Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Common courtesy is like common sense these days, neither of them are too common anymore.
    I'm glad you have this in your signature, it makes it easy for me to immediately discount your opinion on literally anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfey View Post
    Maybe if there was a serious crackdown on illegal handgun possession. And some check points for weapons in cars without permits. I would be game with national guard deployment to back up the Chicago PD. Also, there is something deeply wrong with the Chicago PD. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it wrong.
    Honestly, while it's a bad idea to have a military organization patrolling domestically, it might be better than CPD. Chicago's police have been some of the most corrupt in the US for over 100 years. Blackmail, extortion, kidnapping, torture, and murder are all things they've committed at an organizational level.
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2016-08-30 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Third largest city in the US. Top 25 in the world. I think the chance of it being a "hidden gem" are pretty much shot. (No pun intended)

Lol
    Well, perhaps "hidden gem" is the wrong phrase. In comparison to cities like NY, it is a good value due to the cultural amenities and how low the cost of living is (in really nice areas, too). Also the city is truly beautiful.

Chicago has its downsides, however. Crime (as mentioned), weather, pollution. Notorious corruption. Being in the middle of the Midwest doesn't help things, either...nothing against the Midwest, it's just flat and dull landscape-wise. Not a good locale for anyone who cares about things like mountains and hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Unless something has changed drastically over the last few years since I moved from Chicago to Portland (which I know it hasn't since I have friends/extended family that live in the area), it's not that bad--almost all the violent crime happens in certain neighborhoods on the West and South sides which are easily avoidable (and you should definitely avoid them as they're akin to war zones).

Even with rising crime rates I don't think that where crime happens in Chicago has changed much.
    The same is true for the USA as a whole. Most of the gun violence is located in a few select areas across the country, but that doesn't stop people from shitting on the USA as a whole for it. Why should Chicago be any different? Those gang infested crap holes are still part of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I only have your word to go on.

/shrug
    Yeah, must be hard to have an informed opinion without Google in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    The same is true for the USA as a whole. Most of the gun violence is located in a few select areas across the country, but that doesn't stop people from shitting on the USA as a whole for it. Why should Chicago be any different? Those gang infested crap holes are still part of Chicago.
    I don't know, I think there are cities where crime is more evenly distributed throughout the city (not that crime in Chicago *only* happens in certain areas, just that violent crime tends to happen in these areas much more than other areas of the city). Detroit is a city I wouldn't feel safe in, no matter what part of the city I was in.

I will say that in comparison to Chicago, I feel more safe here in some ways (Portland, OR) and less safe in others. Portland has a real problem with the homeless/mentally ill and it is contributing to an increase in crime rates. Although most of Portland's crime is related to property.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/or/portland/crime/

Four men dressed as police officers enter gangster Bugs Moran's headquarters on North Clark Street in Chicago, line seven of Moran's henchmen against a wall, and shoot them to death. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, as it is now called, was the culmination of a gang war between arch rivals Al Capone and Bugs Moran.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

No protests, no speeches from the President, no comments from the candidates, no attention from national media, no flurry of social media outrage.

Just "the way life is" for Chiraqis.

Oh and that boy Tavon mentioned in the first sentence was a 10 year old who got shot in the back by some fine upstanding future astronaut who just felt like driving by a random home and shooting at it. In the same period of a few hours a guy down the block was shot in the head and an older guy four blocks away was shot and killed for his pocket change.
    Seems like every month gets more violent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    It hasn't changed much in the 20+ years I've lived here. The crime is in the same poor gang-infested areas it's been in forever. This is another bait thread about how terrible Chicago is from people who haven't been here.
    Pointing out facts is now a bait thread?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    Obama has made numerous speeches on gun violence, another speech would just fall on deaf ears.
    Yep. While ignoring the real reasons for it. A bit like someone blaming their lawn mower when they mow over a yellow jacket nest and get stung. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if there was a serious crackdown on illegal handgun possession. And some check points for weapons in cars without permits. I would be game with national guard deployment to back up the Chicago PD. Also, there is something deeply wrong with the Chicago PD. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it wrong.
    Some good points. Hard for anyone to do their job if they are hamstring. A lack of enforcing the laws already on the books is one of the reasons for such violence. Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun control laws on the books. Yet, any law is only as good as the wiliness to enforce them are.

