Page 25 of 113 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    67% maximum uptime for momentum is not true, its more like 90%. I have posted about it to another thread already, the gaps where you arent able to cast FR or VR are pretty rare. The momentum buff can be kept up for 89% of time.

Vr 15sec cd, +4sec momentum
    Use felrush, +4 second momentum (Vr cd remaining 11sec)
    Use felrush, +4 second momentum, (vr cd 7sec, first FR charge 6sec away)
    After momentum ends, there is 2 seconds before first charge of FR is usable again, 6 seconds for second charge and 3sec for VR cd
    After 2 seconds use FR, +4sec momentum - second charge of FR is 4 seconds away, 1 sec left VR cd
    VR is off cooldown, use it, +4sec momentum, second charge of FR usable again
    use FR, +4 sec momentum - vr cd 11sec, FR charge 6sec
    2 second gap in momentum
    use FR rush +4sec momentum, vr cd 5 sec, fr charge 4sec
    use fr +4sec momentum
    use VR, +4sec momentum
    2sec gap
    FR+4sec momentum
    FR
    VR

etc

In this time span, its 6 seconds downtime, total time playued 54seconds

6/54 = 0,111.. = 11%

89% uptime
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitre27 View Post
    I can't figure out how to download a version of sim craft that includes demon hunters.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/download.html

Downloaded the top one, it's still WoD.
    http://downloads.simulationcraft.org/

As of this post, 703-01 is the latest:

SimcSetup-703-01-Win64.exe

Quote Originally Posted by juicefruit View Post
    67% maximum uptime for momentum is not true, its more like 90%. I have posted about it to another thread already, the gaps where you arent able to cast FR or VR are pretty rare. The momentum buff can be kept up for 89% of time.
    Your math is off.

The longer a fight the more the uptime balances out.

In a 30 second window you can have 3 FR and 2 FR assuming both are off CD going into that window and no prior momentum buff.

That's 5 momentum buffs for 20 seconds. 20/30 is 66%

Obviously the shorter a fight, the more that initial two charges of FR helps. Also every minute you get two extra charges from blur. So 48/60 which is 80% (assuming you can fit those charges without coming l clipping)

Your not getting anything better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimzum View Post
    Your math is off.

The longer a fight the more the uptime balances out.

In a 30 second window you can have 3 FR and 2 FR assuming both are off CD going into that window and no prior momentum buff.

That's 5 momentum buffs for 20 seconds. 20/30 is 66%

Obviously the shorter a fight, the more that initial two charges of FR helps. Also every minute you get two extra charges from blur. So 48/60 which is 80% (assuming you can fit those charges without coming l clipping)

Your not getting anything better.
    Lets see:

0s: Use VR +1 momentum
    4s: Use FR +1 momentum
    8s: Use FR +1 momentum
    12s: Momentum ends
    13s:
    14s: Use FR +1 momentum
    18s: Use VR +1 momentum
    22s: Momentum ends
    23s:
    24s: Use FR +1 momentum
    28s: Momentum ends
    29s:
    30s:

4 seconds without momentum

4/30 = 0,13 = 13%

87% uptime, which is in the ballpark what earlier though experiment suggested. I can use 4 fel rushes instead of only 3.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 03:41 PM.

0s - FR
    4s - VR
    8s - FR
    12s - FR
    16s - Momentum Ends
    19s - VR
    23s - FR
    27s - Momentum Ends
    34s - VR
    38s - FR
    42s - Moentum Ends
    49s VR
    53s - FR
    57s - momentum ends

40 seconds out of 57 = 70%

Deleted
    0s - FR
    4s - VR
    8s - FR
    12s - FR
    16s - Momentum Ends
    19s - VR
    23s - FR
    27s - Momentum Ends
    34s - VR
    38s - FR
    42s - Moentum Ends
    49s VR
    53s - FR
    57s - momentum ends

40 seconds out of 57 = 70%

0s: Use VR
    4s: Use FR
    8s: Use FR
    12s: Momentum ends
    13s:
    14s: Use FR
    18s: Use VR
    22s: Momentum ends
    23s:
    24s: Use FR
    28s: Momentum ends
    29s:
    30s:
    31s:
    32s:
    33s: VR
    37s: FR
    41: Momentum ends
    47: FR
    51: VR
    57: FR

Last second of momentum goes beyond 60s, lets see how much downtime in 60 second window:

15/60 = 0,25

100% - 25% = 75%

75% uptime

Your calculations went from when you could have used FR at 33s but you didnt.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 04:14 PM.

