Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    In Romania a 150 people wedding is a small one. But the costs are less, I would say maybe 10-30k euro/usd per wedding and you make that money back since people here give you money. It's like 2x the cost per person you get back via wedding money gift. Dunno why in US/Canada is different and why people there choose to buy useless stuff instead of giving money.

Basicly you get put a downpayment on an apartment, car or go to an exotic honeymoon + have some money left after the wedding. Each couple chooses what they want.
    In the U.S. it depends on the culture. If you come from a big Chinese or Jewish family with lots of close aunts, uncles, and grandparents/aunts/uncles, you could easily make enough from the red envelopes to offset the cost of the wedding.

My wife and I paid for our own wedding, and we received almost three times that in cash from my family. If I had married a chinese girl, instead of a midwest farm girl, we could easily double the amount.

When my son got married my in-laws paid for everything so I have no idea how much the wedding cost. My son was not close to my side of the family, but they still received enough for 20% downpayment for a house in Champaign Urbana. If it had been my daughter, the amount would have been a lot higher. She is very close with my side of the family.

Me + Wife + Gretna Green = perfect day for about 2k total.

Bollocks to putting on a day that is for other people. We did what WE wanted to and nothing more, nothing less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Failure doesnt always happen, but its always smart to consider it a possibility and prepare for it. Its better than not doing so and if it does happen, you end up worse off
    It's this kind of thinking that leads women to be the most frustrating and inane creatures, that i know of.

It's not even rational. It's just a mental safety lock. And the fact that people go to practical lengths to ensure in case of failure, instead of focusing what they already have.

It's a shame, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's not about expecting it to fail. It's about understanding that it could.
    You should get life insurance. I mean, it's not about expecting to die. It's that you could.

Or every other insurance for that matter. I mean, they are not guaranteed to happen, but it could happen, so i mean, better safe than sorry, right.

My gripe with this line of thinking, is that it puts the one proposing this, in very odd and stupid situations.

Deleted
    I do have Life Insurance.
    And do you have insurance for everything else? Exactly, Where does the line of consistency cease to be a thing? I'm curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont get your reasoning pvp. Having a prenup doesnt stop people from trying to work on their relationship :s If anything, you're now saving it for emotional reaosns rathe rthan "I dont really wanna lose my stuff that weve gottent ogether" reasons.

anyways insurance is a good idea, and is typically mandated in rentals or if you live in a high risk area. Flood, tornado, life...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Are you a man or woman? I've always wondered.
    My gender doesn't affect how I view the world. I value justice, integrity and commitment.

Pretty much, yes. I even have pet insurance.
    And so you should... You shouldn't skimp on treatment for creatures that you opt to look after... I pay a fucking fortune in Pet insurance a month, but I know that if there was anything at all wrong with my boys, they would get the best treatment immediately.

7+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I had a pretty fancy wedding for 200 guests and it only cost us 26k. I just don't see what else we could have added to warrant a 100k price tag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because life and marriage isn't a Disney movie.
    It wouldn't shock me if those who sign prenups have a much higher rate of divorce than those that don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about expecting it to fail. It's about understanding that it could.
    Failure doesnt always happen, but its always smart to consider it a possibility and prepare for it. Its better than not doing so and if it does happen, you end up worse off
    I think it is much better to be sure, before doing something, that you are doing it right. If you are going to plan for every possibility of failure, then you are going to do it 24/7, never even getting to having considered 0.000001% of all potential failures.

If you've chosen your partner well, if you know that this is what you want with absolute certainty - then the probability of failure is minuscule. And if you are getting into a marriage consciously thinking that it may fail, then, I think, you are doing something wrong...

I mean, sure, if you want to do prenup, go for it, nothing wrong with it. It is when you say that doing it is the only right way to have marriage, that it starts sounding a bit paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    Pre-nup or not she will take 1/2 from you anyhow and any kids. So don't get married unless you want to be with her till death.
    Yep. If you're not really committed and ready then you shouldn't be getting married. If you do and it doesn't turn out well then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think it is much better to be sure, before doing something, that you are doing it right. If you are going to plan for every possibility of failure, then you are going to do it 24/7, never even getting to having considered 0.000001% of all potential failures.

If you've chosen your partner well, if you know that this is what you want with absolute certainty - then the probability of failure is minuscule. And if you are getting into a marriage consciously thinking that it may fail, then, I think, you are doing something wrong...

I mean, sure, if you want to do prenup, go for it, nothing wrong with it. It is when you say that doing it is the only right way to have marriage, that it starts sounding a bit paranoid.
    People change all the time for various reasons. Also, as someone who did theater, people can be damned good actors and hide their true motivations

When you have a lot of money, it's better to plan ahead than to just wing it. If people dont wanna have a prenupl, thats fine too. Thats just somehting I myself wouldnt do, because of my situation.

My wedding was around 20k total for 150 people and I only spent around 8k myself...we also got 15k in money as gifts. So it turned out pretty good overall

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoloboy View Post
    This is a indirect result of the female entitlement issue thats been plagueing our society for the past decade.
    Not every female thinks that way though. This is why you have to be very selective and cautious when choosing your woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    People change all the time for various reasons. Also, as someone who did theater, people can be damned good actors and hide their true motivations

When you have a lot of money, it's better to plan ahead than to just wing it. If people dont wanna have a prenupl, thats fine too. Thats just somehting I myself wouldnt do, because of my situation.
    I guess my perspective differs from that of many folks, since I come originally from a country in which divorces are very-very uncommon, and typically, in case of divorce, people just part ways, with no child support payment, no property disputes, etc. I just wasn't raised to see marriage as something akin to a contract, more like a life commitment which you don't quit just like that, until you absolutely have to.

I know very few people who have gone through divorce, and I don't think I know any at all who have gone through divorce not on friendly terms. Sure, it happens; but I would trust my partner to be above that, above using the painful break-up for their own advantage. A partner which I would expect to act differently, wouldn't be my partner.

I don't mind prenup, but that definitely wouldn't be something I would initiate.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Yes, exactly. I got it awhile ago when we decided to purchase an English Bulldog. I know they are prone to health issues and I didn't want to ever say I couldn't afford treatments for her, should she need it (she did). When she died and we got a pug, I did the same thing and now have it for all 3 of my pets.
    Good move! A guy I work with has his French Bulldogs under the care of the Supervet guy (https://www.thesupervet.com/) and even with top flight insurance, he's stil paid out over 20k in bills as one developed benign tumours that need constant care..
    I have my 2 Norweigan Forest cats, Maine Coon and feisty little Feral covered, and its about £150 a month, but I'd feel fucking terrible not having the insurance and potentially not able to give them the best care available...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Who cares, life ends after marriage anyways :P
    Life must suck when you have such a view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Awkward in what way? I'm genuinely curious? Why did you go for it if it was going to turn out that way?
    My family and my ex-wifes family are worlds apart. They were big bible thumpers who originally demanded I change religions to even marry my ex-wife. During the reception it was like a thousand eyes upon me because I told them I'm not following their ideology because I found it to be a load of rubbish.

Deleted
    I bloody hope not! ill never get married in this case lol .

Truly insane that some people would spend 90k on a wedding instead of perhaps a down payment on a home and/or setting up their kids for college.

If I get married I will tell my wife that it's a small family affair or something at city hall. Fuck big weddings.