Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, I'll believe Fox's statements on why they took it down over the kind of ridiculous hyperbole you're expressing here. You're literally inventing your own fiction, here.

Not even Fox agrees with you as to why Fox took down the ad.
    I think even you can see a PR person at work when you see one lol. I wonder if any women were "hurt" in X-Men? I bet not because they don't condone violence against women and the scene of one being choked was too much to put on a poster so surely they didn't have any harm come to women in any of their movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    And sometimes you need "tough love".

Let's say you have a fat person. Keep telling them they are beautiful and amazing and essentially -ENABLING- them to continue unhealthy lifestyles and probably die of some health disease due to their weight.

Or -GASP- "be a dick" (I know I am so evil "muh feelings") And encourage them to lose weight and be healthier and overall more happy.

We should stop encouraging people to be so frail, weak, and pathetic to being so deeply traumatized by words. All these PC people likely are going to make horrible parents.
    But that's not "being a dick" if you're actually encouraging them to be healthier and helping them. Going "Hey lard ass put down the cheeseburgers and get to running you fat fuck" isn't being encouraging or even "tough love" it's just being an asshole. And even if you're trying to be nice about it and encouraging and they still get #triggered then all you can say is that you tried and don't bother with it again.

We should stop encouraging people to be so frail, weak, and pathetic to being so deeply traumatized by words. All these PC people likely are going to make horrible parents.
    Well, we already get the "Not OUR Special Snowflake" -type of parenting, which mostly thrives on denial and projecting any problems to people around them, never themselves or the kid.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    You don't see anything wrong with Person 2 immediately assuming sexism, istead of caring more about Person 1 and why he would say such a thing?
    you don't see anything wrong with Person 1 immediately assuming feminazi SJW political correctness, instead of caring more about Person 2 and why they would say such a thing?

There is no "PC crowd".

What you folks want to label as being "politically correct" is what everyone else calls "not deliberately being a dick". It's the same thing, you just wanted to attach a label to it for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct), commonly abbreviated to PC,[1] is a term that, in modern usage, is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society

That's it. Not saying things that are intended to offend people. That's "political correctness". Which means if you're against it, you're in favor of deliberately offending people for no real reason.

Blame yourselves for deciding that "being a dick" was a virtue you wanted to defend.
    No being polite is just that, being polite. Being PC is a term made up so as to distinguish 2 groups, those who are PC and those who are not. And those that are not are then labeled whatever ism is in flavor. It creates and an in group and an out group. Conflict is its only purpose.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't see anything wrong with Person 2 immediately assuming sexism, istead of caring more about Person 1 and why he would say such a thing?
    It's not person two's responsibility to ask for clarification. If Person 1 wanted to expand on the thought they should have done so from the beginning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    there is a very imporant word in there the pc crowd, that you pretend doesn't exist while actively being it's champion here, seem to ignore "intent". You assume intent, most times incorrectly. For example someone says "illegall migrants should be deported", people like you assume they mean "all Mexican should go back to Mexico", when all they mean is the laws we have in place should be inforced no matter the color of the persons skin is that is breaking it.
    Your example is idiotic because there are hundreds of groups that have been making that exact point and trying to explain why in a PC way. Ie not being offensive. Trump just fucked up on his language.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I disagree. I'm going to make a joke about Black people always being late. Tough luck if Blacks find that offensive? I should be able to make Black jokes all I want? Well I can make jokes about Blacks\Jews\Polocks all I want and then if someone finds my jokes offensive, I'll just tell them they are being Sensitive and that they need to grow up or grow thicker skin. But Absolutely positively I should not ever consider saying "Sorry, wasn't my intention to offend" because that's admitting defeat!

But I will say it is sad to see this topic can only be black or white. One side argues against the other side in absolute extreme cases and pretend like it's the norm.
    But what you're talking about is a comment with negative connotations being leveled directly against a specific group of people. On something like this, PC wins out. That should be obvious, as is making a comment like that and turning around and saying you didn't mean to offend anyone. All that is is a transparent way of saying, "I want to make fun of a group of people without them getting upset, can I do that?" This is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about situations such as people getting offended at things that are clearly not intended to be offensive (a black man at a city council meeting claiming racism when someone criticized city hall as being a "black hole for records") or people getting offended on behalf of someone else. "I have decided that this group of people do not like that." If they don't, that's one thing, but you don't get to decide for them what they are and are not ok with, that's rude and they're more likely to get offended that you feel the need to think and make decisions for them.

These things happen and that's what I'm referring to, not examples like what you said. Hope clarification helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree that a modicum of PC is needed (one should not want to be rude on purpose), if PC is used to suppress opinions you dislike because you deliberately use feeling "offended" then yes: PC has gone to far.

No matter how much you want to take others into consideration, at some point you have to say: "white is white" and "black is black".

