Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Seen advertisement for Overwatch, ZERO here in the UK for Legion.

Most of their focus this go around seemed to be on content creators and events. So streamers, youtubers, and big websites built around WoW were all given access to beta and encouraged to push out content and invited to events to have interviews and present what they saw. Then you had the big events where they went around and displayed and talked about what they were going to do to press which again was more internet/print based. Also they finally started using Lore a little more for what he is good at instead of just rolling b-roll videos and forum management and had him interviewing and talking about things on the Blizzard channel. I think at this point Blizzard knows, like we all do, WoW isn't going to drag in a new generation of gamers. It will mostly be a surge of returning players that bring its numbers up and along with that surge you might get a few new friends to come along by word of mouth. So they are focusing on where these types of gamers get their news. Not to mention emailing anyone that ever has subbed to the game reminding them about the opportunity to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    ^ this.

MMO Champ is quite literally the reason I got adblock a couple of years ago and have never turned it off since. 34 ads blocked from MMO Champ right now. To call that obnoxious is almost letting them off lightly.
    Try wowhead. I turned off addblock to be a good member and all and kept getting long winded talking advertisements with obnoxious voices. Especially annoying because i open up multiple windows to cross reference info. Turned on adblock after a week or two of that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    So it could be your fault then for having Adblock?
    Adblock is a necessity these days. Too many ads contain malware (including some here), so you've got to be very careful with what ads you allow to even load.

Outside of malware, I refuse to tolerate ads that:

a) highjack my screen
    b) open new tabs without my consent
    c) popups
    d) autoplay video
    e) flashy animations

They have definitely gone a different way in terms of advertising. They've focused more on having interviews with the developers on platforms like Twitch and Youtube. They've spent probably an obscene amount of money on those "Azeroth Armory"-things. TV isn't the only way to advertise something, i think they switched it up because it's expensive as fuck to have TV-ads and WoW in itself draws attention when an expansion is about to hit. Time will tell if it was the right call or not.

Deleted
    Most of the advertising was done in the internet in forms of cross promotions with streamers and other gaming events. The whole beta and its invites were a huge marketing campaign rather than actual beta testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Seems so. Saw an overwatch ad the other day and tons of short ads for WoD a couple years back. But none for Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Actually no, it's obnoxious online ads that pop up that killed online advertisement. MMOC is a good example as it's such a pain to visit without adblock, mine is currently blocking 35, that's a ridiculous number
    Just on this page alone, mine is at 60. SIXTY!! It's gone far beyond ridiculous, and is well into the ludicrous stage. Next up: Pure Insanity.

MMO champion made me want to get ad-block (my most frequent site)

security became the side benefit......(because the sad thing is ad-block can be the best security software for you if you only go to "safe" sites)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Just on this page alone, mine is at 60. SIXTY!! It's gone far beyond ridiculous, and is well into the ludicrous stage. Next up: Pure Insanity.
    It's not 60 ads it's blocking. Just turn it off and show me 60 ads on the page.

I can't remember what that number actually means, but it's not 1=1 ad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Correct, they still advertised but just in a different way.

Personally I think it's the right call.
    The people you manage to reach at 8 PM on the television is not their target audience.
    Their potential playerbase are probably behind their computer at that time, and with interviews, web-ads and YouTube-videos.

I personally know three people that will (re)-join for Legion and another four that are considering it.
    None of those due to TV-commercials, all of that is online advertising and mouth-to-mouth.
    They're not new players though

Deleted
    I've not seen a single ad on TV either (in the UK), whereas WoD was everywhere even at prime-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Correct, they still advertised but just in a different way.

Personally I think it's the right call.
    The people you manage to reach at 8 PM on the television is not their target audience.
    Their potential playerbase are probably behind their computer at that time, and with interviews, web-ads and YouTube-videos.

I personally know three people that will (re)-join for Legion and another four that are considering it.
    None of those due to TV-commercials, all of that is online advertising and mouth-to-mouth.
    Basically. We can safely assume that they've done their research properly. Blizzard are no fools, they know exactly what they're doing.

- - - Updated - - -

They're not new players though
    They pushed for that during WoD. They ended up with the same numbers as every other expansion launch, at about 10 million.

Deleted
    Haven't seen anything either.

But you knows what's really hilarious? People in /2 flipping out when someone mentions legion. "What, there's a new xpac coming out? No way dude you're lying! Souuurce!"

How is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    Haven't seen anything either.

But you knows what's really hilarious? People in /2 flipping out when someone mentions legion. "What, there's a new xpac coming out? No way dude you're lying! Souuurce!"

How is that even possible?
    Trolls, thats why it's possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Trolls, thats why it's possible.
    Potentially. But then, when I look at these guys in their unenchanted highmaul lfr gear and "the patient" title, I'm not so sure.

I'm still looking for a place in that link that says, "Majority of people has addblock."
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalfury View Post
    Hmm must admit, this is the first expansion I don't remember there being a tv spot for
    I've seen ads for it, but I can't remember if it was on TV or Youtube.

And you know what's really interesting? A day or so ago there was a thread about somebody whining about getting a Legion ad email from Blizzard.

Now here's a guy who says they aren't advertising enough.

The WoW community, everyone. Top form as usual.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    Potentially. But then, when I look at these guys in their unenchanted highmaul lfr gear and "the patient" title, I'm not so sure.
    Well then it's just nature having it's way. The launcher and login screen has legion all written over it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

by your own link it's less than 20%.. That is a majority?