Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Person 1: "I think women are stupid."
    Person 2: "Now, this is not nice. Why would you say such a sexist thing..."
    Person 1: "Ah, you damn feminazi SJW, political correctness is really getting out of hand."

You want the right to be a jerk, but you don't want the right for others to criticize you for being a jerk. Goooooo, freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    But you do not have the right to control my speech which is what PC is turning into.
    no it isn't.
    like most people who try to frame "free speech" as the unfiltered need to be a complete assbag to people with no consequence, you're confusing "the right to say what you want" with "the requirement for other people to hear it."

you and anyone else can think and say whatever you want (well, within reason and within western society) but that doesn't mean you get to say it in a public and force other people to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Except it does. Being politically correct should mean not deliberately doing or saying things that others would find offensive. Except the term is being used without the 'deliberately' and, since what different people find offensive varies and is highly subjective, the task has now become impossible. If you will get blamed for offending someone, even unintentionally, and you have no idea prior to speaking what someone will regard as offensive, then the social pendulum has swung too far in that direction.
    I disagree. I'm going to make a joke about Black people always being late. Tough luck if Blacks find that offensive? I should be able to make Black jokes all I want? Well I can make jokes about Blacks\Jews\Polocks all I want and then if someone finds my jokes offensive, I'll just tell them they are being Sensitive and that they need to grow up or grow thicker skin. But Absolutely positively I should not ever consider saying "Sorry, wasn't my intention to offend" because that's admitting defeat!

But I will say it is sad to see this topic can only be black or white. One side argues against the other side in absolute extreme cases and pretend like it's the norm.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    except that what you described isn't censorship, with a side note being that you don't get to decide what other people find offensive, nor do you get to decide what a company decides is worth it (or not) to continue with a campaign in the face of a negative public reaction.
    Hardly was a negative public reaction. The people who were "offended" were probably not even a fan of X-Men. Fan's would understand that Apocalypse is a villain.

Society has just become a group of pussies, to put it bluntly. Makes me wonder what would happen if a real tragedy or horrific event struck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    There is being a dick and offending people, and there are just people making cry babies.

See Ellen DeGeneres and her photo of being on the back of a runner. People cried racists ... just because there feelings were hurt.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Person 1: "Ah, you damn feminazi SJW, political correctness is really getting out of hand."

You want the right to be a jerk, but you don't want the right for others to criticize you for being a jerk. Goooooo, freedom!
    It's more like "

Person 1: "I think BLM is causing trouble and promoting violence."
    Person 2: "YOU FCKEN RACIST PIECE OF SHIT."

No one is being "silenced".
    This is fuckin' RICH coming from an MMO-Champion moderator, by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    This is fuckin' RICH coming from an MMO-Champion moderator, by the way.
    It's not being "silenced" if you break the rules you agreed to before using the website.

All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    Personally I've stopped giving a damn long ago, but I find it funny how many people still think PC is something to strive for as opposed to simply learning to live with common criticism or differing opinions. Sure, delivery and choice of words is just as important, but you can't sugarcoat things endlessly, sometimes you have to be blunt. If this bluntness is what you refer to as "being a dick" then I guess I'm one.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Then they complain that they are being "cencored", when all they are actually getting back is criticism. Then...In a funny twist they are calling for those people who would criticize them to be silent, thus wanting to silence their opposition. Makes perfect sense, and not hypocritical at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Being polite is seen as a problem in Canada? Sounds like a lovely country.

In this age of PC and triggers and safe spaces etc. all I can say is - "fuck off you *insert whatever label offends you here*"

Those "people" wouldn't survive a FREAK'N DAY under REAL oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems like one of those manufactured surveys designed to reach a premeditated conclusion. Let's try another survey,

'What's more bothersome? Political Correctness or the thought of Donald Trump as Prime Minister?'

Pretty sure I know where Canada stands on that one.

Yeah, nope. Not interested in crazy conspiracy theories.
    That's ok, those theories are definitely interested in you. It's pretty amusing that this is the auto default dismissal, all you doubters and deniers have to do is scream 'crazy conspiracy theories' with your fingers in your ears to anything that doesn't match up with the particulars you agree with or what you're willing to accept.

Pro-tip: Just because you don't agree or accept it doesn't make it untrue. That's something you've applied to plenty other people on this board many, many times so you should be familiar with it. What you personally find unacceptable is something that other people have lots of experience dealing with, so you may want to get out of your bubble a bit more.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Personally I've stopped giving a damn long ago, but I find it funny how many people still think PC is something to strive for as opposed to simply learning to live with common criticism or differing opinions. Sure, delivery and choice of words is just as important, but you can't sugarcoat things endlessly, sometimes you have to be blunt. If this bluntness is what you refer to as "being a dick" then I guess I'm one.
    And sometimes you need "tough love".

Let's say you have a fat person. Keep telling them they are beautiful and amazing and essentially -ENABLING- them to continue unhealthy lifestyles and probably die of some health disease due to their weight.

Or -GASP- "be a dick" (I know I am so evil "muh feelings") And encourage them to lose weight and be healthier and overall more happy.

We should stop encouraging people to be so frail, weak, and pathetic to being so deeply traumatized by words. All these PC people likely are going to make horrible parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not making the least bit of sense. Nobody needs to objectively declare whether or not a particular statement is offensive or not, in the first place.

Some things pretty blatantly are, but not because some third party declared them to be, but because the intent of the statement was to demean and belittle.
    there is a very imporant word in there that the pc crowd, that you pretend doesn't exist while actively being it's champion here, seem to ignore "intent". You assume intent, most times incorrectly. For example someone says "illegall migrants should be deported", people like you assume they mean "all Mexican should go back to Mexico", when all they mean is the laws we have in place should be inforced no matter the color of the persons skin is that is breaking it.
    Last edited by stabetha; 2016-08-29 at 05:54 PM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

7+ Year Old Account
    <-- canadian

PC is out of control

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Hardly was a negative public reaction. The people who were "offended" were probably not even a fan of X-Men. Fan's would understand that Apocalypse is a villain.
    but again you're trying to equivocate in order to frame the issue as being about what you think is offensive or not, and you simply don't get to decide that.

Society has just become a group of pussies, to put it bluntly.
    well firstly i'd suggest that there is questionable merit to the idea that when it comes to speech and social interaction in general that not being "pussies" is something we should be collectively striving for.
    secondly, i'd argue that western society is at about the least pussy it's ever been when it comes to the engagement of the public intellectually, given very recent history about what you weren't allowed to say (by law) or topics you were restricted from talking about by taboo.

Makes me wonder what would happen if a real tragedy or horrific event struck?
    statistically speaking?
    if it's in the US, a country with brown people is going to get invaded.
    if it's somewhere else, they'll try to act like at least somewhat rational adults.

You don't see anything wrong with Person 2 immediately assuming sexism, istead of caring more about Person 1 and why he would say such a thing?

If that was political correctness then SJW's wouldn't try and get people fired from their jobs when they say something they don't like. They'd say "Hey don't be a dick". The fact is that is political correctness =/= being polite if it was what you claim people would be using the term "polite correctness". What you call "being dick" is what? People being critical of Islam? People being critical of feminism? Guess what other people are entitled to be critical of ideologues they don't agree with. Pretty sure you exercise that right every day and as often as you can. You're most likely a dick to conservatives a whole damn lot now image if they could stifle your free speech rights over it? The tear and screams from little Endus and the wailing would cause a flood of biblical proportions.