Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    1:40 your friend, 2:20 you!
    I'ts the other way around mate

i'm normally a blues guy, but i like to shred now and then if its needed haha

Dont get me wrong tho, my friend can put some serious lines down too!

Everyone here is missing the point. Here's what he asked.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I know we have some musicians on these boards. How do you learn songs? Do you need sheet music or are you able to learn by hearing the song?
    If you've never heard the song, then the only way to learn it is by reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    sheet music is only needed for hip hop
    Um...wut?

As a Professional Violinist, f trying to learn a piece (songs are sung, pieces are instrumental imo) without sheet music.

One of the latest pieces I restarted for my recital seasons that I so am not going to try playing by ear for some silly make believe idea. In a couple weeks, I'll have this Ysaÿe Sonata No. 5 memorized then I won't need the sheet music unless I am in rehearsals.

I'd suggest everybody learn how to read music and a little bit of theory (especially Jazz and Blues players). No ways you'll regret doing so regardless if you just play the theme song to Frozen or iron out the last minor chords for your symphony.

15+ Year Old Account
    I play better by ear. My skills at reading sheet music have greatly diminished since school. I think its best to have both skills, but I've really slipped.

Guitar is all I know, but I can tell you I started there by learning to read guitar tabs. Even at beginner level, you'll be able to figure out tabs pretty quickly. Then find tabs for some of your favorite songs online and practice at it until you get them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Guitar is all I know, but I can tell you I started there by learning to read guitar tabs. Even at beginner level, you'll be able to figure out tabs pretty quickly. Then find tabs for some of your favorite songs online and practice at it until you get them right.
    But then you'll only be able to play songs that you've heard previously. You'll never be able to play anything without having heard it before.

Deleted
    basic rock/metal songs i can do by hearing on guitar. but now i'm learning spanish/classical songs, and i can't do that by hearing so much.. so i rely on guitar tabs sicne i don't read the musical notation

Learning by ear is one of the most important skills to learn. Ear training is fundamental, and sheet music is depriving you of this if you are just using it routinely. Especially if one is just hacking around and doing no formal training I think learning by ear is one of the best things you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I'm not a serious musician. It's just a hobby. My largest regret, musically, is not learning to read music/theory as a kid. I just learned stuff by ear or the occasion usage of tabs for reference.
    Yeah, that awkward moment when you realise that every note on the neck is the same as it was 25 years ago, and will be in another 25 so even if it seems insurmountable it is just something you do then it is done. As too, will all the intervals be the same. There is no reason to not learn theory, once you know it you know it and of course it allows much more efficient communication with other musicians.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Learning by ear is one of the most important skills to learn. Ear training is fundamental, and sheet music is depriving you of this if you are just using it routinely. Especially if one is just hacking around and doing no formal training I think learning by ear is one of the best things you can do.

Yeah, that awkward moment when you realise that every note on the neck is the same as it was 25 years ago, and will be in another 25 so even if it seems insurmountable it is just something you do then it is done. As too, will all the intervals be the same. There is no reason to not learn theory, once you know it you know it and of course it allows much more efficient communication with other musicians.
    There's several key aspects of music theory that are much more easily graspable if you can read music. Telling someone that they're depriving themselves of anything by routinely reading music is wrong. Of course ear training is valuable too, but they're not mutually exclusive. You can do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    There's several key aspects of music theory that are much more easily graspable if you can read music. Telling someone that they're depriving themselves of anything by routinely reading music is wrong. Of course ear training is valuable too, but they're not mutually exclusive. You can do both.
    I sure it was obvious I meant routinely using sheet music to learn songs, rather than ever using your ears.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a good musical memory and can usually reproduce a jazz/blues/funk composition after listening to it several times (provided it isn't too long or complicated). Sheet music... Well, I can read it, sure, but it just isn't the same: I need to hear the music to really "feel" it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post
    Making music with computer is more my thing :P
    Yesssss! *gives five* This is, pretty much, the only reason I even have musical instruments at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I sure it was obvious I meant routinely using sheet music to learn songs, rather than ever using your ears.
    Sight singing is a fundamental component of ear training. A fundamental component of ear training is listening to music and then writing it down. And you can't do that without reading music.

There's no real need to spend time learning to play by ear. Spend 2-3 years playing by reading music and then, concurrently, start to study ear training and sight singing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can only be bothered with tabs. I can pick a song faster by ear than trying to filter through sheet music. Been playing/singing by ear for 20+ years. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    Here is Lefty and I playing a song that i made
    That's a pretty great song. The tone is amazing. I'm a long time George Lynch fan, so... I've never been able to do the fast "shredding" though. My fingers are lazy I guess. :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Can only be bothered with tabs. I can pick a song faster by ear than trying to filter through sheet music. Been playing/singing by ear for 20+ years. /shrug

That's a pretty great song. The tone is amazing. I'm a long time George Lynch fan, so... I've never been able to do the fast "shredding" though. My fingers are lazy I guess. :/
    Thanks! i made the song at 06:50 in the morning, it just popped out, and i sent it over to my friend to see if he wanted to tag along

i'm more of a "less is more" kind of guy when it comes to guitar, and i love a huge and sweet tone, instead of a tiny treblely tone (like a bee/whasp or whatever you can describe it haha)

i play slow compared to other players when i shred, but the trick is to relax when playing fast the more relaxed you can get when you play fast, the faster you can play!

my biggest problem when playing is to, sync up my right and left hand, but is kinda getting it under control tho

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks! i made the song at 06:50 in the morning, it just popped out, and i sent it over to my friend to see if he wanted to tag along
    Well it's definitely good stuff! Some music just doesn't need lyrics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Well it's definitely good stuff! Some music just doesn't need lyrics.
    Damn right!

Also, i cant sing for shit anyway, gotta rely on my fingers i guess haha

Deleted
    Used to do both on piano over 2 decades ago.

If a musician can't do both, he's an amateur at best. Can't learn properly without reading sheets. Can't be even an average musician without having decent hearing. Thus both skills are mandatory.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2016-08-27 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Used to do both on piano over 2 decades ago.

If a musician can't do both, he's an amateur at best. Can't learn properly without reading sheets. Can't be even an average musician without having decent hearing. Thus both skills are mandatory.
    i must say i disagree to this

there is A LOT of people out there, living on their music, who cant read any notes, and some, cant even play their instruments

7+ Year Old Account
    Damn right!
    Now that I've listen to it, it kind of reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j4riYsXQR8. You should check out of some his other stuff.

Deleted
    i must say i disagree to this

there is A LOT of people out there, living on their music, who cant read any notes, and some, cant even play their instruments
    I've seen many "musicians" like those earning money on street, but they aren't musicians. They are faking it. Gullible people that don't know better give them money. Its like giving money to gypsy beggars. They don't count.