Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Someone tell the guys in doubt what is European about the music and architecture here:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    The way you ask is very stupid, and sad as well. What constitutes "European" is the whole, not necessarily only the parts. Are the castles in WoW European just because they are castles? No. They are European because they are designed like castles in Europe, and are put in a story inspired by European royal rivalries... etc.

Really, you must be very blind to not see the European elements.
    You're moving the goalposts, resorting to ad hominem attacks and avoiding the questions. You are intentionally vague as well. You haven't answered my question: What is European style? There ain't one. Even when it comes to real life castles there's no such thing as "European style", but there are different styles of castles depending on the epoc they were built in, by whom and in which country.

Only the Humans build medieval-styled castles. This doesn't make the entire game European. Your logic is absurdly flawed. If there is any logic at work at all.

The music is orchestra music, not inherently European.

as a hardcore European
    So what is a HARDCORE European?

Can I call myself a hardcore American?

I just thought I'd tell you all why I like Warcraft as a hardcore European:

Because the game is European in its core elements, and they are all of quality.

Here, enjoy Medieval European kind of music to get a sense of what I'm talking about:

This is lovely.

Do other Europeans share the sentiment?
    Oh yay. Another anti-american thread by this guy thinly veiled and not /endthreaded.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    The way you avoid the question and cock up your answer with gibberish is quite intellectually dishonest. Why do you chose to be that way?
    Of course. He wants to preach, not discuss.

So, Americans appreciate their part-European ancestry and culture, make a game dedicated to it, and I, a European, shouldn't enjoy it even though I am closer to it than they are?
    As a contiunation of the last thread, for all your U.S. hatred you clearly don't mind supporting U.S companies for our massive propaganda machine. Your justification that this game has ''European elements' is enough reason for you to dodge your own rhetoric is laughable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omfgreally View Post
    So what is a HARDCORE European?

Can I call myself a hardcore American?
    A hardcore european would be a man wearing hooped jersey and Lederhosen whilst riding an moped and drinking a cup of tea.

A hardcore American would be a clinically obese man with a gunshot wound and an inability to understand the concept of irony.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-08-29 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Your logic is absurdly flawed. If there is any logic at work at all.
    There is not much logic to be had with extreme nationalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    WoW was the first MMO.

And invented the fantasy genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Not many people know that Tolkien was born just outside Goldshire, and EverQuest was originally a bugged quest line from Mankirk's wife that required you to go in endless loops up and down the Barrens.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US has a habit of drawing on different elements and giving them an American flavor. In terms of World of Warcraft, there are European fantasy elements, but they are the elements of fantasy as interpreted through things like early RPGs such as Dungeons and Dragons. Those Tauren, they may in some ways remind you of the Minotaur, but Thunder Bluff is pretty clearly American Indian. Night Elves? Asian (with a good chunk of Korean ... go buy food or clothing from their merchants). Before MoP, there were still kegs in the Barrens, belonging to Chen. MoP? Not a European fantasy, but part of WoW.

The argument in the OP, disregarding who posted it, is akin to saying Pizza Hut is European because it serves pizza. Try that the other way around, tell Italians that's pizza.

Given the Great Firewall, I have a rather limited set of reseach tools; however, consider this:

The Brothers Grimm believed that European fairy tales derived from the cultural history shared by all Indo-European peoples and were therefore ancient, far older than written records. This view is supported by research by the anthropologist Jamie Tehrani and the folklorist Sara Graca Da Silva using phylogenetic analysis, a technique developed by evolutionary biologists to trace the relatedness of living and fossil species. Among the tales analysed were Jack and the Beanstalk, traced to the time of splitting of Eastern and Western Indo-European, over 5000 years ago. Both Beauty and the Beast and Rumpelstiltskin appear to have been created some 4000 years ago. The story of The Smith and the Devil (Deal with the Devil) appears to date from the Bronze Age, some 6000 years ago
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_tale

It would seem that tales capture our imagination and keep expanding.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Someone tell the guys in doubt what is European about the music and architecture here:

(
    Sounds Celtic to me. Ireland is in Europe technically, but it is as distinct from it culturally at least as much as the US is.

Deleted
    Nothing there is "European".

Hattusa, the capital of the Hittite Empire, present Turkey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    As a contiunation of the last thread, for all your U.S. hatred you clearly don't mind supporting U.S companies for our massive propaganda machine. Your justification that this game has ''European elements' is enough reason for you to dodge your own rhetoric is laughable.
    Not to mention the fact that the industry that created the game is very American.

