Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The problems we have had with the ECHR and those we have had with the EU are separate issues.

And that whole 'Independence Day' thing is far too cheesy. Stop with that silliness.
    Well maybe, but one would not exist without the other.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post
    The Human Rights act is an abomination, used and abused for today's criminals.

Nigerian who rapes a 14yo girl on the train -oh he can stay because (1) he owns a pet cat == he has a life in the UK and (2) get this, turns out he's told his lawyers he's gay -so can't be deported either. I'm summarising but it's a real case and a god damned example of what the Human Rights has become.

I am sure that Human Rights was a noble idea and has served many great purposed, but it is abused and acts as a gravy train for Human Rights lawyers looking for big money defending scum.

So glad we are getting rid of it!
    "I read a Daily Mail article about something that was heavily distorted. This is my only contact with reallity and I believe stories like this are representative of how hundreds of thousands people may be affected by the act"

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    All kidding aside, what is the point of a democracy were you can't vote on anything of consequence?
    The problem with the so-called "direct democracy" (referendums) is that it is almost impossible to reduce complex interdependent political questions down to a single yes/no-question everyone can understand. And even when it is possible there is the problem of whom to trust to word and later interpret those questions (just look at surveys and the effect the exact wording of questions has on the outcome). Do you elect that person? If yes why not just elect someone to represent you in general?

And then there is the other problem--the one people form the UK do not even see, because they have a two party system and no sense of political teamwork and consensus--: the excessive polarisation of the population over how to approach the matter at hand.

A referendum really is just an illusion of democracy in most cases, because the people do not really get to rule with them, the people get to fight among themselves and in the end someone who wasn't even elected for it gets to spin their story of what the outcome was supposed to mean.

- - - Updated - - -

The problems we have had with the ECHR and those we have had with the EU are separate issues.

And that whole 'Independence Day' thing is far too cheesy. Stop with that silliness.
    But he is such a fan of that movie he is looking forward to make it come true.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-08-29 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Not really, perhaps it could be argued the EU would not exist without the Council of Europe, but not the other way around.

Is that why they have all the same member states?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    "I read a Daily Mail article about something that was heavily distorted. This is my only contact with reallity and I believe stories like this are representative of how hundreds of thousands people may be affected by the act"
    This guy voted.
    This is how Brexit managed to get through.

Deleted
    Um did you miss something, British Independence Day was June 23rd, it is not a European country anymore. 17 million dumb people you say? Wow you must be a clever one.

The vote was about removing as many bad European rules and regulations from British life as possible.
    Leaving Europe will not affect the HRA - The European Convention on Human Rights is much larger than the EU, and is not controlled by the European Union (but by the Council).

Then they're telling you it's the uneducated who voted Brexit and people still complain

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't this be held off a bit until like after the next general election? :s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    This guy voted.
    This is how Brexit managed to get through.
    Unfortunately this is how everything gets rubber-stamped by the electorate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Is that why they have all the same member states?
    The ECHR and EU share many of the same historical founding fathers, is based geographically in the same city as one of the two capitals of Europe (coincidence? yeah right), share the same lawyers and is two heads of the exact same beast Brexit was designed to slay. To say otherwise is just semantics.

Brexit won, how can people forget? Both the EU and ECHR no longer have jurisdiction over the UK. The replacement of the Human Rights act with a British Bill of Rights clearly demonstrates this.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Shouldn't this be held off a bit until like after the next general election? :s
    It was one of the pledges in their 2015 election manifesto, pages 58-60.

Incidentally, Abu Qatada and Abu Hamza get a shout out on page 61. Ooh Abu Qatada.

15+ Year Old Account
    It may not be in British interests to make that transition orderly. For now the EU position is no discussion before Article 50 is served. The British position is no Article 50 before discussions. So far this stalemate holds but for sure the EU has been warned this cannot go on forever. Once EU citizens have been given the chance to stock up on basic provisions of water and food as advised by Merkel just a couple of days ago, EU inspectors have gone house to house to check people have complied with these legal requirements, Britain can and will just leave the next day, along with its 400 million a week charity donation to Brussels.

Britain is prepared to give the EU some time to cope with our departure, but the goodwill is not going to last forever.
    I´m sorry, but i have to quote this, this is just golden.

How does one come up with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ECHR and EU share many of the same historical founding fathers, is based geographically in the same city as one of the two capitals of Europe (coincidence? yeah right), share the same lawyers and is two heads of the exact same beast Brexit was designed to slay. To say otherwise is just semantics.

Brexit won, how can people forget? Both the EU and ECHR no longer have jurisdiction over the UK. The replacement of the Human Rights act with a British Bill of Rights clearly demonstrates this.
    The Tories already had a mandate to replace the HRA with a Bill of Rights, no Brexit required.

this is the dumbest pile of feces i have ever seen. if i recall correctly someone said how majority of the voters would die by friday or what ever. as if their old age takes away from their right to vote, they've lived long enough to see the damage that the eu has done. can't believe some of these gimpy 17 year olds can chat so much shit about their elders, it's absolutely insane.

Deleted
    The Tories already had a mandate to replace the HRA with a Bill of Rights, no Brexit required.
    The right generally conflates a range of issues into an amorphous blob of things they don't like. So, "political correctness", europe, health & safety, human rights etc all become part of the same thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I´m sorry, but i have to quote this, this is just golden.

How does one come up with this?
    One just has to quote the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The right generally conflates a range of issues into an amorphous blob of things they don't like. So, "political correctness", europe, health & safety, human rights etc all become part of the same thing.
    And the left are actively trying to bring about the destruction of Britain, like to give everybody free shit with no means to pay for it and hate Jews.

Hey ho, we can all spout inane crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    One thing I've disliked about remainers is their rancid elitism and general anti-democratic attitude. For the most part Britain seems fine, the world did not end. I would say if people are not allowed to make decisions politically that have any gravity to them, then why even have votes? Why not say put, idk a sole leader in charge? And for security make that position hereditary so generation to generation each leader will be sort of like their ancestors? Yeah, and give them absolute power.

All kidding aside, what is the point of a democracy were you can't vote on anything of consequence?

Your sig quote says "21st Century Thinking: "Politicians will solve our problems!"" But it was the political class that wanted to stay in the EU, it was those unwashed masses elsewhere that wanted out.
    Britain seems fine for the most part because nothing apart from the vote has happened. They are still a full member of the EU. They still have access to the single market and apart from their currency being worth 10% less we have nothing but indications about what might happen. It´s just too early.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I am extremely concerned about a government that has not even been elected making changes to human rights laws (or any laws for that matter), especially a TORY government.

We already know Theresa May is a lying, conniving bitch. Why she is even allowed to make any alterations before an election is held is beyond me... if it were up to me she'd have been banned from government for the last report she falsified.
    Please do explain how it was not elected?

Deleted
    People blindly supporting the EU human rights act makes me laugh really. It is in need of reform, it is often unjust and many people are fed up with it. However, I would say that as with all things, there are many good elements within it, which I perhaps naively hope will remain in the British Bill of Rights.