Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This is part of the trend of trying to keep kids in a bubble where they don't hear anything negative about themselves.

When I was in high school I remember they taught us that there is positive and negative stress. Positive stress helps you accomplish goals while negative stress burdens you for reasons outside of your control. I doubt they still teach things like this.

Faux outrage, splendid.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics advised its members and parents to focus on encouraging healthy behaviours to help teens avoid obesity and eating disorders."

"Parents and doctors should not encourage dieting.
    Avoid "weight talk," such commenting on their own weight or their child's weight."

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! Do you tell them to put down the triple cheeseburger or not?

"Parents should help their children develop a healthy body image by encouraging them to eat a balanced diet and exercise for fitness rather than weight loss."

So yes, change your diet, but no, don't diet. Got it.

(Though I suppose the distinction between being fit and simply being skinny is important. Muscles have weight too. I'm scrawny but I'm still pretty darn unhealthy.)
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-08-29 at 05:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

These kids are overweight because their parents an overweight and feed them cra...p. All blame lies with parents who shouldn't be breeding.

Let's be honest - teens are very insecure. I was, I admit it. Then again, this being MMOC, most will claim to have always been confident since birth and totally flawless. Anyway.... Most normal teens need guidance from their parents. Humans are shallow and have always been and it's difficult to be a teenager.

So they are saying to the parents to avoid talking about dieting and weight right in front of their children, as they may develop an unhealthy body image. They don't want a mom to go "oh my, I need a 500 calorie diet for the next week now!" or "I really need to lose these 5 kgs because I'm a fat shit now" right in front of the children. The better option is to rather say "Ok, child, maybe we should reduce Coka Cola intake to only saturdays and rather walk to the store".

This isn't big buisness and McDonald's secretly planning on stopping people from working out, but pediatricians that want parents to be healthier role models and have their children develop healthy eating- and exercising habits.

Or maybe they are behind it, to make Tennisace live in a nightmare.

Chatting with a classmate on MSN (god, I feel old) and it went something like this:
    "I put a toothbrush in my throat"
    "But why?"
    "To vomit"
    "But why?!"
    "Because I ate chips"
    "??"
    "I don't want to get fat "

If her parents could've taught her that it's ok to eat chips, but not in excessive amounts and every day, she might not have done it. She was insane though, she wouldn't let me drink of her water bottle because I had eaten something with sugar and that way she could've had sugar entering her system and she was jogging while standing. What happens if she has a child? That's worrying.

Then on the other side, there's my mother who drinks Diet Pepsi and eat cheesedoodles for breakfast 3 PM, and dinners consist of lots of meat with melted butter, so I didn't have the best role model either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah, I mean, why listen to the pediatricians about what's best for kids when your gut says otherwise?
    All they said was you should always try positive reinforcement first. Which is probably true but sometimes you need to give people shit in order for them to do things.

- - - Updated - - -

When you make fun of someone's weight either:

A. They don't care
    B. They care and do nothing
    C. They care and do something

10+ Year Old Account
    OH MY LORD! WE ARE OUTRAGED! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

There, is that what you were looking for here Tennisace? Can we be done with this now?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

just dont eat american fast food. it will make the best genes obsolote. i was very confused when i found out that most american households done even have a decent kitchen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesit...tric-1.3734769

Can you believe this nonsense?
    Tip toe around the issue with your round kids while they get bullied at school for their large mass?
    Recipe for failure. We need to be tough.
    why dont you spend some time in the netherlands then ?
    dutch are very healthy

CBC news, making US news look good.

Both positive reinforcements and negative reinforcements have an effect on human behavior.

They are right when they say that the behavior (i.e. the unhealthy lifestyle) is the core problem. The weight is a consequence of that, and obesity certainly is a problem as well but it's "missing the mark" to focus on weight.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I'm happy both my parents were athletes when they were younger and always gave me healthy food and teached me a healthy lifestyle since I was a child. They don't smoke they don't drink, and that's the way I will try to raise my children 1 day. A diet can help you lose weight in short time spans, but if you really want to change your body for a long period of time you will have to change your lifestyle, that involves moving more and not eating like a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yes and sometimes those somethings are falling into depression, developing eating disorders, etc. That's the entire point, and those things are far more common among teenagers.
    Really? Eating disorders and depression are common than simply being lazy and unmotivated? That is news to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no! Tenn has been bannassinated

Deleted
    fatness is something brought to you from liberals and individualists , target down the source of the problem
    Last edited by mmoce4779ff20e; 2016-08-29 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I am disappointed Genn, I was hoping I would need a microscope to read that map.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    not once a true conservative party condemn death penalty to homosexuality

10+ Year Old Account
    The goal is to overall be healthy. not obsess over weight loss. Positive reinforcement works best and no amount of personal anecdotes of tough love will change the psychology behind that. Trying to get kids to enjoy eating healthy food and enjoying exercise can go a long way. Telling them that they're fat and forcing them to run on a treadmill till they pass out and eating kale salads isn't going to do anything but make them hate fitness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I am disappointed Genn, I was hoping I would need a microscope to read that map.
    Forgive me, I am on my phone