Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Saronite VS The Legion

Yo MMOC, I've sat with this question in my head.

How useful would saronite be against the Burning Legion. Apparently, it is nigh indestructible and can reflect magic.
    Both very good reasons for Arthas to build his ICC out of it.

And it is said that it destroys souls, but as we all know, Sylvanas came back from impaling herself on spikes made of saronite.
    My guess is either that it does not destroy souls at all, only twists them into something Yogg-Saron can make use of,
    or Sylvanas was not dead ENOUGH at the moment that the Val'kyr did the switcheroo.

Besides, there are reasons why we won't use it en masse: non-undeads slowly go mad from being around the stuff for too long.

Lore forum, your thoughts?

I don't think using the blood of an old god is always a great idea, especially when used for non-mindless humanoids and undead.

Quote Originally Posted by CanerisHarker View Post
    Yo MMOC, I've sat with this question in my head.

How useful would saronite be against the Burning Legion. Apparently, it is nigh indestructible and can reflect magic.
    I'm sure I had plenty of saronite gear during WotLK, and sure enough I still had to spend zillions on repair bills. Indestructible my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    How great can it be if all my saronite armor was replaced with elementium armor?

Deleted
    For gameplay reasons? As we all know, gameplay != lore.

Anyhow, I was hoping for some input on the matter, as my friends and I couldn't come to a conclusion.
    If anything, people would stay away from it unless they are Scourge, KotEB or Forsaken, I think.
    Last edited by mmoc7df4507d3e; 2016-08-27 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard had better writers, they would claim that it lost most of it's powers with the death of Yogg-Saron. But they don't, and it will be forgotten since there isn't any saronite on the broken isles.

It's an Ore powercreep.

"Dang, Saronite is so strong and immune to magic"
    "WTF, Elementium super strong"
    "lul, Ghostiron better than anything"
    "Blackrock Ore is so freaking hard, it requires a powerful Fury to melt!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    I'm sure I had plenty of saronite gear during WotLK, and sure enough I still had to spend zillions on repair bills. Indestructible my ass.
    Lorewise, it should have also driven you mad until the Ashen Verdict came up with a way to purify it.

Wonder why no one ever tried to forge Quel'delar out of it, well off to the Halls of Reflection to check on the other Blade that has a mind on it's own.

Technically only the Ebon Blade and maybe the Forsaken should have been able to use saronite in the first place so...

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I've heard, it was said to have side effects on the mental health of the living (might be a good lore-explanation for some of the things players do...). Not sure if we want something that causes insanity spread all around or cities and fortifications and all over our armies.

Also, during the campaign in icecrown we destroyed most of the saronite mining and production facilities (and personell) arthas had set up and who knows how long bolvar needs to set that up again (or if he even cares to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean the material was destroyed, just that the gear that was assembled out of it came apart.
    Although saronite obviously isn't completely indestructible as seen by the fact that you can re-shape it to make stuff out of it, it's just pretty tough.
    Last edited by Shoat; 2016-08-27 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Deleted
    Thanks for the input. And now, for the other supposed ability of saronite: soul destruction. As noted, it is said to destroy the soul of anything killed with it.
    We know that Sylvanas came back from dying on a saronite spike, which means it doesn't really destroy souls. Else we'd have a new leader among the Forsaken and someone else would be Warchief.

However, do we know what it really does? It could just banish the soul to the Void, or a really special dark place in the Shadowlands where you normally can't come back from.

If actual destruction were the case, wouldn't it make the stuff an excellent weapon against the Legion? (and thus it would make sense that the Legion attacks Northrend/the Frozen Throne/Bolvar?)
    And if it just banishes the soul to a special place. Banish a dead demon to any other place than the Nether. Isn't that great as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input. And now, for the other supposed ability of saronite: soul destruction. As noted, it is said to destroy the soul of anything killed with it.
    We know that Sylvanas came back from dying on a saronite spike, which means it doesn't really destroy souls. Else we'd have a new leader among the Forsaken and someone else would be Warchief.

However, do we know what it really does? It could just banish the soul to the Void, or a really special dark place in the Shadowlands where you normally can't come back from.

If actual destruction were the case, wouldn't it make the stuff an excellent weapon against the Legion? (and thus it would make sense that the Legion attacks Northrend/the Frozen Throne/Bolvar?)
    And if it just banishes the soul to a special place. Banish a dead demon to any other place than the Nether. Isn't that great as well?
    Sylvanas is a banshee possessing her former body. If her body were to be destroyed, her banshee self would still live. The saronite killed the banshee part of her as well

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible that the val'kyr took her soul out of her body as she was falling. Her soul actually became whole in the afterlife.

Deleted
    And thus Sylvanas ended up in the Shadowlands. So to answer this question, we do not have enough info. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    If Blizzard had better writers, they would claim that it lost most of it's powers with the death of Yogg-Saron. But they don't, and it will be forgotten since there isn't any saronite on the broken isles.
    He's not dead, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodok View Post
    He's not dead, though.
    Except Yogg is dead. Yogg itself says it's gonna die and it's kinda salty about it. "Your fate is sealed. The end of days is finally upon you and ALL who inhabit this miserable little seedling. The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity."

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not dead, though.
    Dear (Old) God...he is DEAD. Not really, no, but he has no physical or spiritual presence on Azeroth. He is pretty much just whispers and lingering will at this point

Deleted
    This was a discussion about Yogg-Saron? Oh well. Way to derail the thread.

Anyhow. Any demon we can kill without its soul returning to the Nether, is a win. We'd just have to look into ways to achieve that. And Blizz won't let us do that without really big shenanigans involving Demon Hunters.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Yogg is dead. Yogg itself says it's gonna die and it's kinda salty about it. "Your fate is sealed. The end of days is finally upon you and ALL who inhabit this miserable little seedling. The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity."
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Dear (Old) God...he is DEAD. Not really, no, but he has no physical or spiritual presence on Azeroth. He is pretty much just whispers and lingering will at this point
    "They do not live. They do not die. They are outside the cycle."

Wouldn't it of last its power after he died.

10+ Year Old Account
    "They do not live. They do not die. They are outside the cycle."
    Yep... word of a fanatical follower vs the creature itself cursing us as it is dying.

Nevermind Blizzard themselves saying OGs die.