Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why noone mention melee dps? it seems everyone suggest ranged dps , why ranged dps has a higher chance than melee dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Priority list when recruiting in my experience as a recruiter for my guild for years.

1) Skilled Tank - Top priority above all else. However, only applies when a tank is leaving, have already left or wants to change specs. Its simple to see why this is number 1. Any guild needs two Solid tanks.

2) Any tank - Only applies in the same situation as number one. Its priority is still above everything else since, again, you NEED tanks. However, this usually is a bi-product of looking for a skilled tank. You run into tanks who are mediocre or horrible. You make due since you have nothing else. However, typically, you keep looking since a bad tank could quite literally halt all progression.

3) Skilled healers - Always welcome. There are usually 4-5 healers and maybe a few back ups. However, a skilled healer is always wanted since you may have one or two you can replace.

4) Any healer - Close by number 3. Most healers will do. The only exception is a bad healer. Those you can either carry by having enough skilled healers, or by using on farm content until you get a skilled healer.

5) Dps - Dime a dozen. You can pretty safely go through dps as you please. Keep the ones you like, kick the ones who you don't. No discretion between skilled or bad since any is fine until you get a skilled one. Unlike with a tank or healer where skill is a Lot more noticeable. You can usually safely carry 1-2 unskilled dps, even on progression. They have a use as fodder for some things where someone Will die.

That is my priority list. DPS we just sorta sort through as we get them. Tanks and healers are really priority since if you have a bad tank, you Will Not progress. Period. With a bad healer, its still possible, but the difficulty is Increased drastically. With a bad dps, you can either carry or kick pretty easily.
    I can pretty much vouch that this is a copy/paste checklist of our guilds recruiting policy as well... With fluctuations based on current content/roster needs etc.

For the OP: Yes, you will find it easier to get into a good raiding guild in general if you are a SKILLED tank, mediocre to average will get you in, but you'll see a LOT of bench time until farm content when the main tanks don't want to run it anymore. Skilled dps are everywhere, for every 1 spot we have for a dps, I sift through 10-15 apps of skilled dps, but a tank or healer spot can take months to find a skilled replacement

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Why noone mention melee dps? it seems everyone suggest ranged dps , why ranged dps has a higher chance than melee dps?
    Ranged is better, more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    I can pretty much vouch that this is a copy/paste checklist of our guilds recruiting policy as well... With fluctuations based on current content/roster needs etc.

For the OP: Yes, you will find it easier to get into a good raiding guild in general if you are a SKILLED tank, mediocre to average will get you in, but you'll see a LOT of bench time until farm content when the main tanks don't want to run it anymore. Skilled dps are everywhere, for every 1 spot we have for a dps, I sift through 10-15 apps of skilled dps, but a tank or healer spot can take months to find a skilled replacement
    1) There are generally only 2 spots available for tanks per raid group.
    2) The tanking role is the least advisable to rotate.
    3) Your current tanks dictate your recruitment policy.
    4) It is less probable for a good tank to step down from a good guild.

*There is potentially also the sunk cost fallacy making some guilds less willing to part with even mediocre tanks.

As such, getting into a good guild is least probable by playing a tank.

I remember looking at the top 20 guilds on my server midway through WoD when a lot of people had left and there was a lot of guild reorganisation.

None of the top 20 needed a tank. They were mostly short of dps (before asking I would have suspected healers). Many of them pugged additional spots with dps.

Because there's rarely a reason to take a melee dps over a ranged, and when you do need them you hardly ever need more than a third of your dps total.

As a tank you will never join an already progressing/successful guild unless something major happens to its tank, like having to quit the game mostly because they already probably have some sort of offtank player geared up in case that happened, which will replace the missing spot for awhile till the tank comes back or pretty much they recruit someone they consider of their level.

The easiest has and always has been a good Ranged DPS most of the time since most fights are gimped for melee, which is logical.

Now, for casual raiding its exactly the same for healers, they are needed, badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Your best bet statistically would probably be one of the less popular ranged dps specs, like moonkin or elemental. There are going to be a lot of mages in legion. It can be incredibly difficult for tanks to find a spot, and when it comes to healers guilds usually need a specific class.
    Why would any sane recruiter look for elemental, I wonder.

Because you can switch all your melees with ranged and your raid performance will only become better, but switch all ranged with melees and you will fail terribly even at farm bosses? Melees are for pvp.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    I wonder about this , who has better chance to find a good guild , a tank or a dps?
    People with brains and patience. Spec doesn't matter.

