Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Weddings costing almost 100K now

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...skyrocket.html

As soon as she got engaged, Shannon Hulley started dreaming of streetcars.
    “It’s all exciting, you start talking about where you want to get married, where you want to take pictures, and it was all based around the city,” the 28-year-old said. “We’re going to go to where the TTC parks all the streetcars and take our wedding photos there, all that kind of stuff.”

But then she realized how much it was going to cost to get married in Toronto: about $80,000 to $90,000 to be able to include both of their big families and all their friends.

Instead, Hulley and her fiancée have settled on having their September 2017 wedding at a banquet hall in Hamilton — just one of many couples forced to leave the city to take their vows thanks to skyrocketing costs.
    Hulley estimates the move cut her wedding’s price tag in half. But it also means starting a new chapter in her life in a place she has no connection to.

“This monumental event in our lives, and we have to do in a different city,” said Hulley. “I really had my heart set on getting married in Toronto, I’ve lived here my whole life.”
    Lisa Garofalo, a wedding planner at Toronto’s Bliss wedding and event planning, said there’s no doubt prices for Toronto weddings have been climbing in the past few years. But, she said, it’s not all about the growing expense of downtown venues.
    Social media sites such as Pinterest and Instagram have spurred people to go in search of pricey extras, like vintage wooden chairs, that drive up overall costs.

Still, Garofalo estimates getting hitched in a place like Hamilton or Woodbridge can be 25 to 50 per cent cheaper than Toronto, where a wedding with a guest list of about 150 people can easily come in at $90,000.
    Trish MacKenzie also wanted to get married in the city, but, after a long search, found a spot in Kleinburg, just north of Toronto for her big day this June.

“One of the hard parts about getting married outside of Toronto is that even the people who live here still have to get hotels, so it’s a bigger cost to guests as well,” the 25-year-old said. “If you want to do the traditional route you just can’t, unless you’ve got bundles of money somewhere.”
    Hulley sees the wedding exodus as part of a larger trend towards millennials being priced out of the city they grew up in.
    “Everyone that’s around our age is going to have to start their lives and do everything outside of the city they’ve lived in their whole lives, just purely based on money,” she said.

Lisa Garofalo, a wedding planner at Bliss, suggests looking at venues such as restaurants or hotels that already have tables, chairs and decor so you don’t have to pay extra.

She also recommends having a “different style of wedding,” doing food stations instead of a seated dinner, for example, to save on details like centrepieces and napkins.

Garofalo suggests a daytime wedding with a lunch or brunch instead of dinner. Graydon Hall Manor is one local venue that offers this option.

Wow scary.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...skyrocket.html

It's a really bad sign if your other half wants to splurge to this degree on a wedding. A good sign that they really aren't marriage material. What's up with couples wanting to spend more than a year's worth of salary on one day...

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea why people want to do this. My wife wanted to go as cheap as we could on ours and we go out of it with maybe $800 total including what we spent on our honeymoon. Maybe we just have simpler tastes but we had 18 or so people there more than enough food for everyone and spent 2 days going to museums, zoo and an aquarium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the new avatar, where does it come from?

Woodbridge doesn't count because Italian princesses always overspend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shes getting ripped off. I Maitre D' at a 4star wedding venue on Long Island and the average price for a pretty lavish 200person wedding is around 20-30k.

As a person that has been married and divorced twice, if your future spouse has a wedding picked out that is anywhere near 100k, find a new spouse.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    No idea why people want to do this. My wife wanted to go as cheap as we could on ours and we go out of it with maybe $800 total including what we spent on our honeymoon. Maybe we just have simpler tastes but we had 18 or so people there more than enough food for everyone and spent 2 days going to museums, zoo and an aquarium.
    Go to a JP and get it done. Then throw a party for friends/family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

They cost as much as you are willing to spend. they can cost nothing too.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    How about...

And this is going to sound crazy...

But how about having a smaller smaller wedding, and have the party at like.. your house *gasp*

It's almost like you could not piss your money away. People are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    100k wedding? Are they renting a carrier for it or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Mine was less than 200$ Just went to a judge brought my sister and her man and my mom. Who ever spends more is just insane or really into big family get togethers
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, their wedding their business. Although 100k would be too much for me. Maybe more like 20 or 30k. I'll probably spend like 3k on my dress

My sister and brother in law's wedding cost them about $2,500. It was fun, the food was great, the location was splendid. It's crazy people want to start their new lives together so heavily in debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems more reasonable. I don't see why you need to invite everyone including the mailman and butcher to a wedding. It should be for the man and woman involved more than anything else. Museums, zoos and aquarium definitely seems more than fun enough. Especially in terms of creating lasting memories of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    But how about having a smaller smaller wedding, and have the party at like.. your house *gasp*
    Try fitting 150 people in your *apartment* (which is what most people in a big city have).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people would say they don't want only a two day honeymoon, it's true.

OT: Living in Victoria, and having friends in Toronto, this article is complete BS. You only spend $100k on a wedding if you have an uncontrollable guest list and aren't trying to not spend that kind of money. Can wedding costs get out of hand? Sure. But they can also stay very reasonable if you don't try to go all out with expensive extras.

TL;DR: People are idiots and complain when they spend money that they didn't actually have to.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    Try fitting 150 people in your *apartment* (which is what most people in a big city have).
    Then don't fucking invite 150 people? Jesus how big is your immediate family? Do you really need all your third cousins at your wedding? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    150? I probably don't even know so many people personally.

If I was having a wedding, I would probably invite my brother and parents, a few really close friends, and maaaaaaaybe my cousin. What's the point inviting everyone you can think of inviting, when you couldn't care less about most of those people?
    Last edited by May90; 2016-08-28 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Eh, their wedding their business. Although 100k would be too much for me. Maybe more like 20 or 30k. I'll probably spend like 3k on my dress
    Ok we get it, you're rich

So when are we getting married, and how soon are you dying...? Just... uh... curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Then don't fucking invite 150 people? Jesus how big is your immediate family? Do you really need all your third cousins at your wedding? No.
    Depends on the Clinton senses of the family. I have at least 30 family members that I'm close with myself