1440p, DVI vs. DisplayPort vs. HDMI

Getting too overwhelmed with articles and reports, just looking for insight on which is most optimal for my setup at 1440p. Looking to purchase a QNIX 27" 2560x1440 that I have read amazing reviews about.

Mind you just talking WoW on Ultra settings here.

I've read that DisplayPort seems to conquer all, and that the BEST results come from using two DisplayPort cables from the monitor to the two Displayports on the GPU, but the QNIX monitor I have circled in the comparison picture only has 1 DisplayPort.

- Is using one Displayport not good enough?
    - And if not, how would this work? Is there an adapter I can buy to connect the 1 cable from the monitor, and plug two DisplayPort cables in the 2 DisplayPorts on the GPU? Does that still just technically count as one cable? The tech is lost on me.

Or am I in the dark and are there better options?

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6gb, HDMI x2, DisplayPort x2, DVI x1
    Asus z170p
    Intel i5 6600k
    Cryorig H7
    Geil Potenza 16gb
    Seasonic M12 620W
    Last edited by Auberdeen; 2016-08-28 at 11:25 PM.

why do you need 2x DP ?

my XB271HU does 1440p@165Hz just fine on one DP 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Care to link the article that says 2 display ports are better than one for a single monitor?
    somewhere on toms hardware or reddit ill post if i can find again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    why do you need 2x DP ?

my XB271HU does 1440p@165Hz just fine on one DP 1.2
    what should i be looking at in terms of acceptable Hz?

you only need 1 DP and it is the best connection to use. 60hz panel is fine as wow get no benefit from 120 - 144 hz panels, going above 60 FPS in anything other than twitchy shooters is kindof pointless.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly off topic but could a DP cable achieve 1440p 60hz over a 10 meter cable? Getting mixed messages during my research

Deleted
    You want to use DVI-D or HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Would take a very high quality cable indeed. I don't think it's possible. You'll likely just end up with static on the monitor.
    What about hdmi 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    what should i be looking at in terms of acceptable Hz?
    While it's a distinguishable difference between 144Hz and 60Hz, former are somewhat important for (multiplayer) FPS and such. Higher is better, ofc.

get the DVI single input only version of the qnix evolution ii if you wanna be able to overclock it above 80hz, the multi input versions simply do not go above 80, if they even go above 60 at all.

also are those canadian dollars because those prices seem high..
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-08-29 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    get the DVI single input only version of the qnix evolution ii if you wanna be able to overclock it above 80hz, the multi input versions simply do not go above 80, if they even go above 60 at all.

also are those canadian dollars because those prices seem high..
    I read that somewhere but this review is from Newegg of the one I circled which had hdmi dvi and dp... so im confused. i'll check out the dvi single one though

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    I read that somewhere but this review is from Newegg of the one I circled which had hdmi dvi and dp... so im confused. i'll check out the dvi single one though
    Overclocking is always basically playing the lottery. Sometimes you get lucky and get a golden ticket, sometimes you just get what you paid for and nothing more.

It's probable that the single input and dual input versions use different electronics boards and that might account for the differences in overclocking potential, but AFAIK there's nothing inherent to having multiple DP inputs that is going to limit the overclocking.

I wonder if you didn't get the dual link DVI confused with the dual DP inputs, I've never heard of nor know of any reason why running two DP cables to a monitor from a single card would accomplish anything.

There are some monitors that are basically multiple panels that sell to people doing stuff like stock trading, where they often have arrays of 4-6 monitors, but those are a totally different beastie.

yeah the multi input vs dvi only have completely different boards inside. it is possibly someone managed to get 96 on a multi but majority of people could never get it above 80, if 60 at all.

the dvi only is more likely to OC because of the board used, i haven't seen many people that can't get 96hz, and there are a few that get 120.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/o...p-monitor-club

have a read through this thread, maybe try searching for multi - but the faq at the beginning has a little info about why the multi is a bad choice if you wanna OC.

i mean, it is a nice monitor even at 60 if you do want the multi input, but for $240 i think there are better 1440p 60hz options now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    I wonder if you didn't get the dual link DVI confused with the dual DP inputs, I've never heard of nor know of any reason why running two DP cables to a monitor from a single card would accomplish anything.
    Required for 5K in a lot of cases (DP 1.4 may overcome this, not sure) - but previous to that, if you wanted to run a 5K display, you needed to use two DP cables. Its also the reason you cant use the current 5K iMac in Target Display Mode (which is too bad, since the panel used in that machine is amazing .... and the two standalone monitors that use it actually cost MORE than the 5K iMac).