Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    If you wait until his hooks been baited, then sure, but he's a walking barn door; you really shouldn't need to. I really don't see why groups have such a problem with him; 99% of the time if they do its because they just run into him like lemmings. Widow, Hanzo, 76, Pharah, McCree, they can all do the job with much less risk to themselves than Reaper.
    Which is very true, but Reapers job, and pretty much the only thing he's good at, is destroying tanks.
    And if the Roadhog isn't particularly good, you can pretty much guess when he'll hook and just wraith form when you think he'll use it)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    And if, according to the server, he doesn't see me, why should he hit me?
    Because according to HIS system, he did see you, and hit you.

Again, the only alternative to this is that nobody hits anything they see, and you have to aim somewhere in front of people to hit them even with hitscan weapons, and pray they don't change direction or speed and that you correctly guessed their ping. If you want the game to favor the target, that is what you're arguing for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because according to HIS system, he did see you, and hit you.

Again, the only alternative to this is that nobody hits anything they see, and you have to aim somewhere in front of people to hit them even with hitscan weapons, and pray they don't change direction or speed and that you correctly guessed their ping. If you want the game to favor the target, that is what you're arguing for.
    No, I'm arguing for hitting what you can see. If he hits me, the server should show that he could see me. Otherwise it's just hitting blindly through walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm arguing for hitting what you can see. If he hits me, the server should show that he could see me. Otherwise it's just hitting blindly through walls.
    I'm not sure what you're asking.

The server's rebuilding the kill cam from the location data it has. You're asking that everyone's client send it a complete secondary set of location data JUST for building a marginally-more-accurate kill cam? That's a pretty ridiculous waste of bandwidth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what you're asking.

The server's rebuilding the kill cam from the location data it has. You're asking that everyone's client send it a complete secondary set of location data JUST for building a marginally-more-accurate kill cam? That's a pretty ridiculous waste of bandwidth.
    I'm asking the Server has correct location data and that the hook be made more sensible. I've been hooked through doors I haven't run through yet, I've been hooked through walls (No openings, but only once), I've been hooked through Reinhardt shields that never went down, and my personal favourite, 3 separate characters standing between me and the Roadhog.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Charge is a CC+one shot kill.

Arrow/Sniper round to the head is a one-shot kill.

Getting knocked off a cliff is generally a one-shot kill.

Trap+Bomb is a one-shot kill.

There are a LOT of things that can one-shot you in Overwatch. There are a lot of things that can one-shot you in ALL the FPS. Thats fine. Thats normal. The game is balanced around such a thing. This isn't a MMO, or a MOBA. Its a FPS, where you kill ppl in the face with rocket launchers, sniper rounds, knocking em off cliffs, hitting them in the back, ect. Its 10% skill, 90% reflexes.
    -Charge is slow, and requires aim. Hook is much faster, on a shorter cooldown, and brings the target to you rather than charging into danger. Reinhardt is also totally vulnerable while charging.
    -Arrow/sniper require aiming, and can't hit through walls. Hook can still hit through walls, as has been demonstrated many times. Additionally, its hit box is ridiculously large.
    -Cliff deaths account for probably 1% of all deaths when compared with hook deaths.
    -Trap requires you to walk into that trap. It's stationary. Hooks can be aimed at whenever, are on a short cooldown, have an overly large range and hitbox, and are instant death for most non-tanks.

Get the picture?

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't you getting hooked behind the wall.

This is you peeking out, getting hooked, and your PC not getting notified that you got hooked literally instantaneously, because the speed of light is still a thing.

The ONLY alternative to this would be to favour the target, meaning that nobody could ever land ANY shots on ANY mobile target, not without shooting ahead of them and hoping you correctly predicted their ping rate and that they wouldn't change direction.
    This is demonstrably false. Client vs Client hit detection can account for some things, but there are many, many, many videos of people demonstrating that his hook can travel through solid walls, even from the Hook-er's perspective. Quit spreading false information. Simply saying "muh 20tick survurs" isn't a catch-all explanation for everything. Hook is horribly designed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolec123 View Post
    You know that 60 (63 acutally) tickrate servers was introuduced in 1st season on August 12?
    here is blue post about it http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...8474858#post-1
    You can even check stats by pressing ctrl+shift+n ingame and check it for yourself.
    I didn't know that people who play OW didn't know about that change, cause new tickrate was brought rather suddnely, and I with my team noticed it instantly, game just got more responsive, firstly it was only in competitive games, and after some days in quick play. Now it's everywhere, you can check it by yourself.
    Also on same day (12 august) https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c..._tick_servers/ ppl just started to notice it. Oh btw PC only, console still have 20 (21) tickrate.
    Maybe I should've said "in all gamemodes and across al platforms". But way to nitpick bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Maybe I should've said "in all gamemodes and across al platforms". But way to nitpick bro.
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, just info. Tho on topic, I think roadhog is fine, need only some tweaking about grip mechanic, so he can't grip through walls etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolec123 View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, just info. Tho on topic, I think roadhog is fine, need only some tweaking about grip mechanic, so he can't grip through walls etc.
    Fix his hook and he'll be just fine. I'd even be fine with making the hook a slight bit bigger too (like 5-10%), but they need to make sure it doesn't go through walls

