Legion running at 25FPS

I have i5 2500k OCed at 4.2ghz and gtx780, running WoW of SSD, at 1440p and result aren't great at everything Ultra. At that new Druid forest on Broken Isles, I dip below 30fps and sometimes into low 20s. Don't remember having such low results, and usually I am not a stickler for FPS, but now its affecting my gameplay a bit. My question: is it gpu or cpu? Or both? In an open world I would expect higher FPS. I can surely upgrade my GPU.... But for CPU I would need a new motherboard.

Anyone else having performance issues?

And no I am not going from 10 to 9, because different is very noticeable in graphics.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    I have i5 2500k OCed at 4.2ghz and gtx780, running WoW of SSD, at 1440p and result aren't great at everything Ultra. At that new Druid forest on Broken Isles, I dip below 30fps and sometimes into low 20s. Don't remember having such low results, and usually I am not a stickler for FPS, but now its affecting my gameplay a bit. My question: is it gpu or cpu? Or both? In an open world I would expect higher FPS. I can surely upgrade my GPU.... But for CPU I would need a new motherboard.

Anyone else having performance issues?

And no I am not going from 10 to 9, because different is very noticeable in graphics.

Thanks!
    9 and 10 are designed for high end machines, so I have no idea why you are surprised why your are having performance issues. But try turning down the shadow quality.

Check how much of your cpu is being used. bring up task manager and see what wow is using.

I notice a few more visually demanding things with Legion. Suramar lowers my frames and quite a few of the dungeons do as well with boss abilities. Everything is just so shiny or on fire. I'm running a 4790k/980ti, and will typically drop from about 100fps, to near 25 when these abilities are used. They're just very demanding. Upgrading probably won't make a noticeable difference to be completely honest.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Quote Originally Posted by benigne View Post
    9 and 10 are designed for high end machines, so i have no idea why you are surprised why your are having performance issues. But try turning down the shadow quality.
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything at Ultra might be the problem, even tho i don't know how much impact the CPU makes. But neither your CPU nor your Graphics Card are that high up the list, unless you crossed the TI from your 780 and Legion can be a bit hungry in certain environments with maximum range which you likely have on ultra. 9 and 10 are not quite THE option for you... Im just firing blindly here but maybe you want to at least turn anti-alias down as well as texture-rendering if you have both up rather far. These two points seemed to have the biggest impact to me - and i had to do a lot of tinkering to get Legion to not look like Vanilla in 2004 because im forced to play on an onboard card at the moment. Shadow Quality can also help without losing to much style.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

I have that exact same issue in the drood area in legion, my 2 4gb 770s in sli will only run at like 800 mhz in that area causing me to get like 45 fps even though the gpus aren't really being taxed along with the cpu. My cpu is a 5820k at 4.6ghz, it also seems like 64bit may be bugged at the moment because wow only uses like one thread of my cpu when it could be using some of the other 11.

There is most likely some kind of optimization issue going on causing the problem and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Benigne View Post
    9 and 10 are designed for high end machines, so I have no idea why you are surprised why your are having performance issues. But try turning down the shadow quality.
    Yea maybe if turn down shadows it may be better, I'm also thinking *16 antialiasing or whatever it's called may be the culprit.

I did go from 10 to 9, and the difference is huge, the wavy grass isn't there, some details on trees aren't there,

I'll just lower the above two and see how it goes

Yea maybe if turn down shadows it may be better, I'm also thinking *16 antialiasing or whatever it's called may be the culprit.
    Turn it down to 4 or so. It still works out okay.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Everything at Ultra might be the problem, even tho i don't know how much impact the CPU makes. But neither your CPU nor your Graphics Card are that high up the list, unless you crossed the TI from your 780 and Legion can be a bit hungry in certain environments with maximum range which you likely have on ultra. 9 and 10 are not quite THE option for you... Im just firing blindly here but maybe you want to at least turn anti-alias down as well as texture-rendering if you have both up rather far. These two points seemed to have the biggest impact to me - and i had to do a lot of tinkering to get Legion to not look like Vanilla in 2004 because im forced to play on an onboard card at the moment. Shadow Quality can also help without losing to much style.
    Yep I'm gonna try turning those down, gtx 780 isn't new by any means but it's still a solid card, I could get gtx1080 but not sure if CPU is bottle neck

At task manager it shows CPU is 100% load

Quote Originally Posted by bobdole776 View Post
    There is most likely some kind of optimization issue going on causing the problem and hopefully it will be fixed soon.
    I'm hopeful but this is unlikely. There were tons of posts during Beta about peoples FPS loss with Legion and not much has been done about it, if anything. But that might be because they put all their focus in to FOV, camera distance and nausea reports.

Deleted
    Hey, I hope I won't hijack the thread too much, but this seemed as good a place as any to ask. Would my laptop be able to run Legion without the gameplay being affected? Really, really low graphics settings would be fine as long as the gameplay is unaffected.

My specs are:
    GPU: Intel (R) HD 4400
    CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) (I just copied this from System Information, hopefully it's right)
    Ram: 8 GB

Yep I'm gonna try turning those down, gtx 780 isn't new by any means but it's still a solid card, I could get gtx1080 but not sure if CPU is bottle neck

At task manager it shows CPU is 100% load
    idk i run at 6-7 and i run an amd fx-4300 processor over clocked to 4.5 and video card is amd hd 6800 series and i run obs to stream at the same time and my cpu load is only about 75% average

Another 2 (or 3) options to check out are "environment detail" and "ground clutter" and perhaps view distance. Lowering those to 8 helped a few fps without impacting the visuals.

y.m.m.v. tho.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Stabmyheartxxx View Post
    Hey, I hope I won't hijack the thread too much, but this seemed as good a place as any to ask. Would my laptop be able to run Legion without the gameplay being affected? Really, really low graphics settings would be fine as long as the gameplay is unaffected.

My specs are:
    GPU: Intel (R) HD 4400
    CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) (I just copied this from System Information, hopefully it's right)
    Ram: 8 GB
    my laptop is pretty close to yours and i can run legion on 2 for graphics and yeah it is laggy but still playable

I have the same problem in certain areas, such as suramar. Probably optimisation problem as my CPU usage never exceeds %30.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    my laptop is pretty close to yours and i can run legion on 2 for graphics and yeah it is laggy but still playable
    Thanks for the answers mate! So you are not missing out on GCD's in 5 mans because of lag? That's my main concern.

Thanks for the answers mate! So you are not missing out on GCD's in 5 mans because of lag? That's my main concern.
    havent done 5 mans but general questing is not bad. not pretty like my desktop but still playable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    havent done 5 mans but general questing is not bad. not pretty like my desktop but still playable
    Thanks for taking your time to answer - I'll probably be back in Azeroth tonight then :-)

Thanks for taking your time to answer - I'll probably be back in Azeroth tonight then :-)
    I am sure out in the world it will be just fine and you will get your quests and stuff done. i would try to stay away from big groups if possible.