Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either they improved their tech by a huge amount, or not as many people are playing. Logically, it is probably a combination of the two.
    One can't say either way since we have nothing but anecdotal data - but it would seem that if the game had as many people as WoD, instead of 4 hour queue times, the most popular servers would at least have seen maybe a 10-15 minute queue time? Zero queue times does get a bit suspicious in terms of actual number of people playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Seriously, people. You are delusional if you think Blizzard "just got it right" this time. I'm not denying that they improved their tech and hardware, it's obvious. But there are also way way way way less people playing this game than previously. The launch of this expansion was a non-event for people outside of the WoW fanboys circlejerk. I didn't even realize it launched today even though I've visiting this website every now and then out of boredom.
    1. No one know population numbers, and they'll hardly be known until Sunday when the majority of returning players will have signed on.

2. WoW players care about WoW, this isn't revolutionary or shocking. Non-WoW players caring about WoW would be an interesting phenomenon in Human history that should probably be studied.

3. No offense, but if you've been coming to MMO-Champion and not realized there is an expansion coming you're eithet ignorant, illiterate, or lying. I assume you're not the 1st 2, so the last option is the most obvious one.

If you're here to cause trouble and have no interest in the game I see no point in the mods allowing you to stay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    Either they improved their tech by a huge amount, or not as many people are playing. Logically, it is probably a combination of the two.
    One can't say either way since we have nothing but anecdotal data - but it would seem that if the game had as many people as WoD, instead of 4 hour queue times, the most popular servers would at least have seen maybe a 10-15 minute queue time? Zero queue times does get a bit suspicious in terms of actual number of people playing.
    WoD was unprecedented honestly. I don't believe they expected that many people to come back, and honestly they failed to deliver content, which ment many people left just as quickly.

I believe this xpack will see a more gradual rise and fall in numbers as people are hesitant to cone back after being burned so badly. It all depends on if Blizz delivers on theirptomise of getting back to quality over quantity.

If there were any significant rise in the number of players it'll be announced. They've not discussed the number of presales in any detail either, which means they were pretty low.

They cashed in their nostalgia chips with WoD and lost them. There is sure to be a expansion bump, the difference with Legion is the bump only took the playerbase back up to 3mil where WoD took them back to 10mil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    If there were any significant rise in the number of players it'll be announced. They've not discussed the number of presales in any detail either, which means they were pretty low.

They cashed in their nostalgia chips with WoD and lost them. There is sure to be a expansion bump, the difference with Legion is the bump only took the playerbase back up to 3mil where WoD took them back to 10mil.
    They said they were in line with previous expansions... so...

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Is this an indication of your servers actually are low populated?
    Nope. Still full pop.

My hope for WoW is returning... if Blizzard can keep the patch cycle's strong and avoid a content drought Legion will easily become the best expansion to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I think the real test will be during peak hours. EU is getting crapped on during theirs. Don't count your lucky stars quite yet.
    Meh. The launch already happened and it was flawless. Nothing that happens now is tied to that. If it's just laggy at primetime then honestly get the fuck over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    This low pop shit is reaching way too fucking hard. What a fucking joke. Biggest reach of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    They said they were in line with previous expansions... so...
    And that means what? If it's inline with the number of active accounts vs pre sales, that would likely have been just over a million when the statement was made. If it was a good number, they would have used it rather than vague statements.

Well I hate to be "that guy", but the game probably has fewer subscribers than any previous expansion had, which I'm sure is a contributing factor, because the servers aren't as strained. Blizzard stepped on a lot of toes with WoD, so a lot of people like my self are waiting to see how this expansion turns out before deciding whether or not to buy it.

The situation is essentially the polar opposite of WoD's launch. WoD saw an enormous hike in numbers, greater than the (at the time) resent loses, which their servers simply couldn't handle. While legion on the other hand is launching after huge declines in sub numbers, leaving them in a position where their servers can actually handle the (likely smaller) launch sub increase.

Blizzard has always offered pretty terrible service when it came to WoW's servers though, an ongoing point of criticism since vanilla launch. So its nice that the launch went smoothly this time.

Deleted
    For everyone but Outland EU, apparently.

This is definitely a step in the right direction towards Blizzards proclamation that they're going to do better this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    You know why? Because nobody's playing this crap anymore.

Infracted
    I was going to say this. Do people forget how many people QUIT? Like... They seem to be forgetting that. WoD brought the pop back up to 10m, Legion surely hasn't because people are WAITING to see if it's worth it.

Silvermoon EU is unbearable too.Working for 3 mins, frozen for 10. Not to mention it took 40 mins to log in. Lost a chest already due to lag, dying to mobs who kill me while i'm lagging. Low pop servers seem to be alright, according to people I've spoken to. So...not a great job after all
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    MMO champion has the weirdest fucking threads of any board ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Is this an indication of your servers actually are low populated?
    Most likely, as WoW Census shows only 3.5 million active players, which isn't that much higher than before expansion launch. I know I'll get crucified for mentioned WoW Census, but screw it. It's smooth because not many players have returned. Too much butt hurt from WoD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    And that means what? If it's inline with the number of active accounts vs pre sales, that would likely have been just over a million when the statement was made. If it was a good number, they would have used it rather than vague statements.
    You said 'they've not discussed the number of presales in any detail either, which means they were pretty low' - they actually did (that they are in line with previous expansions), so you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    You said 'they've not discussed the number of presales in any detail either, which means they were pretty low' - they actually did (that they are in line with previous expansions), so you're wrong.

link to where they said that please. :-)

I mean all things aside - this launch so far is the first smooth launch I've experienced in the past five years of any game. And by smooth, i mean I had absolutely zero problems - no disconnects - no bugged quests - no glitched out mobs - no random crashes - Average 50ms.

In terms of launch success, this was flawless in my eyes.
    Only took them.... how long? lol
    Good Job regardless though blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    4000 is a far cry from 10 million... but you're right! I'm sure about something...

- - - Updated - - -

Meh.. maybe 5 mill tops.
    You're joking right? Just my experience with my friends list indicates that Blizzard was 100% correct that pre-orders were in line with WoD. Nobody thought WoD was at 10m until blizzard announced it. Also, none of those WoD players by definition didn't buy the xpak, so there is no way to juke the numbers. They would have to be REALLY loose when they said that Legion preorders were in line with WoD if they were actually less than half.

The better test will be when all the people at work get on tonight.

A lot of players were asleep when Legion went live and at work for most of the day.