Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    This is just blatant scaremongering.
    The Blizzard network can handle something, it would have to be a ddos of massive proportions to disrupt anything, and even then the traffic scrubbing tech nowadays can route off most of it, plus they can route through akamai or radware for example if need be. If ISP's are on the ball most of the packets won't even reach the Blizzard network.

All will be fine.
    If half a dozen kids with a botnet were able to take down PSN and xbox live for days, then a hundred or more determined overwatch cheaters with botnets can all but incinerate blizzard's network infrastructure.

I don't condone it, I'm just saying, don't expect this to work in the first couple of weeks at all.

But here's still hoping that these kids either don't follow through or that blizz finds a way to mitigate it.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Launch this time around is more organized and advanced in a sense. Only issue is the inevitable DDoS that they will probably deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    DDOS from LizardSquad or some shit, queues, some bottleneck they still somehow missed, some broken quest with mechanics that can crash the server

The usual.

Do yourself a favor and stay in bed, and you'll have a better time after work/school/whatever

That ddos was a test run most likely.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone gets to play within the first week at all.
    Lol.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-29 at 05:09 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    If half a dozen kids with a botnet were able to take down PSN and xbox live for days, then a hundred or more determined overwatch cheaters with botnets can all but incinerate blizzard's network infrastructure.

I don't condone it, I'm just saying, don't expect this to work in the first couple of weeks at all.

But here's still hoping that these kids either don't follow through or that blizz finds a way to mitigate it.

If PSN and Xbox went down from a small-scale attack, they did something wrong clearly.
    If you do things right nowadays you get a seperate scrubbing station before your actual network, one that can handle/filter large amounts of packets and drop the bogus ones, only routing through the legit packets. You can even let a service like Akamai do that for you (they handle several terabytes of Youtube data every minute for example).
    I am quite certain Blizzard has taken precautions.

Also, saying a ddos is going to last for a week shows you know nothing on the subject at all, so stop scaring people.
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2016-08-29 at 05:13 AM.

Well, I'm definetely going to try.

If it is unplayable, I'll just go to bed and get some sleep, hoping to get better luck next day

I'm very the Legion launch will be a disaster of epic proportions, buy I am also confident they will fix it very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I've been having Blizzard problems for the past week or so, I'm not having much confidence the launch will be smooth, plus it would be their first.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get DDOSd since that's what the "cool kids" do now a days with the release of anything.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

I play on Stormage. If I'm able to get into the game within 24 hours of launch I'll be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    I play on Stormage. If I'm able to get into the game within 24 hours of launch I'll be impressed.
    log on right now and you should be gucci as long as you dont log off.

I always wonder where such numbers are coming from. So instead of just putting out 35€ for a new game there are 100+ people who commit a felony and pay way more and rent a botnet just to fuck with Blizzard?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll be asleep...

With the way the servers have been getting DDOS'd recently, if I were a betting man I'd wager that there's a high chance they'll get some fuckboi packet traffic.

Hope not though.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

I am predicting dos attacks at the start, though I'll be at work so they'll be fix by the time I can play :3

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Don't zones scale now? There shouldn't be any bottleneck. I'm moreso worried about DDOS
    Of course there will be, at some point early in the story everybody and their mother has to go to Dalaran, the servers will crash. Plain and simple...

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure some kiddies will try to ruin everyone's day by DDOSing the servers...

That ddos was a test run most likely.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone gets to play within the first week at all.
    I think that's a vast overstatement. WoD is infamous for it's terrible launch, and yet I had no issues at all. I was able to play consistently from the minute the servers went live and the only "issue" I had was my usually low pop server having a queue a couple of times.

ETA I will admit, I had to mostly forget leveling my main (horde) for an alliance alt for a couple of days. It really didn't make much difference though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Servers can be also rented so it's not a problem. The issue here is expanding the bandwidth & applying security protocols on all of them.

Besides security protocols, i dont think it is as simple as just renting them. We are not talking about some indie dev who is just happy his game is online

Deleted
    There will be problems for the first few days like always. I can't remember any WoW expansion launch going perfectly smoothly.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Has Blizzard ever once had a successful launch?
    Cata, MoP, WoD, I played from open for about 12-16hrs straight and didn't crash or D/C. So those 3 have been successful for me