Deleted

Is the Warchief of the Horde position like Defense against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts?

For those who don't know, in the Harry Potter books the Defense against the Dark Arts teacher was replaced every book because something always happened to them - death or other bad things. It kinda became like a running gag.

Kinda feels like the warchief position is like that now.

Since Cataclysm we had 4 different warchiefs in 4 expansions. Thrall gave up the warchief position at the beginning of Cataclysm to Garrosh, Garrosh was warchief for Cataclysm and throughout MoP, was disposed of in MoP and replaced by Vol'jin at the end of MoP. Vol'jin did nothing throughout WoD and died like a little bitch at the end of WoD, to be replaced by Sylvanas in Legion.

Is there gonna be a new warchief every expansion now?

Come to think of it, the warchief position has always switched a lot. Blackhand was the warchief for WC1, to be replaced by Doomhammer in WC2 and by Ner'zhul in Beyond the Dark Portal. Then Thrall became the new warchief in WC3.

Maybe they just have different ideas of term limits.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Meridas View Post
    For those who don't know, in the Harry Potter books the Defense against the Dark Arts teacher was replaced every book because something always happened to them - death or other bad things. It kinda became like a running gag.
    It wasn't a gag... it was a legit thing. Tom Riddle applied for the position and was denied, so when he turned overtly evil he used an elaborate curse to make it so the position could only be held by any person for no more than one year.

OT: Does seem like we're just grinding through warchiefs, eh? That's the nature of a warlike society - you are only in power until someone superior comes along.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    They never really had much by way of job security in that gig. Blackhand got merked after a couple years, Doomhammer got the Horde put in labor camps, Thrall faffed off to do his own thing, Garrosh got deposed by the entire rest of the world, Vol'jin got merked after a couple years. Sylvanas might actually hold the reins for a long time, long enough to contend with Thrall's reign if she's smart about it, depending on how her character development in Legion goes.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I have the feeling Sylvannas won't be warchief for long.

But after building up Vol'jin to be the next warchief in Mop and killing him after doing absolutely nothing significant in Wod everything could happen.

She could even team up with Jaina in defeating a powerful demon and join her sister in the army of the light after coming back to life the same way Illidan becomes the Champion of the light. They could even bring a redeemed Arthas back to life to make the team complete......... or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    It wasn't a gag... it was a legit thing. Tom Riddle applied for the position and was denied, so when he turned overtly evil he used an elaborate curse to make it so the position could only be held by any person for no more than one year.

OT: Does seem like we're just grinding through warchiefs, eh? That's the nature of a warlike society - you are only in power until someone superior comes along.
    is that anywhere in the books? I never read anything about that

it was still a running gag though
    in the sixth book they joked about how they would now be rid of snape at the end of the year and throughout the books the defense against the dark arts teachers were usually kooks

is that anywhere in the books? I never read anything about that

it was still a running gag though
    in the sixth book they joked about how they would now be rid of snape at the end of the year and throughout the books the defense against the dark arts teachers were usually kooks
    In the sixth book Dumbledore says " You see, we have not been able to keep a Defence Against the Dark Arts professor for more than a year since I refused the post to Lord Voldemort." indicating the curse and after Deathly Hollows, J.K. Rowling confirmed it by said the jinx/curse was broken after Voldemort died.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    In the sixth book Dumbledore says " You see, we have not been able to keep a Defence Against the Dark Arts professor for more than a year since I refused the post to Lord Voldemort." indicating the curse and after Deathly Hollows, J.K. Rowling confirmed it by said the jinx/curse was broken after Voldemort died.
    Hmm, that's a hint I guess, never thought about it that way. But it's not an outright confirmation.

It also doesn't really make sense for most teachers to have been cursed by Voldemort, like Quirrell, Barty Crouch, Umbridge or Snape, as they either outright worked for him or helped him in some way. So I see it more as a running gag.

I think it has more to do with hardly anyone giving a shit about Vol'jin or trolls in general. Some players do, but their numbers are tiny compared to how many fans Sylvanas has. I guarantee you there was a conversation in Blizzard HQ that played out like that.

Hmm, that's a hint I guess, never thought about it that way. But it's not an outright confirmation.

It also doesn't really make sense for most teachers to have been cursed by Voldemort, like Quirrell, Barty Crouch, Umbridge or Snape, as they either outright worked for him or helped him in some way. So I see it more as a running gag.
    I mean... JK Rowling herself has confirmed it was a curse on the position. That's as outright confirmation as it comes. He also didn't curse the teachers but the role. Also, he never cared what happened to his followers, only that they got the job done. Which most of them did. Then there's the fact that Snape wasn't really his servent, and Umbridge, at the time, was denying his existence.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account

Kinda feels like the warchief position is like that now.

Since Cataclysm we had 4 different warchiefs in 4 expansions. Thrall gave up the warchief position at the beginning of Cataclysm to Garrosh, Garrosh was warchief for Cataclysm and throughout MoP, was disposed of in MoP and replaced by Vol'jin at the end of MoP. Vol'jin did nothing throughout WoD and died like a little bitch at the end of WoD, to be replaced by Sylvanas in Legion.

Is there gonna be a new warchief every expansion now?

Come to think of it, the warchief position has always switched a lot. Blackhand was the warchief for WC1, to be replaced by Doomhammer in WC2 and by Ner'zhul in Beyond the Dark Portal. Then Thrall became the new warchief in WC3.
    Leadership isn't always safe, you know. I mean, Stormwind was once ruled by a little kid and her dragon advisor (though, giving bad advice)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I mean... JK Rowling herself has confirmed it was a curse on the position. That's as outright confirmation as it comes. He also didn't curse the teachers but the role. Also, he never cared what happened to his followers, only that they got the job done. Which most of them did. Then there's the fact that Snape wasn't really his servent, and Umbridge, at the time, was denying his existence.
    JK Rowling also said Dumbledore is gay even though there was no indication in the books whatsoever nor did it matter. If it was the case then she did a poor job. Again I have to ask why Voldemort would curse especially Quirrell if he served as his host. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't see how you can "curse a role". Even accepting that things like curses are real, it seems silly to assume that a role can be cursed.

JK Rowling also said Dumbledore is gay even though there was no indication in the books whatsoever nor did it matter. If it was the case then she did a poor job. Again I have to ask why Voldemort would curse especially Quirrell if he served as his host. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't see how you can "curse a role". Even accepting that things like curses are real, it seems silly to assume that a role can be cursed.
    ... The books explain pretty clearly that concepts can be cursed. Such as a taboo, which is a cursed word. You say that word, and it breaks all enchantments and reveals your location to those who cursed the word. I mean, this is magic we're talking about, being able to curse a role isn't that farfetched, especially when you consider all it did was stop them having the role. The only one who died after all was quirrel, and that was because he touched harry.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    ... The books explain pretty clearly that concepts can be cursed. Such as a taboo, which is a cursed word. You say that word, and it breaks all enchantments and reveals your location to those who cursed the word. I mean, this is magic we're talking about, being able to curse a role isn't that farfetched, especially when you consider all it did was stop them having the role. The only one who died after all was quirrel, and that was because he touched harry.
    Saying a word and a role are different things though. I mean that's how spells work, you say a word, you summon something. So I can see a word being cursed and having a certain effect. A role being cursed is just weird though.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Dumbledore was gay for Grindlewald while reading Deathly Hallows.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is no longer WoW related, and hasn't been for a while, if you wanna continue, you're very welcome to make a thread in the books/tv/music section!
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)