Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If only @Tennisace was not bannassinated! Tenn would explain this!
    I'll be your Canadian liason, and I'm sure @Tradewind can whip it out too.

Ahem.

The study is right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Exactly. Some people are just loudly offended that they can't be assholes towards others, without being called out on it. "seems you can't say anything anymore" One has to wonder what such persons typical speech is, if they feel they can't say anything.
    Actually, to be honest, a large majority of people are likely fine and not -trying- to be a dick.

However, again, the issue is what if they make a harmless joke? Suddenly they just committed murder or something in the eyes of an overly PC person. Who determines what is harmless and what is "hate"? People apply broad strokes swiftly.

Sticks and stones. What ever happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Except your idea of PC is not that simple.

While it would be nice for everybody to get along and hold hands, that is now how reality works. People should have the freedom to speak as they want.

The problem with PC is people who are very quick to label and scream at somebody who doesn't fully agree 100%. People are are actually -not- racist or whatever are labeled that immediately if they don't fully agree with everything.

So what happens is people who are normally chill and fine become resentful because they are jumped all over for things.

For example, see the recent thing with Ellen Degeneres? Made a harmless joke and suddenly people are screaming racism and throwing a huge fit. She can walk away just fine because she is a celebrity, but imagine a normal person? They likely lose their jobs or other things.

Everybody is constantly walking on egg-shells. Can you honestly tell me quality of life has improved in recent years when everything is offensive?

To be honest, PC makes things worse. Think of it this way. If we have a family with 3 kids, and the parents tell 2 of the 3 not to dare say anything to insult, offend, or upset the 3rd child, what do you think will happen? The 2 will grow resentful and bitter of the 3rd because they cannot speak freely. People do not like being stifled when it comes to what they are allowed to say.

PC is about special treatment. And special treatment is never met with much enthusiasm.
    Thing is, you can spout racism all day long. But don't get surprised when other people use their freedom of speech to call you out on it. It's equal. You use your freedom of speech, others will use theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Not really, it's just not being rude to people. Let's take for example immigration. We have borjas and trump. Borjas is PC but still manages to get his point across, whereas Trump just screams nonsense in order to gather attention.
    No its most definitely splits the populace into who is PC and who is not, and pits the 2 sides against each other creating resentment and conflict. PC is the opposite of free flow of ideas.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is no "PC crowd".

What you folks want to label as being "politically correct" is what everyone else calls "not deliberately being a dick". It's the same thing, you just wanted to attach a label to it for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct), commonly abbreviated to PC,[1] is a term that, in modern usage, is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society

That's it. Not saying things that are intended to offend people. That's "political correctness". Which means if you're against it, you're in favor of deliberately offending people for no real reason.

Blame yourselves for deciding that "being a dick" was a virtue you wanted to defend.
    What about when people freak out about "cultural appropriation" or whatever? Who is being the dick there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Don't know, do you want to keep feigning that you didn't get that the point of that question was to ask who gets to decide what is and isn't offensive?
    It's a dumb question, and a pointless one, then.

Whether or not someone takes offense is obviously subjective, but that doesn't really make any kind of argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That's not what PC is, or is being used for, and we both know it.

PC has been weaponised into a censorship campaing against anyone who dares disagree with one's opinion, even other fellow PC supporters.
    Yeah, nope. Not interested in crazy conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    I agree, although the problem arises when ,,being a dick'' becomes illegal. Technically, you can call everything you find offensive ,,hate speech'' nowadays.
    Only if you don't understand what "hate speech" actually entails.

All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.
    It's not about "being a dick to people", it's about something minor as micro aggressions now being sufficient as to be considered as "being a dick to people".

Thing is, you can spout racism all day long. But don't get surprised when other people use their freedom of speech to call you out on it. It's equal. You use your freedom of speech, others will use theirs.
    Again my point is proven here. If you are not being PC you are spewing racism.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

7+ Year Old Account
    I am trying to say not everybody "spouts racism" all day long. But occasionally somebody might make a harmless joke with friends or tease. After that it gets insanely blown out of proportion.

