Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    So as long as I have employees it's acceptable to break the law to make money?

6,000 jobs really isn't that many, especially for a company paying a negative tax rate.

If you can make a deal with a sovereign country yup it sure is ok. Tax breaks for economic growth happen all the time and are a good way to help your economy

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    What Irish law did they break?
    Not even slightly relevant. They broke EU law. They're breaking US law as well. Who cares if the Bahamas and Ireland are ok with them breaking everyone else's laws while they reap the benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Seriously, and what could ireland do with all of that on top? That´s what you´re ignoring. Ireland already has one of the lowest corporate taxes with 12.5% on trade profits.

You´re trying to sell 40% as better than 100% while being the one dictating the rules.
    I'm ignoring nothing I'm defending Ireland's right to chose its own economic policy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Not even slightly relevant. They broke EU law. They're breaking US law as well. Who cares if the Bahamas and Ireland are ok with them breaking everyone else's laws while they reap the benefit?
    How are they breaking USA law. The USA is defending Apple here. And the EU is not a country they are a economic union. One of which looks on the verge of breaking down and it's crap like this, imposing their will against that of a nation that is accelerating their break up. Brexit is only the beginning and I'm sure they are watching crap like this and saying thank god were leaving. The British are the first but won't be the last

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm ignoring nothing I'm defending Ireland's right to chose its own economic policy
    They can´t ignore EU law, because they signed it. They´re benefiting of the EU and don´t want to adhere the rules. They also fuck over all the other irish companies in the process that have to pay more than 0.005%.

All in the name of 6000 jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They can´t ignore EU law, because they signed it. They´re benefiting of the EU and don´t want to adhere the rules. They also fuck over all the other irish companies in the process that have to pay more than 0.005%.

All in the name of 6000 jobs.

Actually as I mentioned in an article above around 1000 companies have similar deals employing 100,000 people and are responsible for 25% of the output in Ireland.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually as I mentioned in an article above around 1000 companies have similar deals employing 100,000 people and are responsible for 25% of the output in Ireland.
    And as mentioned in the article that´s only 5% of the workforce, soooo the other 95% get fucked.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Only 5% of the workforce ? I'd like to see how putting 5% middle class people to the unemployment line would work and how are the other 95% fucked? They have jobs in a lot of case because of these 5% who buy their stuff. I don't think you realize how shattered any economy would be if you unemployed 5% of its middle class workers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only 5% of the workforce ? I'd like to see how putting 5% middle class people to the unemployment line would work and how are the other 95% fucked? They have jobs in a lot of case because of these 5% who buy their stuff. I don't think you realize how shattered any economy would be if you unemployed 5% of its middle class workers.
    First of, you´re assuming all of them are middle class workers, second of, how is that fair to the 95% that aren´t working for a company that can compete on the market as good due to virtually no taxation on trade?

19b is nothing for apple, they made 54B last year.. that should be the number they have to pay back.

First of, you´re assuming all of them are middle class workers, second of, how is that fair to the 95% that aren´t working for a company that can compete on the market as good due to virtually no taxation on trade?
    Your right I am assuming the majority of the people who work for intellectual companies are middle class workers ... I am sure it evens out some are very well paid some are not as well paid but I will do a little research to see how well this assumption fits.

25% of the economic output in Ireland is from these 1000 companies ... 25% from 5% of the work force ... that's what this represents ... that's HUGE. Imagine taking 25% of the economic output away from your country ... the recession or even outright depression would be staggering .. you really think the 95% want that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    19b is nothing for apple, they made 54B last year.. that should be the number they have to pay back.
    Alright so if you saved 20k last year is OK for the government to take an additional 8k from you because obviously you didn't need it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Your right I am assuming the majority of the people who work for intellectual companies are middle class workers ... I am sure it evens out some are very well paid some are not as well paid but I will do a little research to see how well this assumption fits.

25% of the economic output in Ireland is from these 1000 companies ... 25% from 5% of the work force ... that's what this represents ... that's HUGE. Imagine taking 25% of the economic output away from your country ... the recession or even outright depression would be staggering .. you really think the 95% want that?
    How great would the economic output of the other 95% be if they had to pay virtually no taxes on trade?

How great would the economic output of the other 95% be if they had to pay virtually no taxes on trade?
    Maybe a lot .. maybe they already do pay little in taxes ... one would have to look at the Ireland budget to see exactly what they pay .. maybe these companies dont have a ton of profit to tax.

one would have to look at the Ireland budget to see exactly what they pay
    I might be being slow, but isn't that what the EU have just done. And that's why they are levying these accusations...

Lots of companies would do well not having to pay tax. Nations wouldn't do so well with 0 tax income though*.

*Oil rich Arab countries notwithstanding
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I might be being slow, but isn't that what the EU have just done. And that's why they are levying these accusations...

Lots of companies would do well not having to pay tax. Nations wouldn't do so well with 0 tax income though*.

*Oil rich Arab countries notwithstanding
    To be fair nations wouldn't have zero tax rate. The taxes from individuals in most countries far outweighs the taxes from corporations and theoretically the more money a corporation has the more it can invest in people and future product development. I would rather put 1000 people to work so they can make a living and feed their families and enjoy like than worry so much about the taxes a corporation pays. Especially since in a case like the Apple did what they promised. They came in and said give us a good tax rate and we will invest in your country, put people to work that need jobs. They did it when Ireland was hurting and I'm positive the people were very thankful for it. Now the EU walks in and goes no. What will happen to the popular opinion if this ultimately made these 1000 corporations that have benefited from this deal decided to scale back or even leave Ireland?

Here is a good article why Ireland doesn't like this ruling. The economic benefit to Ireland not just from Apple but from nearly 1000 companies in similar positions is huge. Over 100,000 people are employed by these companies and they are responsible for almost 25% of Ireland's economic output. Here read yourself

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...rom-apple.html

So it's fun to laugh at Apple paying money but what about these 100,000 well paid people? Tell them sucks to be you? If these companies left Ireland it would be in a shit load of hurt. Will the rest of the EU pay them for all the lost revenue and jobs?
    They will not.

EU has become fixated on preserving the status quo of only a few of its member states. That is why the concept of EU will never work.

The United States has poor and richer states, but overall we are still united, but still allow California and Texas to retain some personal autonomy on how they function respectively aka state rights.

The EU is saying the Irish approach to being competitive is wrong and immoral. But that makes no sense, because they have not broken any EU laws.

It is like telling Texas to stop using Wind Farms, Solar farms, and fracking, because that is not what the rest of the country is doing. If a state or nation is choosing a way to stand out and be competitive then that isn't a crime.

Germany does this all the time, but no one asks Germany to bow down to EU overlordds because they are part of the cabal....

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yeah I mean, whichever way you cut it 6000 jobs is a lot of jobs.
    Those jobs aren't going anywhere.

And even if they did, where would they go?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Those jobs aren't going anywhere.

And even if they did, where would they go?
    Back to the US where the business environment is less hostile.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Back to the US where the business environment is less hostile.
    Lol!

That won't last.

Even the GOP was taking notes from the Sanders' campaign.

Deleted
    I'm ignoring nothing I'm defending Ireland's right to chose its own economic policy.
    As part of the European Union it does not have a right to make its own economical policy; if it doesn't want to play by the rules of the European Union then it should leave, but if it does then there'll be very little reason for Apple to stay within Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    As part of the European Union it does not have a right to make its own economical policy; if it doesn't want to play by the rules of the European Union then it should leave, but if it does then there'll be very little reason for Apple to stay within Ireland.
    Apple's been in Ireland since the 80s, why now?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland