Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Western Diet Linked to Greater Risk for Alzheimer’s

http://psychcentral.com/news/2016/08...rs/109152.html

A new review of international data adds to the growing evidence that diet plays a significant role in the risk for Alzheimer’s disease and that populations consuming a Western diet — more meat, sweets, and high-fat dairy products — tend to have the highest rates of the disease.

Alzheimer’s disease is increasing worldwide. Currently, about 42 million people have dementia, with Alzheimer’s disease being the most common type. The greatest risk factors appear to be associated with diet, particularly the excessive consumption of meat, commonly found in Westernized diets.

“Mounting evidence from ecological and observational studies, as well as studies of mechanisms, indicates that the Western dietary pattern — especially the large amount of meat in that diet — is strongly associated with risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and several other chronic diseases,” said Dr. William B.Grant, author of the review published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

His findings, which come from ecological and observational studies, also show that fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products, legumes, and fish are associated with reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

In addition, the researchers investigated the specific risk each country and region faces for developing Alzheimer’s disease based on their associated dietary habits. They compared the Alzheimer’s disease prevalence of 10 countries — Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Egypt, India, Mongolia, Nigeria, Republic of Korea, Sri Lanka, and the United States — to dietary data that had been gathered five, 10, and 15 years before the prevalence data.

They found that when many people in Japan left behind the traditional diet to start consuming a more Westernized diet, Alzheimer’s disease rates rose from one percent in 1985 to seven percent in 2008.

Overall, the findings show that consumption of meat or animal products (excluding milk) had the highest correlations with Alzheimer’s disease prevalence.

Residents of the United States seem to be at particular risk, with each person in the U.S. having about a four percent chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Grant says that “reducing meat consumption could significantly reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease as well as of several cancers, diabetes mellitus type II, stroke, and, likely, chronic kidney disease.”

“Although the traditional Mediterranean diet is associated with about half the risk for Alzheimer’s disease of the Western diet, the traditional diets of countries such as India, Japan, and Nigeria, with very low meat consumption, are associated with an additional 50 percent reduction in risk of Alzheimer’s disease,” said Grant.
    Incredible scary.

Do you eat a western diet? Will this change your view and will you try to eat a wider variety of food and drink from now on?

Alzheimers and dementia are incredibly scary. We all need to do our part to reduce the risk of achieving such a dangerous disease. This article is a good example of why multiculturalism is such a good thing. It gives you a wide variety to choose from as opposed to just your basic fast food.

Deleted
    But Tennis, it's cultural appropriation to cook and eat other cultures' food. Can't believe you're promoting bigotry like this....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    But Tennis, it's cultural appropriation to cook and eat other cultures' food. Can't believe you're promoting bigotry like this....

Not if you support their restaurants. Then you're being a good citizen and helping people of all backgrounds to be successful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not if you support their restaurants. Then you're being a good citizen and helping people of all backgrounds to be successful.
    Oh wow. Now you think everybody can afford to go out and eat at restaurants. I guess poor people don't exist now either, huh? Not to mention you're only a "good citizen" if you have the money to do that. Disgusting.

So done with you and your hate. Check your privilege. Blocked.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-08-28 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Oh wow. Now you think everybody can afford to go out and eat at restaurants. I guess poor people don't exist now either, huh?

So done with you and your hate. Blocked.
    Don't get him started on women who enjoy those appropriated foods too much. You've never seen such misogyny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because people can totally afford to eat at restaurants all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yeah, because people can totally afford to eat at restaurants all the time.
    If they can't then they buy ingredients from ethnic grocery stores or from the international line at their grocery. Not that difficult.

So something rises as the planet increases in population shocking. Next you're gonna tell me more deaths happen.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can't then they buy ingredients from ethnic grocery stores or from the international line at their grocery. Not that difficult.
    And then deal with the import taxes driving the prices up too?

What's next, they should only buy Organic?

10+ Year Old Account
    And then deal with the import taxes driving the prices up too?

What's next, they should only buy Organic?
    We should certainly buy organic as best as possible. Why not? It's about being a responsible human being and not a scumbag.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tennisace

What must we do??!?!?!?!

What the hell is "western diet"?

10+ Year Old Account
    We should certainly buy organic as best as possible. Why not? It's about being a responsible human being and not a scumbag.
    Well, you should donate your money to charity for others to afford that! Else, you'd be a B-Word...

What the heck does "not being a scumbag" have to do with someone's diet? That's a stretch if I've ever seen one.

Also it's a "4% risk" for US, that's not even nearly enough to say specifically its the food if you ask me. It's such a small amount, compared to the other side which is apparently a "2% risk" (since they mentioned half of the risk). I'd be more interesting in knowing the comparison of life expectancy between the two, since I would imagine an aging brain would have a greater chance of having issues.

Lastly, nothing in the article you posted at least mentioned fast food diets...but instead it said meat and animal products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Lastly, nothing in the article you posted at least mentioned fast food diets...but instead it said meat and animal products.
    I didn't read his post, but I can tell you from experience "Western Diets" do include a lot more meat.

I like Mediterranean dishes, because they're like 80% vegetables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    @Tennisace

What must we do??!?!?!?!
    Have a well rounded diet. Try new recipes out and discover how many amazing types of food exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    What the heck does "not being a scumbag" have to do with someone's diet? That's a stretch if I've ever seen one.

Also it's a "4% risk" for US, that's not even nearly enough to say specifically its the food if you ask me. It's such a small amount, compared to the other side which is apparently a "2% risk" (since they mentioned half of the risk). I'd be more interesting in knowing the comparison of life expectancy between the two, since I would imagine an aging brain would have a greater chance of having issues.

A scumbag wouldn't care about how their food is produced. Whether it was grown ethically or not. Whether the animals were treated properly and fed well. These things factor in as to whether one is a decent human being or not. We all have a responsibility as citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, my family has a history of dementia even eating super healthy. I think it's because we live so long...

May as well eat BBQ if I'm gonna get dementia anyway!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I think it's because we live so long...
    ABOUT THAT.

Hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a well rounded diet. Try new recipes out and discover how many amazing types of food exist.

- - - Updated - - -

A scumbag wouldn't care about how their food is produced. Whether it was grown ethically or not. Whether the animals were treated properly and fed well. These things factor in as to whether one is a decent human being or not. We all have a responsibility as citizens.
    Which often requires money, which poor people don't really have. So they end up getting the crap food or mass produced food

- - - Updated - - -

ABOUT THAT.

Hehe.
    Just wait until I get dementia. It will happen, as both sides of my family have a history of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ha suck it loosers I can't afford meat.