All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    When you have 6 sexualities and 200 triggers, its hard not to be a dick, and not in the intentional sense either. Which is the point. People get offended you don't know there pronouns and made up gender identities. Its gone too far. I would actually argue the people who get mad and say you are a dick for not understanding, are the real dicks because they think they are so special that you would know those things about them on first contact.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/offensive

Any other basic English words you want to feign that you don't understand the meaning of?
    So effectively anything someone else might find unpleasant? And who draws out and defines what is unpleasant? I presume people with power? Like, I guess, idk, what is that word? Someone like a Arbitrator, referee, stabilizer?.... Mod.... ifier? idk someone like that who will decide for the masses what is and isn't offensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    It really escalates quickly, doesn't it?

It's like saying if you don't like Black Lives Matter suddenly you are an evil racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anti-PC being the movement to be a dick without social repercussions. You have a right to not be censored by your government or thrown in jail for your words but you don't have the right to be blasted by a society that doesn't like what you have to say. If the people that were so strongly against PC actually believed in what they say then they wouldn't care about some people not liking them but the fact of the matter is they want to be able to say dick-ish things and demand an audience of people that don't want to listen to them. In their minds they think this is being "censored" but not getting a soapbox is not the same as being censored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, to be honest, a large majority of people are likely fine and not -trying- to be a dick.

However, again, the issue is what if they make a harmless joke? Suddenly they just committed murder or something in the eyes of an overly PC person. Who determines what is harmless and what is "hate"? People apply broad strokes swiftly.

Sticks and stones. What ever happened to that?
    If someone's hurt by the "joke", then it wasn't harmless.

As for the "sticks and stones" thing, it's a stupid schoolyard thing you tell kids to try and get them to ignore bullies. It has no relevance to the real world, where insults and such are absolutely actionable under the law, if they cause emotional harm or are slanderous in nature.

Slander is "just words", as is harassing someone over the phone. Doesn't make either of those permissible actions.

What about when people freak out about "cultural appropriation" or whatever? Who is being the dick there?
    Depends on the precise circumstances, but it doesn't really have much to do with political correctness, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Majority of Canadians say political correctness has “gone too far”

-snip- .
    Now we just need people to start standing up to these cry bullies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Anti-PC being the movement to be a dick without social repercussions. You have a right to not be censored by your government or thrown in jail for your words but you don't have the right to be blasted by a society that doesn't like what you have to say. If the people that were so strongly against PC actually believed in what they say then they wouldn't care about some people not liking them but the fact of the matter is they want to be able to say dick-ish things and demand an audience of people that don't want to listen to them. In their minds they think this is being "censored" but not getting a soapbox is not the same as being censored.
    What about the idea that some people are possibly being more provocative on purpose simply to rebel against the ridiculousness of PCness?

I am trying to say not everybody "spouts racism" all day long. But occasionally somebody might make a harmless joke with friends or tease. After that it gets insanely blown out of proportion.
    Well, that's honestly their problem, if they can't understand a joke. If you were to keep telling racist jokes just for example constantly, one might have to question if you are really joking. That takes more than few random jokes however.

I think your conclusion is delusional. Was that PC or racism towards you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    No its most definitely splits the populace into who is PC and who is not, and pits the 2 sides against each other creating resentment and conflict. PC is the opposite of free flow of ideas.
    Then I have to repeat the example. Borjas is anti immigration, while being PC he still manages to get his point acros.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    So effectively anything someone else might find unpleasant? And who draws out and defines what is unpleasant? I presume people with power? Like, I guess, idk, what is that word? Someone like a Arbitrator, referee, stabilizer?.... Mod.... ifier? idk someone like that who will decide for the masses what is and isn't offensive?
    You're not making the least bit of sense. Nobody needs to objectively declare whether or not a particular statement is offensive or not, in the first place.

Some things pretty blatantly are, but not because some third party declared them to be, but because the intent of the statement was to demean and belittle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the precise circumstances, but it doesn't really have much to do with political correctness, anyway.
    Oh it absolutely does. "Cultural appropriation" "offends" some people, so it's absolutely tied into political correctness.

And even the term "cultural appropriation" is stupid.