Deleted
    You're moving the goalposts, resorting to ad hominem attacks and avoiding the questions. You are intentionally vague as well. You haven't answered my question: What is European style? There ain't one. Even when it comes to real life castles there's no such thing as "European style", but there are different styles of castles depending on the epoc they were built in, by whom and in which country.

Only the Humans build medieval-styled castles. This doesn't make the entire game European. Your logic is absurdly flawed. If there is any logic at work at all.

The music is orchestra music, not inherently European.
    Your question is stupid, and therefore every answer shall be vague. You will never be satisfied with the answer to "what constitutes European" because we both know the line can never be perfectly drawn between European and non-European. If you had a sense of understanding, you'd realize that I made it perfectly clear that "European" is not one element that has no relevance to other cultures, but it is the whole of the sum of its parts that makes it European. As an instance, the Castle in Stormwind is not European because it is a castle. However, it is European because it is accompanied by European architecture, with European music in and around it, European-looking people with European clothes... simple as that.

You are trying to fragment "European" and make me explain why every single element alone is European, while I am trying to tell you why the entirety of the elements in WoW that are European are in fact European.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I agree, D&D is itself based on LoTR and the other books I mentioned... hehe... I also think Metzen actually said that Warcraft was a D&D game at some point that he played with other people at Blizzard.
    There was fantasy before LotR, and it doesn't get enough credit for paving the way for things like LotR.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I agree, D&D is itself based on LoTR and the other books I mentioned... hehe... I also think Metzen actually said that Warcraft was a D&D game at some point that he played with other people at Blizzard.
    Everyone's dad works at Blizzard. :3

I think trying to draw mythological parallels or literary parallels into WoW is giving WoW too much credit. Its the shallowest possible reading. WoW more aptly reads like the works of intrepid D&D players who loved Forgotten Realms, read Tolkien and knew of King Arthur and Greek legends and Norse mythology from second hand sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post

Not to back up the nonsense Mirzkat is coming out with, but the Hittites used some anglocized words-it is possible they may have had european antecedents.

Not to mention the fact that the industry that created the game is very American.
    Exactly. Hes spewing the same anti-american bullshit as he was in the previous thread that was locked because he took it down that route. He moves the goal posts continually to dodge his own rhetoric. Apparently he hates the U.S. so much but doesn't mind paying a subscription for a game made and owned by an American Company. If he hates the U.S. so much he should delete all his toons, uninstall the game and cancel his subscription.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Not to back up the nonsense Mirzkat is coming out with, but the Hittites used some anglocized words-it is possible they may have had european antecedents.
    O_O

Sarcasm or...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your question is stupid, and therefore every answer shall be vague. You will never be satisfied with the answer to "what constitutes European" because we both know the line can never be perfectly drawn between European and non-European. If you had a sense of understanding, you'd realize that I made it perfectly clear that "European" is not one element that has no relevance to other cultures, but it is the whole of the sum of its parts that makes it European. As an instance, the Castle in Stormwind is not European because it is a castle. However, it is European because it is accompanied by European architecture, with European music in and around it, European-looking people with European clothes... simple as that.

You are trying to fragment "European" and make me explain why every single element alone is European, while I am trying to tell you why the entirety of the elements in WoW that are European are in fact European.
    your moving the goalposts and refusing to back your claims up is what is 'stupid'... repeatedly repeating your claims doesn't as any further weight to them, it actually exposes them as being as fraudulent and dishonest as the one making the claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Exactly. Hes spewing the same anti-american bullshit as he was in the previous thread that was locked because he took it down that route. He moves the goal posts continually to dodge his own rhetoric. Apparently he hates the U.S. so much but doesn't mind paying a subscription for a game made and owned by an American Company. If he hates the U.S. so much he should delete all his toons, uninstall the game and cancel his subscription.
    BUT BUT BUT He loves the game, why would he do that?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post

Anatolia had European influence itself. Present Turkey was occupied by Europeans, Semites, and others throughout history.

So, again, try to understand: If we isolate some European elements from Warcraft, like the churches, they won't be necessarily European. However, if we put them together, they are European. The churches, then, are not merely churches, but are churches in European design. They are churches with European music.

Simple.