You can't get tough on crime, if you patrol the neighborhoods with high crime rates you will be told you are unfairly targeting that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Seems like every month gets more violent.
    Yes truth.

Its not only a self sustaining system but one which bolsters its own growth.

It is the permanent underclass, the most vile creation mankind has ever spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Oh well it seemed like you had something specific in mind but I guess, like some sort of proof to back up a claim My mistake never mind.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    There's basically a one year uptick in violent crimes, in several large cities. Several large cities have also seen a decrease in violent crime over the same time period.

Whether or not this uptick is an outlier, or the start of a long term trend, is too early to tell.

That being said, our cities are significantly safer than they were in the 90's.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You can't get tough on crime, if you patrol the neighborhoods with high crime rates you will be told you are unfairly targeting that neighborhood.
    I actually think there would be political support for more visible police/federal presence in these neighborhoods. Yes, some BLM guys would protest. But people who know victims should welcome some kind of visible security provided there is some outside assistance provided to the Chicago PD. I am thinking there needs to be a federal bailout at this point.

A sampling of some articles about studies of the Chicago PD.

2% of complaints against officer actions addressed
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b079b2818a0c6d

Torture
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/homan-square

40% of crime reports tossed
    http://time.com/4294074/chicago-poli...report-racism/

tasering for giggles
    http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader...l-altercations

Chicago desperately needs to default on its debt and have the scraps fed to the dogs. You literally will not be able to change anything in that city, at least fundamentally, until the gravy tap of unlimited public money is shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Great?
    10 chars
    Your sig is out of context...he was mocking people who think lime that.

Did you do that deliberately? Is that why you deliberately chose to not link to where the quote is from?

By any chance, are you also one of these guys whocomplains about "media bias" and how they spin things? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Obviously not going to reply to the OP. But yeah Google "anti violence Chicago" and I get:

http://abc7chicago.com/archive/9009544/
    http://getinchicago.org/
    http://cureviolence.org/partners/illinois-partners/

Just first 3 on Google page and I could go on. Plus one article about organizing protests/anit-violence: "Anti-violence event hopes to draw 4,000 to pray on 79th Street. From Chicago Sun Times.

I watches something on ESPN that took place in Chicago. But yeah, It is hard to look.

The violence and stats are sad, but people are not wallowing in the violence and saying "Who cares".
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2016-08-30 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people from BLM have already commented on this. They pretty much said "It's not their problem" because other groups are already focusing on the violence in Chicago.

No protests, no speeches from the President, no comments from the candidates, no attention from national media, no flurry of social media outrage.

Just "the way life is" for Chiraqis.

Oh and that boy Tavon mentioned in the first sentence was a 10 year old who got shot in the back by some fine upstanding future astronaut who just felt like driving by a random home and shooting at it. In the same period of a few hours a guy down the block was shot in the head and an older guy four blocks away was shot and killed for his pocket change.
    I don't knwo where you get no protests from... they happen pretty frequently, at least 3-4 times a year. Plus all the groups that exist for instance "moms against senseless killing" in chicago. There are tons of groups dedicated to black on black crime and there are marches and protest; however, they never get publiziced by the media. People like you don't even bother to look them up you just puppet shit you see with no actually research done on your side. *snore*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    How long before the mods from chi town come in and say chiraq isn't that bad?
    For what feels like the time on these forums... The notorious Chicago violence is confined to 3 primary neighborhoods. The rest of the city is actually quite safe.

The only people that think all of Chicago is "Chiraq" are people who read need reports and that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    The only people that think all of Chicago is "Chiraq" are people who read need reports and that's it.
    Pretty much this. If it was the war zone they grumble about you'd be hearing about mass executions in Grant Park every year during Lollapalooza.