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    It's not person two's responsibility to ask for clarification. If Person 1 wanted to expand on the thought they should have done so from the beginning.
    Even if that would be how comminucation works, it's still quite telling about person two, if the first conclusion he draws from an ambiguous statement is that of malintent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Your example is idiotic because there are hundreds of groups that have been making that exact point and trying to explain why in a PC way. Ie not being offensive. Trump just fucked up on his language.
    wait are you saying my example is idiotic because it's true?
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I'm talking about situations such as people getting offended at things that are clearly not intended to be offensive (a black man at a city council meeting claiming racism when someone criticized city hall as being a "black hole for records") or people getting offended on behalf of someone else. "I have decided that this group of people do not like that." If they don't, that's one thing, but you don't get to decide for them what they are and are not ok with, that's rude and they're more likely to get offended that you feel the need to think and make decisions for them.

These things happen and that's what I'm referring to, not examples like what you said. Hope clarification helps.
    so what you're saying is that if any number of people (even if it's just one or a handful) being fuckwits in a way which you decide sounds tangentially related to the abstract principle of another concept of which you are aware means that the entirety of that concept is now morally and intellectually defunct and should be discarded?

granted this may be dangerously close to invoking a "no true scotsman" fallacy, but the example you provided isn't one of being PC or of the idea of being PC even in its most logical extreme - that's just an example of a dipshit not understanding what words mean.
    that's like saying every conservative is a homophobic idiot because of that language teacher in utah that got fired for using the word 'homophones' because it sounded too gay - which by the way the central impetus there was because the school administrators were afraid that students and parents would get offended and have a shit fit.

funny how this whole "omg the world is full of pussies and political correctness has gone too far" always focuses on blacks and women and never on, for example, the parent's television council or the MPAA ratings system.

I agree that some things are starting to go to far in the name of PC and things people/company do about it because of $$$.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if that would be how comminucation works, it's still quite telling about person two, if the first conclusion he draws from an ambiguous statement is that of malintent.
    Well both have a right to freely express themselves with whatever thought immediately pops in their head. Generalized statements and jumping to conclusions and all.

- - - Updated - - -

They're saying that you can talk about illegal immigration and other "non PC" topics without going at it like Trump does.

Deleted
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    Political correctness isn't bad, TOO MUCH political correctness is bad... you know, just like too much of anything is bad... just because people aren't super PC doesn't mean they're assholess either you know. It's not X or Y, it's a spectrum, a gradient. And yes, I think too much PC is bad, because it enables people to do stupid shit because they're poor/brown/religious/gay and d'awww they just had a rough life so it is OK. Just treat everyone with respect, no special treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I wonder what kind of parents people so weak as to whine on forums daily about evil SJWs/feminists/PC/liberals/leftists would make.

People complaining about PC tend to be the most thin-skinned people ever. Which is just one of thousands different ironies about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm saying that groups have been saying immigration is bad and explaining why without being misrepresented on their intent because they have been cautious on their language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    While I agree that a modicum of PC is needed (one should not want to be rude on purpose), if PC is used to suppress opinions you dislike because you deliberately use feeling "offended" then yes: PC has gone to far.

No matter how much you want to take others into consideration, at some point you have to say: "white is white" and "black is black".
    Fully agree, and my patience only goes so far sometimes. I can walk away most of the time but sometimes you just have to put a person in their place...

Also, there's always ways to being an asshole to people without being an asshole and the morons are usually too stupid or oblivious to understand what you just said to them.

I only do it to it to people that deserve it though.

Same thing applies to this forum and indirectly insulting people all day long and not get in trouble for it. :P
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's the intrinsic contradiction in modern rightwinged populism.
    They want freedom of speech, except when it's used against them.
    They want the government to be as small as possible, except when they can use it to ban stuff they don't want.
    They constantly create threads, being triggered by every little thing, then complain that the left is triggered.
    Etc, etc.
    Projection is a curious psychological phenomenon. Although, I think, it doesn't depend on "left/right", it just depends on the personal integrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyn View Post
    Freedom of speech is great until you realize it's also freedom to criticize others, isn't it? There is no "political correctness gang" running around putting guns to administrators' heads. If people are getting fired because of a letter writing campaign, then it's not the fault of the people who wrote the letters. That responsibility lies solely with the person being fired and the people in charge of them being fired.

The basic problem I've found with almost anyone who claims political correctness has "Gone Too Far!" is they seem to not be able to take criticism of their words and actions. There is no law enforcing some nebulous definition of "political correctness". There is nobody holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to be "politically correct". All there is is people speaking out against things that they find offensive -- i.e., exercising freedom of speech.

And yes, you're doing that by claiming political correctness has "Gone Too Far!", which is fine. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with you or not criticize your beliefs or actions.
    Oh ok. So having someone overhearing a joke about dongles you made to a friend, and getting you fired for it, is just not being able to take criticism.

Got it.