Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Banning the flag because it may offend someone is pretty stupid, but I've never felt that stuff belongs in sports anyhow. Flags, Anthems, etc. None of it has to do with sports, unless you're in a situation like the Olympics where countries are competing. Even then, I find it unnecessary, but definitely more understandable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Free expression is not always valuable. If you come into my house and call me a dickhead, that is your free expression, but I get to make you leave. You don't get to hang around just because free expression is super important to you.
    Yes I agree if someone goes onto your private property you have power to kick people out. Also violent threats are the other invaluable form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Paying the IRS is the greatest form of loyalty you can pay to the US. Without that our military would be very weak.
    Forced loyalty != loyalty. I appreciate the sentiment but it's flawed.

Yes I agree if someone goes onto your private property you have power to kick people out. Also violent threats are the other invaluable form.
    Actually, if I think they might bother me, I don't have to let them in at all! Because my right to safety and security in my own home, completely trumps your right to free expression on the same grounds. The same applies to schools.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    Forced loyalty != loyalty. I appreciate the sentiment but it's flawed.
    Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense. It shows loyalty to not engage in an insurrection against the nation, but to do so would be illegal, so are you saying that it is forced loyalty to NOT commit terrorist acts?

- - - Updated - - -

Banning the flag because it may offend someone is pretty stupid, but I've never felt that stuff belongs in sports anyhow. Flags, Anthems, etc. None of it has to do with sports, unless you're in a situation like the Olympics where countries are competing. Even then, I find it unnecessary, but definitely more understandable.
    The flag wasn't banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying the IRS is the greatest form of loyalty you can pay to the US. Without that our military would be very weak.
    It's the least... I don't give a shit if you think your money pays for soldiers to go to war, when it's them who actually do it. We don't have conscription...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    http://eagnews.org/sc-school-bans-am...ootball-games/

...because it can be used to taunt hispanic members of the opposing school.

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?
    well the taunts will come when the hispanic kids on the other team accidently show up for a soccer game
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Actually, if I think they might bother me, I don't have to let them in at all! Because my right to safety and security in my own home, completely trumps your right to free expression on the same grounds. The same applies to schools.

- - - Updated - - -

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense. It shows loyalty to not engage in an insurrection against the nation, but to do so would be illegal, so are you saying that it is forced loyalty to NOT commit terrorist acts?

- - - Updated - - -

The flag wasn't banned.
    You are arguing in favor of oppression... in order to stop the possibility of oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You are arguing in favor of oppression... in order to stop the possibility of oppression.
    It's not oppression to be refused entry to a football game carrying a flag. Is it oppression if I get removed from school grounds because I refuse to follow the rules?

10+ Year Old Account
    The examples are not the same. Also I was not encouraging not doing these things. I was just stating that when you're forced to do something, it is not an act of loyalty.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It's the least... I don't give a shit if you think your money pays for soldiers to go to war, when it's them who actually do it. We don't have conscription...
    They are paying for the drones and the bombs, active fighting soldiers are a tiny portion of modern militaries.

It's not oppression to be refused entry to a football game carrying a flag. Is it oppression if I get removed from school grounds because I refuse to follow the rules?
    If the rules restrict a victimless action, or are applied in an unequal manner, yes it is oppression. All that really is left to be determined, is how much oppression you are willing to support.

If the rules restrict a victimless action, or are applied in an unequal manner, yes it is oppression. All that really is left to be determined, is how much oppression you are willing to support.
    The definition of oppression is prolonged unjust treatment. Not being allowed to enter a football game with a giant flag on a stick is not prolonged unjust treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things do not have to be against the rules to be oppression. Your country had a rather large amount of oppression going on, and it was not against the rules, for quite some time. That was eventually found to be wrong and then corrected. Could this flag situation not be the same? Should it just be accepted because it's deemed a "rule" and considered proper because someone decided it is?

Edit: I'm going to apologize immediately because I assumed you are American, which may not be true.

Things do not have to be against the rules to be oppression. Your country had a rather large amount of oppression going on, and it was not against the rules, for quite some time. That was eventually found to be wrong and then corrected. Could this flag situation not be the same? Should it just be accepted because it's deemed a "rule" and considered proper because someone decided it is?
    Awesome, I can't wait to wander into school grounds and start screaming into classrooms to EXERCISE MUH FREEDUM! When the police come, I'll just tell them how oppressive it is to stop me.

The definition of oppression is prolonged unjust treatment. Not being allowed to enter a football game with a giant flag on a stick is not prolonged unjust treatment.
    Prolonged, burdensome, cruel, or unjust treatment. If something is not applied evenly, it is certainly unjust. If it restricts a victimless action, then it is burdensome. You are fine with the oppression, because it happens to be something you agree with. You would have likely been up in arms if a gay person had been refused entry, or a person waving a Rainbow flag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, I can't wait to wander into school grounds and start screaming into classrooms to EXERCISE MUH FREEDUM! When the police come, I'll just tell them how oppressive it is to stop me.
    You're being intentionally extreme and ridiculous, so I'm just going to stop my end of the debate here.

You're being intentionally extreme and ridiculous, so I'm just going to stop my end of the debate here.
    You mean you think you shouldn't have to tolerate me if you suspect I am just being disruptive? What if someone got refused entry to football game for that same reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Joe Barton from Texas said wind was a finite resource and harnessing it would cause the world to be warmer. So please stop trying to kill us by saluting wind all the time!
    Texas politicians are in a league of stupidity all their own...

Prolonged, burdensome, cruel, or unjust treatment. If something is not applied evenly, it is certainly unjust. If it restricts a victimless action, then it is burdensome. You are fine with the oppression, because it happens to be something you agree with. You would have likely been up in arms if a gay person had been refused entry, or a person waving a Rainbow flag.
    Where is the prolonged part in this story? Where is the uneven part in this story?

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems there is some updated info on this story:
    High school that banned U.S. flag at football game reverses decision

“Effective immediately, students are allowed to bring the American Flag to any and all Travelers Rest High School events,” the statement read.

“Instead of restricting possession of the flag, the TRHS administration will, if needed, address the misuse of the Flag, or any other inappropriate behavior, on an individual basis.”
    This is the appropriate reaction to harassment.