Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I can't say for others, but personally I didn't care about him at all when it seemed he had no shot.
    Who would vote for such a clown, they thought. Then people joined the loltrain of populism. Pundits chose to ridicule, and that fed the positive feedback loop.
    So much for dubious causality chains, but it's not uncommon today to assess that not caring back then, and not being prepared to combat the absurd, catapulted his fame.
    Failing to properly combat imbeciles, not caring, leaves the system open to said imbeciles having a chance to gain power.

That people care about, and aggressively combat, any kind of stupidity leaves that kind of imbeciles at bay.
    We may read that the US is safe from a Trudeau-type populist clown because people combat PC. People combating the other end are, apparently, less experienced, or are actually the imbeciles themselves (and, mind you, the fascist trashing is an imbecile-tier tactic), so you get Trump.
    Or we may read that having Trump is an asset to have a fairly unpopular Hilary actually appear as the reasonable alternative.

Either way, the end result is shaped by those who cared.
    It's alright to be uncaring and unconcerned. Most people are. Heck, I even applaud people that don't vote: it's their right to be unconcerned.
    However, when someone proposes that callous apathy as an ideal to follow, they'll be rightfully laughed at: because they're choosing to be entirely worthless.

Oh, yeah, and when we actually read the linked article, it turns out that much more was taking place than the title suggested. You are pretty much as biased as the people you are complaining about, just your bias is perpendicular to theirs, hence you don't see the hypocrisy.

Take a deep breath. No one is ruining the society, nothing horrible is happening, no apocalypse is approaching. I promise! /hug
    I'm not biased, you're just sheltered and naive.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I can't say for others, but personally I didn't care about him at all when it seemed he had no shot. Nor do I care much about him now, I just don't want him to win the race. And yes, people who are thrashing him every day like their life depends on it aren't much different from those who thrash Hillary or Obama daily, they are just on the other side of the same river.
    I'm glad you understand that you've made home on that river.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Who would vote for such a clown, they thought. Then people joined the loltrain of populism. Pundits chose to ridicule, and that fed the positive feedback loop.
    So much for dubious causality chains, but it's not uncommon today to assess that not caring back then, and not being prepared to combat the absurd, catapulted his fame.
    Failing to properly combat imbeciles, not caring, leaves the system open to said imbeciles having a chance to gain power.

That people care about, and aggressively combat, any kind of stupidity leaves that kind of imbeciles at bay.
    We may read that the US is safe from a Trudeau-type populist clown because people combat PC. People combating the other end are, apparently, less experienced, or are actually the imbeciles themselves (and, mind you, the fascist trashing is an imbecile-tier tactic), so you get Trump.
    Or we may read that having Trump is an asset to have a fairly unpopular Hilary actually appear as the reasonable alternative.

Either way, the end result is shaped by those who cared.
    It's alright to be uncaring and unconcerned. Most people are. Heck, I even applaud people that don't vote: it's their right to be unconcerned.
    However, when someone proposes that callous apathy as an ideal to follow, they'll be rightfully laughed at: because they're choosing to be entirely worthless.
    Well, I agree with you that not caring at all is not a virtue. There is a difference however between caring, and between making caring in a certain way into some kind of cult. Someone who spends hours weekly, googling facts about Trump and making a drama out of it, hardly helps fight off Trump; in fact, it probably leads to the opposite effect, as people don't take kindly to those who goes out of the way to push their agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Holy shit, how is Endusace still a mod? Pretty sure more trollish than Vol'jin

Political correctness might be out of control in the minds of Canadians but another poll showed Canada would vote for Clinton in a landslide vote.

Well, I agree with you that not caring at all is not a virtue. There is a difference however between caring, and between making caring in a certain way into some kind of cult. Someone who spends hours weekly, googling facts about Trump and making a drama out of it, hardly helps fight off Trump; in fact, it probably leads to the opposite effect, as people don't take kindly to those who goes out of the way to push their agenda.
    Yeah. Discussing around PC-ness is about drawing lines: where does excess begin. And there's all kinds of excesses other than the one the PC crowd engage in.
    Combating ridiculous politeness is not necessarily combating politeness: it's combating ridiculousness. But I doubt anyone would claim that this specific combat doesn't ever turn ridiculous itself: it can be excessive just as well.
    I'm not sure why there's a need to point out the obvious. Is anyone actually denying that bit?.
    What we're seeing in this thread is arguing the opposite: that any instance of combating PC is a façade for hatred or whatever. Or worse: that PC is only about politeness, which it clearly isn't. It's just folks desperately needing to bundle everything as either or. And that is stupid and should be contested.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-08-30 at 08:11 PM.