10+ Year Old Account
    the hook combo itself is fine, That's what his job is on the team, meatshield sniper-ish thing. Personally the problem I have with roadhog is how the hook itself mechanically functions. It's some sort of delayed hitscan ability, after roughly 0.5 seconds after hitting the button whoever is still on your crosshair at that time WILL be hooked regardless of how far they are able to travel in the roughly third of a second it takes the hook to "land" causing a "magical hook" effect for the person being hooked a fair portion of the time. I don't know why it's not already but I think it should be a pure projectile as the animation of the ability makes it look that way.
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    After one of the recent patches hook seems to be able to pull you through obstacles.

It wasn't like that before.

And I don't mean the 20 tick issue where it looked like he got me through the wall. I'm talking him hooking me in mid air, I land behind the wall and he still pulls me through that wall and a pillar behind it.

Before, the wall would stop me if I managed to time my jump.
    That isn't hooking you through a wall though, or pulling you through the wall, it's pulling you around it because you happened to land there after being hooked, which is fine. That wouldn't stop something from being pulled around a corner, the only issue is that graphically the rope sticks to a straight line after pulling, it doesn't go lax or anything, so it looks awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderion View Post
    -Charge is slow, and requires aim. Hook is much faster, on a shorter cooldown, and brings the target to you rather than charging into danger. Reinhardt is also totally vulnerable while charging.
    Roadhog is also vulnerable literally all the time. He has no barrier to protect himself while walking around like Reinhardt does. And Roadhog can't do anything while throwing out his hook, chances are he'll die to a Reaper before the hook finds its way back to him honestly. Or, you can put him to sleep as Ana while he throws the hook.

It also requires aim.

-Arrow/sniper require aiming, and can't hit through walls. Hook can still hit through walls, as has been demonstrated many times. Additionally, its hit box is ridiculously large.
    Hook also requires aiming, I'm not sure why people honestly think it doesn't. If it didn't, you'd see every single game there's a Roadhog, a card with 100% hook accuracy. The highest I ever see it is around 70% at most.

Also, arrows can go a hell of a lot further than a hook can, and can indeed hit around walls (Scatter shot).

-Trap requires you to walk into that trap. It's stationary. Hooks can be aimed at whenever, are on a short cooldown, have an overly large range and hitbox, and are instant death for most non-tanks.
    Trap is also 100% completely safe to use, and easy to set up around corners where people won't see it right away (Remember, Enemy Junkrat traps sink into the ground a bit so they're harder to spot).

And it's also instant death for most non-tanks.

Oh, and you don't have to aim the trap.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's his whole thing, picking people out of position and destroying them. Without that he's just a big target for the enemy to charge ults on from afar. I mean he still is that but at least he can punish the people that get out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That isn't hooking you through a wall though, or pulling you through the wall, it's pulling you around it because you happened to land there after being hooked, which is fine. That wouldn't stop something from being pulled around a corner, the only issue is that graphically the rope sticks to a straight line after pulling, it doesn't go lax or anything, so it looks awkward.
    I didn't say he hooked me through the wall.
    I said after one of the patches, hooking me in mid air and pulling me AFTER I went a good "meter" or two behind the wall is normal.

Before a certain patch, you could "block" yourself from pulling by jumping behind a wall in time. Then, even though he hooked you a moment ago, pulling stops due to the wall infront of you.

Now, whether that was a bug or not, I have no idea.

Being able or not being able was a bug and got fixed, or it got bugged after one of the patches. *shrug*

Hook is as much an issue for Roadhog as it is other players.

Is it hitscan, delayed hitscan, or a projectile. I've had occasions using it where you could argue all 3 quite easily.

Pathing is a nightmare. As soon as elevation is involved and even specs of dust it's a lottery. Will they, won't they come to you at all. Above you, behind, to the side. Now add Lucio speed boost into the mix.....Make your god damn mind up.

