1440p 60hz upgrade affect my rigs performance?

Figured i'd confirm a few things before I went ahead and purchased the monitor.

Going from 24" ASUS 1080p 60hz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8vu000a1700053 to a OC'able 27" QNIX 1440p 60hz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4bx000a1700053 that I have read so many good things about and wanted to make sure I wouldn't get a drop in performance in Ultra setting playing Heroes and Warcraft.

Just built this rig, playing at Ultra with 200% Render Scale and it is as smooth as butter in PvP, Capitals, Invasion events with 50+ tagging mobs, and Raids and really seeing what this(WoW) game looks like flawlessly for the first time. Such a VAST improvement from my lame AMD FX-8320/7700 build.

Would really like to keep things smooth and flawless and high FPS but want to take it to the next level even still with the display. So, will it all be okay? Will performance take a hit at Ultra? Do I need to tweak settings and if so which ones?

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
    Asus z170p
    Intel i5 6600k
    Cryorig H7
    Geil Potenza 16gb
    Corsair 480gb SSD
    Seasonic M12 620W Bronze

i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz
    r9 290 @ 1100mhz / 5600mhz
    same qnix monitor at 96hz

i probably get 80-100 (100 max rate set) while outside questing and in dungeons, anywhere between 40-70 during raid boss depending how much is going on.
    i can't say i stare at my fps indicator all the time, but mythic raiding and even the invasions when they were super busy never made me feel like i was slugging along.

settings:
    http://i.imgur.com/nNwbK5p.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Z3uWLGc.png

i'm gonna imagine you should be fine as well, maybe turn render scaling down/off?
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-08-29 at 05:31 PM.

Yes, there will be a pretty steep drop in performance, setting graphics to medium-high will probably bring it back, 1440p is worth it tho.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Yes, there will be a pretty steep drop in performance, setting graphics to medium-high will probably bring it back, 1440p is worth it tho.
    I mean, in most situations now using DSR on Nvidia or SVR on AMD cards will get you better performance in games that are cpu dependent. A larger resolution uses more of your GPU, in a lot of games H1Z1, CS:GO, and as far as I've tested in the last few weeks 1440p can be a benefit to lower powered cpu systems.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz
    r9 290 @ 1100mhz / 5600mhz
    same qnix monitor at 96hz

i probably get 80-100 (100 max rate set) while outside questing and in dungeons, anywhere between 40-70 during raid boss depending how much is going on.
    i can't say i stare at my fps indicator all the time, but mythic raiding and even the invasions when they were super busy never made me feel like i was slugging along.

settings:
    http://i.imgur.com/nNwbK5p.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Z3uWLGc.png

i'm gonna imagine you should be fine as well, maybe turn render scaling down/off?
    have you tested at 60Hz?

that's flawless imo. smooth silky game play without a hitch. peoples standards are SO high because of how demanding other games can be, not saying that WoW isn't demanding, just saying a lot of people theorize that b/c the 1060 can't perfom at Ultra in game X, therefore it also can't at WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    I mean, in most situations now using DSR on Nvidia or SVR on AMD cards will get you better performance in games that are cpu dependent. A larger resolution uses more of your GPU, in a lot of games H1Z1, CS:GO, and as far as I've tested in the last few weeks 1440p can be a benefit to lower powered cpu systems.
    ok a few question here.
    1. Would I want to be enable SSAA then?
    2. how do i enable DSR on the 1060? Nvidia Control Panal or Geforce Experience?
    just don't want to tweak the settings incorrectly

how so? by the DSR mechanism or otherwise?

my (and anyone else's) computer hardware would produce exactly the same frame rates no matter if i had a 60hz or 144hz monitor -- as far as i am aware anyway.

if i turn my monitor to 60hz, leave my frame limit at 100 and go sit in dalaran i'll still get 100 frames spat out of my gpu, i just wont be able to see more than 60 of them on my monitor, versus 96 of them with my monitor at 96hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    have you tested at 60Hz?

that's flawless imo. smooth silky game play without a hitch. peoples standards are SO high because of how demanding other games can be, not saying that WoW isn't demanding, just saying a lot of people theorize that b/c the 1060 can't perfom at Ultra in game X, therefore it also can't at WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

ok a few question here.
    1. Would I want to be enable SSAA then?
    2. how do i enable DSR on the 1060? Nvidia Control Panal or Geforce Experience?
    just don't want to tweak the settings incorrectly

how so? by the DSR mechanism or otherwise?
    I'd have to you may want to enable SSAA because its still a lower resolution screen so while a downscaled higher res image is usually better it can work in the opposite manner as well.

I know 100% it is in the GeForce Experience, and should be somewhere in the control panel as well.

DSR will just basically add resolution options, you just pick the one you want and see how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    my (and anyone else's) computer hardware would produce exactly the same frame rates no matter if i had a 60hz or 144hz monitor -- as far as i am aware anyway.

if i turn my monitor to 60hz, leave my frame limit at 100 and go sit in dalaran i'll still get 100 frames spat out of my gpu, i just wont be able to see more than 60 of them on my monitor, versus 96 of them with my monitor at 96hz.
    But he's asking about 1440p, an increase in resolution. Which will result in worse fps at the same settings.

It's a worthwhile upgrade. I'd turn DSR off entirely and with the increase in pixel density you can turn down AA settings with little to no loss in picture quality. Beyond that some other tweaking may be needed, shadows for example. Unfortunately i'm not up to date on the 1060's performance.

GTX 1060 is not recommended for 1440p if you plan to play on max settings. You will have to drop them significantly in most games. 60 to 144Hz performance drop is very small, but it still there too.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B