Political correctness has run its course as people are slowly moving away from television programming for information and using the internet.

Of course there is good and bad with that, because there is a lot of misinformation with the internet which leads to things like excessive use of homeopathic medicine as an example or anti vaxxers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Discussing around PC-ness is about drawing lines: where does excess begin. And there's all kinds of excesses other than the one the PC crowd engage in.
    Combating ridiculous politeness is not necessarily combating politeness: it's combating ridiculousness. But I doubt anyone would claim that this specific combat doesn't ever turn ridiculous itself: it can be excessive just as well.
    I'm not sure why there's a need to point out the obvious. Is anyone actually denying that bit?.
    What we're seeing in this thread is arguing the opposite: that any instance of combating PC is a façade for hatred or whatever. Or worse: that PC is only about politeness, which it clearly isn't. It's just folks desperately needing to bundle everything as either or. And that is stupid and should be contested.
    No, I'm personally just against criticizing concepts for the ways people abuse/misuse them. Criticize people who misunderstand the concept of political correctness and misuse it instead, if you want to be logical.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

No, I'm personally just against criticizing concepts for the ways people abuse/misuse them. Criticize people who misunderstand the concept of political correctness and misuse it instead, if you want to be logical.
    Indeed, I will criticize folks that think PC is anything but excessive. That is the point of the term: to distinguish polite from stupid. Using it in any other fashion than a pejorative is misusing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/offensive

Any other basic English words you want to feign that you don't understand the meaning of?
    The irony of your comment. You're the most intellectually dishonest person on these forums. Then when you're made a fool of, you swing that big ole ban hammer.

You're a joke of moderator and human being.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    Holy shit, how is Endusace still a mod? Pretty sure more trollish than Vol'jin
    The scrapes in his knees might offer a clue.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see most Canadians hate Tenn as well, not just MMO-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    At some point in the quest to get people to be less dicks to each other we wound up with trigger warning micro aggressions about tone. There is some happy medium where we are not insulting people to their faces while at the same time not walking on egg shells.

"People form two categories: intellectuals, and fools". That's pretty much what separation of media on "left-leaning" and "right-leaning" looks like. It is a bit more complicated than something that can be categorized in such a way. All media have agendas, simply because a media with no agenda has no reason to exist: why would a media even emerge, if it doesn't pursue any goal? It is not generalizing.
    You're saying two opposing ideas here and it doesn't make sense. You are contradicting yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

No, its illogical to act like PC is necessary or the way to go. You can easily be polite with good intentions without having to be a slave to the PC culture.

Its an issue that people think its automatically being a dick when you think PC culture has gone too far. You really aren't being logical here.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    I'm not biased, you're just sheltered and naive.
    How do you tell someone that with a straight face, when you think PC is a major issue that needs to be fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

The truth is always harsh, rude, and bitter.

Ignorance is bliss if that is what you prefer.

So choose, the red pill or the blue pill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    How do you tell someone that with a straight face, when you think PC is a major issue that needs to be fixed?
    I don't think it's a major issue, it's definitely an issue though. The only social issue I think is a major issue is unfettered immigration/illegal immigration.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, I will criticize folks that think PC is anything but excessive. That is the point of the term: to distinguish polite from stupid. Using it in any other fashion than a pejorative is misusing it.
    Wiki says otherwise, linking many reputable sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No, its illogical to act like PC is necessary or the way to go. You can easily be polite with good intentions without having to be a slave to the PC culture.

Its an issue that people think its automatically being a dick when you think PC culture has gone too far. You really aren't being logical here.
    I don't know what the "PC culture" is, but sure, you can just be generally polite without caring about all this political terminology. *shrugs*

Just watch Canadian television commercials for 5 minutes and your eyes will be stuck from the rolling.

Wiki says otherwise, linking many reputable sources.
    Wiki is fairly useless for any topic regarding controversy of any kind. And even there they make sure to note it is a pejorative with a rich history of usage as a pejorative. And they include a very long list of anecdotes where it is used as a pejorative.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-08-31 at 12:10 AM.

I don't know what the "PC culture" is, but sure, you can just be generally polite without caring about all this political terminology. *shrugs*
    Agreed, then. PC bullshit not necessary. Confirmed.