I feel I could contribute to this thread, awhile back I made a thread of my own regarding that my old guild had left the realm and faction for greener pastures on a medium sized realm. At the time I was a Warlock and we had HFC Mythic on farm for quite awhile. I refused to go along but had been experimenting with tanking for quite sometime filling in for tanks who couldn't attend to optional saturday raids.

With them gone I decided to try and get a tanking spot for Legion to the best of everyone that posted in that thread. They was right no matter how much I tried to make it work I just couldn't. I'll share with you what I did, I made use of Openraid and general pickup groups and built logs of myself in Highmaul, Blackrock Foundry and HFC all at at least Heroic as well as logging Mythic Dungeons. This made up the bulk of my application to other guilds. I even went out my way to acquire proven defender before the pre-patch dropped.

On my realm I must have applied to over 40+ guilds with a decline from even the ones that was actively recruiting Tanks. You see there is 2 spots 3 at best which is a off-spec tank. So with only 2 spots to fill there's a chance they already have your class as they did in my case (Prot Warrior).

The main issue with getting a Tanking spot is that guilds even returning guilds have core players that they want in those spots. As a tank it's a very important place to put yourself in and in their eyes you would be a gamble for progression and stability of the guild. So I in this case was unproven even with those logs.

In the end I went back to my Warlock, within 5mins of looking for a new guild thanks to my performance I was able to join a top 10 realm Guild. I wouldn't say give up but find time to do it with a guild over time, earn their trust and one day you may end up being one of those 2 core tanks.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    No. Guilds need only two tanks. Finiding guild as a tank may be harder than DPS or healer. You can get more healers or more DPS in raid. But nobody needs a third tank.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    On my realm I must have applied to over 40+ guilds with a decline from even the ones that was actively recruiting Tanks. You see there is 2 spots 3 at best which is a off-spec tank. So with only 2 spots to fill there's a chance they already have your class as they did in my case (Prot Warrior).
    im sorry but with 40 declined applications there were definitely some other problems than your role.

Quote Originally Posted by pmkaboo View Post
    im sorry but with 40 declined applications there were definitely some other problems than your role.
    No, when you receive the same "We don't need a tank, plz respec and try again" reply all over again. Or do you really think guilds would just shit over their already existing tanks in favor of a newcomer? They wouldn't, and tank switches usually are being prepared for long ahead.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Tanks are the lowest demand role. Many guilds have had their tanks for years. A good dps would absolutely find it easier to get a raid slot.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    No, when you receive the same "We don't need a tank, plz respec and try again" reply all over again. Or do you really think guilds would just shit over their already existing tanks in favor of a newcomer? They wouldn't, and tank switches usually are being prepared for long ahead.
    if you understand that tanks wont be replaced as easily as dps, then why waste time on 40+ apps to guilds that arent looking for a tank? i know the demand for tanks is lower than for other roles, im a tank myself, the point is just that this particular argument is wrong.

Playing a tank improves your chances of having stroke and losing faith in humanity.

Healers in my experince is the easiest. If you are a healer that also has a ranged DPS spec you can play its almost an automatic shoo in.

I wonder about this , who has better chance to find a good guild , a tank or a dps?
    I would argue that unless one of the two tanks in a guild goes missing then you are not finding a spot as a tank. Good dps is not hard to find. Skilled healers that can keep a raid up with fewer than the ordinary number of players slotted as healers so that you can stack dps now they are worth their weight in gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Playing a tank improves your chances of having stroke and losing faith in humanity.
    I can fully support this statement.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Being a tank isn't a golden ticket into a guild. Never really was since most that are progressing probably already have the tanks they need anyway.

That said if you have a tank spec and want to be active in and making an active guild you should be keeping it fairly current. If you run 5's with everyone regularly and you get a reputation as a good tank there then you'll eventually be the tank for the secondary raid or be available to step into the main-tank roles later on.

If you want a golden ticket, just have a pulse and heal really. Healers are still poached up regularly and always in demand more than any other role in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pmkaboo View Post
    if you understand that tanks wont be replaced as easily as dps, then why waste time on 40+ apps to guilds that arent looking for a tank? i know the demand for tanks is lower than for other roles, im a tank myself, the point is just that this particular argument is wrong.
    Because alot of guilds are recruiting all specs as they say when in reality they are not. I'm a mythic level raider who wanted to join a guild that was going to do mythics. Its not easy trying to move myself as an unproven individual in their eyes. I'm not their friend and most guilds have cliques.

I would suggest becoming equally good at your dps spec. Apply as both and what usually happens is you're a 3rd-4th tank that can step in when one of the mains can't make it.

Also, I've known some guilds to use a rotation. They have 3-5 tanks that take turns weekly tanking or dps. That way they have extra people with real tanking experience to step in should another have to quit or whatever.