Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It really escalates quickly, doesn't it?

It's like saying if you don't like Black Lives Matter suddenly you are an evil racist.
    I will stand by the notion that PC is mentioned to cause social unrest by silencing the so called bad side. There is no other out come of demanding "NICENESS" when such things are subjective. In a very abstract sense PC is a same idea of everyone being armed and that will force politness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Well, that's honestly their problem, if they can't understand a joke. If you were to keep telling racist jokes just for example constantly, one might have to question if you are really joking. That takes more than few random jokes however.

I think your conclusion is delusional. Was that PC or racism towards you?
    Neither, that's normal conversation.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I think your conclusion is delusional. Was that PC or racism towards you?
    His conclusion makes perfect sense.

You seem like the easily-offended sort. If somebody told you they think the group BLM is a joke and that they are against it? What conclusion do you jump to in how you view them?

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Neither, that's normal conversation.
    Good, then we are on the same page.

His conclusion makes perfect sense.

You seem like the easily-offended sort. If somebody told you they think the group BLM is a joke and that they are against it? What conclusion do you jump to in how you view them?
    Why should I care about BLM any more than MGTOW or radical feminists? You tell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh it absolutely does. "Cultural appropriation" "offends" some people, so it's absolutely tied into political correctness.

And even the term "cultural appropriation" is stupid.
    Do some few take it too far? Sure. The same goes for literally everything.

That doesn't mean that dressing up as a racist caricature is "okay", and that's the kind of stuff people are getting at when they decry cultural appropriation.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about the idea that some people are possibly being more provocative on purpose simply to rebel against the ridiculousness of PCness?
    I'd ask what exactly are they not allowed to say because of PCness. What is it that they're fighting for? What I find is when people think of PC they immediately go for the Tumblr extreme of triggered kids for not using their zhe/zher whatever the heck gender pronouns when they're just that... kids. They're irrelevant and lots of them grow out of the extreme phase or maybe they stick with it, they're still irrelevant and will never come close to being in any position of power because they're too busy arguing over arbitrary labels and not, y'know, actually bettering themselves or being people that others want to lead them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, nope. Not interested in crazy conspiracy theories.
    How is it a conspiracy theory?

Sounds like "I don't want to admit something and discuss the issue so I'll just handwave it away" to me.

Seriously, look at any "Progressive/PC" (whatever label you associate with) and you'll find examples of members turning on their own for not being 'X' enough. PC is not about "not being a dick", like you claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will stand by the notion that PC is mentioned to cause social unrest by silencing the so called bad side. There is no other out come of demanding "NICENESS" when such things are subjective. In a very abstract sense PC is a same idea of everyone being armed and that will force politness.
    No one is being "silenced". When you're not being nice, people say "hey, that's not very nice". If you don't want to get accused of being not-nice, maybe try being nice in the first place?

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe you can -demand- people to be nice to each other.

Try forcing "niceness" in a High School. It's unfortunate, but even as adults and in the real world, you cannot force people to be nice to each other just as you can't force a bunch of teenagers to get along. So even the idea of PC is just a delusional dream conjured up by people who have no clue about how reality works.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again my point is proven here. If you are not being PC you are spewing racism.
    No, you can say whatever the hell you want, just mind your language if you want to make your point across.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How is it a conspiracy theory?

Sounds like "I don't want to admit something and discuss the issue so I'll just handwave it away" to me.

Seriously, look at any "Progressive/PC" (whatever label you associate with) and you'll find examples of members turning on their own for not being 'X' enough. PC is not about "not being a dick", like you claim.
    Because A> what you're describing isn't happening, and B> you used ridiculous hyperbole like "weaponising". As if asking people to not be blatantly racist was akin to mailing them Anthrax or something.

It's a dumb question, and a pointless one, then.

Whether or not someone takes offense is obviously subjective, but that doesn't really make any kind of argument.
    Except it does. Being politically correct should mean not deliberately doing or saying things that others would find offensive. Except the term is being used without the 'deliberately' and, since what different people find offensive varies and is highly subjective, the task has now become impossible. If you will get blamed for offending someone, even unintentionally, and you have no idea prior to speaking what someone will regard as offensive, then the social pendulum has swung too far in that direction.

That doesn't mean that dressing up as a racist caricature is "okay", and that's the kind of stuff people are getting at when they decry cultural appropriation.
    Why is not being PC considered instant racism?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    No.

If that was the case, then whites would be included, and males ,but in every case i've seen, you get this god like status only if you are non white and / or non male.

If the position was "lets not be dicks to anybody" then i can see your point

but the position is actually "lets not be dicks to these select groups, based on their race and gender"

to which i say the following is true: Obviously that is clearly sexist and racist, but perhaps even more dangerously, we're telling people that unless you are friendly, you're not worth talking to or not worth engaging with.

What ever happened to valuing the points said, not how they are said or who is saying them?

Why is not being PC considered instant racism?
    Do you actually know what the word racism means? You seem confused about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    No, you can say whatever the hell you want, just mind your language if you want to make your point across.
    Your notion of PC is not its practice in socal circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account

Try forcing "niceness" in a High School. It's unfortunate, but even as adults and in the real world, you cannot force people to be nice to each other just as you can't force a bunch of teenagers to get along. So even the idea of PC is just a delusional dream conjured up by people who have no clue about how reality works.
    And, if you choose to not be nice, people might point out that you're not very nice.

That's the worst that "political correctness" has to throw at you. That people might notice how not-nice you are. If you don't want that to happen, maybe try not being a jerk in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account

Well yes "forcing" will never work but an expectation of social standards can go just as far. Most adults and even kids for that matter don't go around hurling insults at each other off the start. Especially not strangers. Do unto others and such. You'll have bad apples but assuming everyone is generally nice and acting in turn can make for civil conversations and not two monkeys just throwing feces at one another.

Wow this whole thread is just a large example of this:

Exactly my point, if you are not PC you are X. Where X is bad. Such a wonderful type of social enviroment if you disagree what what is PC. It's a direct lead to conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Except it does. Being politically correct should mean not deliberately doing or saying things that others would find offensive. Except the term is being used without the 'deliberately' and, since what different people find offensive varies and is highly subjective, the task has now become impossible. If you will get blamed for offending someone, even unintentionally, and you have no idea prior to speaking what someone will regard as offensive, then the social pendulum has swung too far in that direction.
    But the harshest punishment for that is losing a person to talk to. In that case that's not someone worth speaking to then and you move on.

I'm not seeing the issue here. I've no problem with people dressing up as leprechauns and talking in a terrible Irish accent, as long as they don't get in my face about it or physically attack me over it.

PC culture is a ticking time bomb from my experience.

They will actively hunt you down in a crowd, get in your face, aggressively interrogating you on issues, then when you dare walk way, or not want to discuss it, or tell them to stop harassing you, they resort to violence