Roadhog is super vulnerable once hook is on CD, and any hero that operates outside the range of his hook is laughing. He has a huge hitbox, and health pool making him a free ulti charge

As to the OP. Yes he should 1 shot everything but a tank with consistency.... Now try and consistently 1 shot a Mei.. GL.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-08-30 at 11:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spam sidestep and jump while stunned, even as D.Va out of mech I can survive it.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    seriously i dnt see how blizzard doesnt think this is a problem, a tank shouldnt be able to 1 shot out of ultimates, and when he hooks you you cant do shit, i tried using reapers wraith form and it wouldnt even work and i also tried tracers recall and neither of those abilitys let you escape his hook, and then he 1 shots you with his shotgun.this is a problem and should be fixed, like maybe decrease the range of the hook and also fix the stupid wall glitches cos there not fixedor reduce the damage he does after the hook for 2-3 seconds so he cant 1 shot
    Part of the thing is his hook does some damage and then he has to do a headshot to kill instantly otherwise you are barely alive. Pretty sure the high bandwith servers will help with escape though in that they'll register quicker. Maybe it won't, but it's my hope I can spam my escape and get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    The problem I have with his hook are those BS plays where he gets me when I'm directly behind a wall, but I can't seem to do the same when I'm playing him.
    My favorite is getting hooked through two walls. Thinking it's server lag and on kill cam same thing. Or one I've had recently is he somehow tosses his chain behind his back and grabs me.

This is you peeking out, getting hooked, and your PC not getting notified that you got hooked literally instantaneously, because the speed of light is still a thing.
    Actually there are a lot of times you get hooked through walls and can even confirm it on the kill cam. Sometimes it might be a peek, but I've had a lot where I was literally behind a wall or two and still get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    I didn't say he hooked me through the wall.
    I said after one of the patches, hooking me in mid air and pulling me AFTER I went a good "meter" or two behind the wall is normal.

Before a certain patch, you could "block" yourself from pulling by jumping behind a wall in time. Then, even though he hooked you a moment ago, pulling stops due to the wall infront of you.

Now, whether that was a bug or not, I have no idea.

Being able or not being able was a bug and got fixed, or it got bugged after one of the patches. *shrug*
    I understand, that's my point though, that since it isn't being hooked through a wall, I still think it's fine. I do know what you mean, Roadhog is one of my top played. Specific situation I can think of is if you hooked someone as they fell off the steps on the way to the middle point on Nepal (the one that the point is on an elevated hill with the pillar on the inside), and you were on the point, before it would just catch them between the steps and the wall and you would get no one hooked to you. Now it pulls them around and up.

Reaper, Genji, Mei, Lucio and Tracer can survive it if they're quick (Wraith, Deflect/dash, Iceblock, Knockback, Blink/Recall respectively). The other healers are on the backlines, so if you go to get them your team is a person down in the early fight and you'll likely die if you try that, rather negating the fact that you just took out one of theirs.

The other characters capable of 1-shots have utility outside of it, and Roadhogs only other utility is to charge your Mercy's ult, and the ult of everyone on the enemy team at the same time
    No they can't. If Roadhog plays it correctly he gets his shot before anything can be done. You are playing bad Roadhogs. It's not up to the person being hooked, its up to the Roadhog's speed/aim. I haven't survived a Roadhog hook as a 200HP hero in quite a while (without teammate intervention). In that sense he counters his counters, which is annoying.

Roadhog just makes the game unfun. He isn't even a strong hero right now really; he just makes it not fun to play against moreso than any other hero. The chance that you can just die at any moment as a non-tank for a low-skill ability is silly. Like having a sniper with a headshot hitbox the size of your average sedan. Its a shitty mechanic, but I don't see how it can be fixed without gutting him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

You could just shoot him like a sponge without going into range.
    The 200hp heroes you talk about are what... McCree, S76 and Pharah. All heroes that easily outrange him if you don't go toe-to-toe. That leaves Genji; one of the hardest to hook consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    You could just shoot him like a sponge without going into range.
    The 200hp heroes you talk about are what... McCree, S76 and Pharah. All heroes that easily outrange him if you don't go toe-to-toe. That leaves Genji; one of the hardest to hook consistently.
    Mcree, 76, Pharah, Mercy, Junkrat, Zen, Ana, Lucio, Genji, Hanzo, Widow, Symmetra... Most heroes are 200HP.

Yea anyone can be outranged if you are looking down a long hallway. His hook is plenty long enough in most scenarios. Good Roadhogs know not to be sponges; they play close to corners and flanks and only pop out for hooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"