Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    But what kind of content are they looking at adding?
    No detail's on that yet. I know they said something about building but I dough it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The devil is in the details with these procedural generators though. When advertising exploration is the primary goal of the game, every small detail that adds uniqueness or another variable to randomness, is where the freshness comes from. Where are the space gazelles running away in a large pack from space lions? Where are the redwood forests or swamps? Abandoned cities of civilizations lost? Etc.

Instead we got FF14 1.0 "towns"

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There will be free patches and they later clarified their words to say that paid DLC may happen if the content warrants it. Their originally statement of "free content updates" was being taken as never any paid content updates.
    Everything they add over the next year or two needs to be free, especially if it's content that was suppose to be in the game at launch (which is a lot of fucking stuff). And also considering the $60 price tag is basically about three times what the game is actually currently worth. If they have the gall to charge for any of it, they need to be run into the ground.......because that is one of the absolute shittiest things they could do at this point. They've already lied and scammed enough as it is, but if they start charging more for the shit that needs to be added in order to finally call it a complete game, then they need to be ruined for it. And anyone who supports a business practice like that obviously has way more money than common sense and brains.

It doesn't matter if all of it is supposed to be free. The game is supposed to be feature complete and having the features you said were in the game when it launches.
    Too many companies take the internet as a free pass to release garbage and give everyone a shit experience then fix it after everyone has already moved on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    It doesn't matter if all of it is supposed to be free. The game is supposed to be feature complete and having the features you said were in the game when it launches.Too many companies take the internet as a free pass to release garbage and give everyone a shit experience then fix it after everyone has already moved on.
    Well they did state what it definitly is and that trailers and post info might not be in the game prior to launch there are still features they allude to that are not in the game. Or if they are they are super obscure (what if they did something stupid like one specific planet is multiplayer lol).

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/w...n-no-mans-sky/
    Here is what No Man’s Sky definitely is:

Exploring a universe of pretty procedurally generated worlds, with beautiful creatures
    Trading with NPCs
    Combat against robots/mechs and cool space battles
    Survival/crafting in a universe sized sandbox
    An awesome procedural soundtrack from my genuine favourite band (check the NMS album out here)
    For one small moment, you might feel like you’ve stepped into a sci-fi book cover

That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Well they did state what it definitly is and that trailers and post info might not be in the game prior to launch there are still features they allude to that are not in the game. Or if they are they are super obscure (what if they did something stupid like one specific planet is multiplayer lol).

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/w...n-no-mans-sky/
    /facepalm

Do we really need to see another link to Sean Murray trying to cover his ass because he realized how much he fucked up?

We've already talked this around in circles several times, so it's best to let it be at this point. Regardless if semantics, gamers felt they were lied to and didn't get delivered what was promised, and thats all that matters.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We've already talked this around in circles several times, so it's best to let it be at this point. Regardless if semantics, gamers felt they were lied to and didn't get delivered what was promised, and thats all that matters.
    Current year is sure funny.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Hush. I've usually thought you were funny, but you've been TOO Garak in this thread and really fomented a lot of antagonism with your pedantry this time.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    But what kind of content are they looking at adding?
    Murray has stated that base building and the ability to fly huge freighters will be implemented. Although to be honest I don't see the point of either of those. Base building in a game that's about exploration doesn't make sense, and currently there's nothing you'd actually need a base for, other than perhaps ship/mineral storage? But that wouldn't make sense either. And giant freighters sounds fun, but again, in the game's present form I don't see what the purpose of them would be.

Edit: I would much rather they added more randomness and variety to the planet environments and space stations. Currently all the trade stations and bases look the same from a design standpoint. For example, in EVE Online there are 4 large empire factions and each one has a particular design aesthetic for its stations, and even stations of the same faction have different designs. It's not much but it adds a little variety. I'd also like to see much more variation in flora and fauna. Basically I want to land on a planet and feel like there might actually be something interesting to find.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2016-08-30 at 09:43 AM.

At this point his word is worthless. He has zero credibility left and you should believe nothing until it's literally patched into the game.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    All the shit around this game and the devs really makes me wonder if it's all one giant accident kind of thing or if they genuiniely thought they could do this and just move on.

At this point his word is worthless. He has zero credibility left and you should believe nothing until it's literally patched into the game.
    Oh I agree. He's been notably silent since his infamous "Wow so many of you are playing" tweet, probably at the insistence of an exasperated Sony executive telling him to keep his gob shut. And to be honest it's the wisest thing for him to do for now. But at some point he's going to have to explain what happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    All the shit around this game and the devs really makes me wonder if it's all one giant accident kind of thing or if they genuiniely thought they could do this and just move on.
    While I'm enjoying the game, this is not an accident. I don't think it's done with malicious intent, but I do think they knew what they were doing, OR genuinely thought they would get all those features in on time.

