Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    But there is no 'justification' it's you freely admitting that the Europeans cant make anything better that Warcraft so you are compelled to shit all over your anti-american hatred and buy American, its hypocrisy. Admit your hatred and hypocrisy it and just move along.
    "Better" and commercially successful are not the same thing. Wow took advantage of fluking out an early lead the way services like youtube and facebook did-everyone goes to the most popular nightclub, not the best one. There were alternatives which were superior to all these businesses, but critical mass is everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I'd go along with that. Most UK citizens see themselves as at least as if not more interconnected with US culture than europe. Affection for the US was a major part of the motivations behind the Brexit campaign.

That said, I'm very curious (before this descends into another series of predictable flames no one will read) as to why the US has never developed its own fantasy mythos from very promising beginnings. The "Wizard Of Oz" was actually published before LOTR and there was a time when US fantasy culture could hold its own with Europe.

Nowadays the fantasy genre is dominated by medieval euro-fantasy and, increasingly, asian fantasy. What happened to US culturally-based fantasy?
    Does Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire count as US culturally-based fantasy? I mean George R. R. Martin is an American author right?

Or does it have to take place in a fictional version of the US to count as 'US culturally-based'?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Deleted
    But there is no 'justification' it's you freely admitting that the Europeans cant make anything better that Warcraft so you are compelled to shit all over your anti-american hatred and buy American, its hypocrisy. Admit your hatred and hypocrisy it and just move along.
    It doesn't matter whether or not we can make "better" things. If America has something we like, and it happens to be European at its core, we should get hold of it.

I wish Blizzard would relocate permanently to Europe, though... but we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    ?

In a way, it did.
    No, it didn't, those that left left of their own volition, Europe shook nothing off

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Yadda. Yadda.
    Really? Its not your intention? Well you do a damn crappy job avoiding it... Almost like if your goal was the bloody opposite with your hostile little undertones you "spice" your posts with now and again. Just look at your bloody signature...

Whats up with all the racist or semi-racist, nationalists from Denmark recently? That's like the third one this week and im not even that frequent of a guest here. Kind of new to me that this is a thing... But then again i didn't expect the Netherlands to accept a guy as a candidate that plans to ban an entire religion because they are afraid of "different".

edit: For christs sake, i mean look at it. This thread goes the same way than your last one...
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2016-08-29 at 03:38 PM.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter whether or not we can make "better" things. If America has something we like, and it happens to be European at its core, we should get hold of it.

You could always buy the company and move them, but I cant envision that Blizzard would relocate to mainland Europe in your lifetime.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Really? Its not your intention? Well you do a damn crappy job avoiding it... Almost like if your goal was the bloody opposite with your hostile little undertones on every sentence. Just look at your bloody signature...

Whats up with all the racist or semi-racist, nationalists from Denmark recently? Kind of new to me that this is a thing... But then again i didn't expect the Netherlands to accept a guy as a candidate that plans to ban an entire religion because they are afraid of "different".
    It isn't my fault that Americans are so sensitive. Just because someone praises Europe and says good things about it doesn't mean he intends for Americans to jump in and rage.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always buy the company and move them, but I cant envision that Blizzard would relocate to mainland Europe in your lifetime.
    If I had the power in a European government, I'd ask them to relocate and pay very low taxes (forever) and have no minimum wage laws applied to them for the next 10 years.

Not really. America has its own rich fantasy culture. The Wizard of Oz couldn't have been written by a european or any one of another nationality.
    Hahahaha!!! The Wizard of Oz was written by Lyman Frank Baum any more german (maybe except Lyman) would only be if he was named Hans Baum. XD

Specifically English.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck do you be a Hardcore European??

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had the power in a European government, I'd ask them to relocate and pay very low taxes (forever) and have no minimum wage laws applied to them for the next 10 years.
    Wait, you'd break the laws to entice a US company to leave and come to Europe? How would that work with your fellow Europeans to show favoritism to a US company?

Nowadays the fantasy genre is dominated by medieval euro-fantasy and, increasingly, asian fantasy. What happened to US culturally-based fantasy?
    Fantasy is generally done in the past (at least technology wise) so that melee weapons are actually a thing that works. Due to the US starting AFTER the medieval era we could only really use native american folklore for that kind of stuff for it to fall under "US based fantasy". However that doesn't really fit, since that would still be exotic to most people living here.

Deleted
    warcraft isnt "european", its fantasy based on our history. I wouldnt call every fantasy franchise european just because many fantasies have medievalish elements in them because the roots of fantasy are childrens stories that glorify the middle ages and made kids love swords and castles and stuff. The music is also part of this fantasy world created by blizzard.

Warcraft is american because the writers are american. The influence of other fantasies by other writers who were influenced by stories about the Middle ages in europe dont change this.

I also think this thread is clickbait because the way you are wording things will make Americans feel like u are an arrogant EU pleb. Which just makes them think worse of other europeans like me

Deleted
    Wait, you'd break the laws to entice a US company to leave and come to Europe? How would that work with your fellow Europeans to show favoritism to a US company?
    The law would have a little addendum that would allow for this.

They would love me for it. It would symbolize a fresh showboat of European power and influence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Does Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire count as US culturally-based fantasy? I mean George R. R. Martin is an American author right?

Or does it have to take place in a fictional version of the US to count as 'US culturally-based'?

I'm not sure what you mean.
    I've never watched it but what I know of it suggests very strongly that Game of Thrones is based on european fantasy.

By US-based cultural fantasy I don't mean the author is American. There are many popular American fantasy authors.

By US-based cultural fantasy I mean an environment which is more familiar to the American psyche than a european one.

It is not an easy thing to define, but if you read a lot you notice many differences. Firstly, the characters tend to be much more off-the-wall. The plot structures are less coventional. Because American was essentially borne in the modern era primitive technology and post-gunpowder era weaponry is ofen evident. The races/monsters are generally more surreal and come across like benign products of a carnival freakshow. There is a distinctive oratorical style closer to Mark Twain than Nordic/Celtic myth or ancient English literature. European fantasy is almost fairly humourless and often moralistic and allegorical, American fantasy has a very well developed comedic style and there are strong elements of parody and satire.

These elements are completely absent in modern fantasy written by Americans which tend to draw heavily from Tolkien, who himself drew heavily from ancient european mythology.

7+ Year Old Account
    PS. Your anti-American
    anti western*
    he hates everything that isnt slavic or eastern.

Formerly known as Arafal

?

In a way, it did.
    America leaving on its own and then fighting multiple bloody wars to keep it that way is not "being shaken off"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianor View Post
    warcraft isnt "european", its fantasy based on our history. I wouldnt call every fantasy franchise european just because many fantasies have medievalish elements in them because the roots of fantasy are childrens stories that glorify the middle ages and made kids love swords and castles and stuff. The music is also part of this fantasy world created by blizzard.

Warcraft is american because the writers are american. The influence of other fantasies by other writers who were influenced by stories about the Middle ages in europe dont change this.

I also think this thread is clickbait because the way you are wording things will make Americans feel like u are an arrogant EU pleb. Which just makes them think worse of other europeans like me
    Based on what history? It is inspired by European history. Take Europe out of the equation and you have no Warcraft. Take America or any other place and you have it, easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    How the fuck do you be a Hardcore European??
    Coming from a relatively poor country on the outskirts of Europe, that has been war torn and had several genocides in the last two decades, is threatened by islamic parts of its population going more and more mad would help in putting hope and emphasize on the European Idea.

Why do you feed him? Scandinavia is the best europe btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.