favorite part of all of these 'WoW is too easy now' or 'WoW is being dumbed down!' type complaints. When WoW came out, it was looked at as Fisher Price Baby's First MMO by the diehards of the then current MMOs. All the EQ and FFXI fans complained WoW was an easy game for casualbads. And look at us now!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I always give Classic the benefit of doing everything for the first time for many, many people. We were new, we were noobs, we didn't know better and there were pretty much no websites to spoil every single bit for us.
    Not to mention brilliant class quests, working for and earning your abilities. Tons of awesome locations that are now just completely abandoned or replaced by pointless detached low level mobs.

Even at max level you had lengthy amazing quests to do when you weren't raiding. Imagine that...having something to actually fucking do on your main after you've cleared for the week. People love to bitch about attunements but again I don't see how actually having something to do outside of raiding (unlike the past 4 expansions) was a bad thing. The game was better when it wasn't this concentrated World Of Instancecraft.

Leveling taking longer isn't a bad thing. It weeded out a large amount of people that didn't give a shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justank View Post
    This is my favorite part of all of these 'WoW is too easy now' or 'WoW is being dumbed down!' type complaints. When WoW came out, it was looked at as Fisher Price Baby's First MMO by the diehards of the then current MMOs. All the EQ and FFXI fans complained WoW was an easy game for casualbads. And look at us now!
    Well top end raiding is much more difficult now than it was back then in the sense that you're using here. The only difficulty in Vanilla raiding was logistical. Often 15 of your 40 people were carries, 2 loot drops per boss taking forever to gear anyone up, rampant poaching and class stacking, mat farming, etc.

Raiding on a top world level now is much much more difficult in terms of individual ability and responsibility, so when you say look at us now it makes no sense. The personal skill required to do well in raiding hasn't really ever been higher. You're required to use more, do more, and keep track of far more than Vanilla ever could've offered. That's not to say it wasn't a ton of fun but the issues were logistical and structural.

Well top end raiding is much more difficult now than it was back then in the sense that you're using here. The only difficulty in Vanilla raiding was logistical. Often 15 of your 40 people were carries, 2 loot drops per boss taking forever to gear anyone up, rampant poaching and class stacking, mat farming, etc.

Raiding on a top world level now is much much more difficult in terms of individual ability and responsibility, so when you say look at us now it makes no sense. The personal skill required to do well in raiding hasn't really ever been higher. You're required to use more, do more, and keep track of far more than Vanilla ever could've offered. That's not to say it wasn't a ton of fun but the issues were logistical and structural.
    Correct, though I wasn't actually making an argument, just chuckling at how things change.

I wouldn't like a hard mode like that but I also dislike how easy it has become to level. I can't even understand why do people think that leveling is a pain right now. I'd rather they implement a certain amount of free level boosts and turn the leveling experiencing into a less fast paced experience. This is a RPG. I love questing, but if I decide to do a couple dungeons, I'll never be on par with the zone I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Agreed. It's also designed to help you learn how to play. I already know how to play and I can learn a new class well enough to start running dungeons in about 20 minutes, so it's largely pointless.
    Specially with how all the classes have been dumbed down over the years. If you cannot learn at least the basics on any toon within the first 20 minutes of game play there is something seriously wrong with you.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't stop Vanilla leveling from being the best leveling to date.
    Started playing in TBC, so I wouldn't know.
    Statix will suffice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would not do that in the current game world simply because 1-85 leveling content is now so old that I have done it too many times to want to slow it down. And I am someone who generally enjoys questing.

I would play on a legacy server, though, since the classic 1-60 was designed to be a time sink and there was more to it than just mobs with more hp to slow us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    If everyone was running head first into a brick wall would you do that too?
    If my only other options were much worse then that and it was an odd place where I had to pick one.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Still too slow.

Deleted
    Thats Bullshit, no one would do that. They need to give a reward for it or make special Hardcore Servers or people just not going to bother.

hell no. /10charscrap