They should've communicated honestly the moment it became clear that they wouldn't be able to deliver on time, that's their biggest flaw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Oh I agree. He's been notably silent since his infamous "Wow so many of you are playing" tweet, probably at the insistence of an exasperated Sony executive telling him to keep his gob shut. And to be honest it's the wisest thing for him to do for now. But at some point he's going to have to explain what happened.
    They can only answer in 1 way: deliver the content through free patch updates. Fast.

Only after they've done this can he come out and say "we did not manage to deliver everything on release date that we thought we could do when I did interview X and Y and Z and blabla".

Any mea culpa or interview on the matter before that is going to fan the flames even more. You deliver first, even if it's later than promised, then you communicate. Well, technically you communicate you can't deliver as promised the moment it's obvious to you/your project that you can't...they fucked up that one.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-30 at 01:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Just how dare you to enjoy the damn game without defending every single wrong thing about it trough bullshit excuses!
    There is no place for people like you in the thunderdome.
    Ok .

Seriously though: I know they've made a huge fuck-up in their communication and they should've intervened when they could. They would've sold less copies but they wouldn't have had the refund disaster and their name wouldn't be tainted like it is now.
    However, I did get my $60 out of this game with 50 hours played now. Was it the most fun experience for $60? No, but I did get 50 hours so far out of it, which is sufficient for the investment, and I don't play games I don't enjoy. It's more of a "30 min before ending my gaming session" type of game for me now, but I'm still curious what I'll find and still amazed at the sights I see in this game.

I agree with plenty of the game-related criticisms already expressed by others, this could've been a lot more. It should've been a lot more. But is it a horrible game? Not for me. That's key, whether you like the product they delivered is entirely subjective. I enjoy it, nothing more and nothing less.

I've bought plenty of $60 titles in the past that I didn't even play for an hour . Or the plethora of $10 Steam sales titles that I have yet to install. People just need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and move on if they didn't like it. Talk with your wallet, there's no stronger message. But leave us who do get some fun out of it to discuss it here instead of going through the same motions we've went through for about 40 pages now.

The horse is dead and the stick is disintegrated. Some people would rather risk their forum account here to continue expressing an opinion that has been expressed multiple times, that doesn't add anything meaningful to the discussion anymore and creates a toxic atmosphere of ad-hominem attacks and generally just childish back & forth behavior. This thread is a dick measuring contest among toddlers and no one wants to back down and accept they have a 2 inch meat stick.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-30 at 02:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Just how dare you to enjoy the damn game without defending every single wrong thing about it trough bullshit excuses!
    There is no place for people like you in the thunderdome.
    You made them super-sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. The damage is done.

Look at The Division. They jacked it up so bad right from the beginning, that there are people who will not return no matter what they change or add to the game.

Some gamers like myself take this sort of thing pretty seriously, and aren't so easily swayed by new shinies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    They should've communicated honestly the moment it became clear that they wouldn't be able to deliver on time, that's their biggest flaw.
    This is most Dev's/Pub's biggest mistake.

I honestly believe that the majority of gamers would prefer a delayed game with transparent communication, than a game delivered on time, that is missed key content and features.

Me personally, i'll happily wait for a game to be completed if I know I am getting what I was expecting.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    The issue is that whatever they implement is left for the remaining players mainly. They can salvage their game by not having more players losing interest but in the end there is only diminishing returns left already. This isn't some MMO where players switch on and off periodically to check out the new stuff. If interest in a game especially one with singleplayer stated has faded then only absolutely - overhaul-scale - massive improvements can bring back some players. Which in the end means their own support will be probably very short-lived after all. I'd be surprised if by next year they haven't move on already and have the game on maintenance already. This isn't Blizzard which could afford even sporadically support improvements of Diablo II (!) still.

In my opinion they did not fully grasp the main issue which their own game had beforehand: More breadth isn't the issue, depth is. They were so in love with their own game that they saw it through rose-tinted goggles only being afraid of any outside scepticism they kept mostly for themselves. They believed that magical connection they had with their own game will be but a spark lighting a fire and be carried on by a vast playerbase who would feel the same. It seems to me they are more mathematicians and scientists than gamers. When a game is more interesting as a still image of itself in the form of screenshots then you know it has no place in a game library but rather, say, a Spanish modern art museum.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

IMHO they're hampered a lot by producing it for console. The algorithm needs to be constrained a lot for PS4's weak system specs.

As someone who hasn't kept up to date with this, what exactly are the complaints about this game?

I know it definitely is overpriced. I also see some people bitching about "multiplayer", but it was never going to have that in the first place.

So exactly what is the problem?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2016-09-01 at 03:11 AM.