1 - You're not going to VR into a fight
    2 - I'm counting 44secs of up time, not 45, which is still 73% (muuuuch less than the 90% you were boasting)
    3 - This is also complete and perfect execution.
    4 - The longer this goes on, the more the percentage goes down.

Lastly, it gets fun when you throw in the artifact trait.

Deleted
    1 - You're not going to VR into a fight
    2 - I'm counting 44secs of up time, not 45, which is still 73% (muuuuch less than the 90% you were boasting)
    3 - This is also complete and perfect execution.
    4 - The longer this goes on, the more the percentage goes down.

Lastly, it gets fun when you throw in the artifact trait.
    This is about theoretical maximum up time in 60 sec window we are talking about, your numbers are not correct.

Your calculations went wrong from when you could have used FR at 33s but you didnt, this skewes rest of the post.

Also it is 45sec uptime, watch more closely.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 04:21 PM.

This is about theoretical maximum up time in 60 sec window we are talking about, your numbers are not correct.

Your calculations went wrong from when you could have used FR at 33s but you didnt, this skewes rest of the post.

Also it is 45sec uptime, watch more closely.
    You're right I didn't because it would have clipped VR. That's the nice thing about FR you can bank one charge so you're not clipping momentum and have more uptime with VR.

Regardless if I didn't squeak the most potential momentum uptime in the first 60 seconds of a fight your original math is off.

You're looking at the whole thing in a vacuum. What happens the next minute of the fight? Or the next 3 minutes?
    My original estimate become more and more closer around 66%

Deleted
    You're right I didn't because it would have clipped VR. That's the nice thing about FR you can bank one charge so you're not clipping momentum and have more uptime with VR.

Regardless if I didn't squeak the most potential momentum uptime in the first 60 seconds of a fight your original math is off.

You're looking at the whole thing in a vacuum. What happens the next minute of the fight? Or the next 3 minutes?
    My original estimate become more and more closer around 66%
    You arent gonna clip existing momentum at 33s, because there isnt momentum up at this time.

My calculation about 75% uptime in 60 seconds is correct.

My calculation about 75% uptime in 60 seconds is correct.
    Assuming you have 2 charges to start with. AVERAGE over a longer fight will drop down to close to the 65-70% range (not taking into account blur).

Deleted
    Assuming you have 2 charges to start with. AVERAGE over a longer fight will drop down to close to the 65-70% range (not taking into account blur).
    Probably yes

- - - Updated - - -

"Paths for Fel Rush and Vengeful Retreat should also be used with care for maximum melee uptime"

If you wanted to absolutely be sure that you wont miss melee attack, ideally you always wanna VR through the boss, not sideways. Sideways VR could require you turn again at the end of VR on top of having to 180 before doing the VR. If you have to turn to be able to hit boss at the end of VR, you actually are guaranteed to miss 1 melee attack, since melee attack comes instantly after VR if you are facing boss already.

When VR'ing through the boss, you are already facing the boss at the end of VR, no need to turn at all.

So the guide is wrong regarding optimal VR path. The optimal VR path is through the boss, and the sideways is the secondary option, if we are only discussing melee uptime.

In practise, none of this has any meaning and all of those paths are just as optimal, but VRing sideways is little more risky than just going through the target.

OP is obviously talking some very theoretical benefits when choosing paths, but hes doing it wrong.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 05:32 PM.

The sideways path doesn't require you to camera turn to keep melee uptime up, and will result in a loss of swing.

The diagonal does not put your back to the boss, and will allow you to continue swinging.

It has fuckall to do with momentum uptime, which is impossible to get 80%+ for any fight of significant length (a 60s fight is essentially purposeless for any theorycrafting).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    The sideways path doesn't require you to camera turn to keep melee uptime up, and will result in a loss of swing.

The diagonal does not put your back to the boss, and will allow you to continue swinging.

It has fuckall to do with momentum uptime, which is impossible to get 80%+ for any fight of significant length (a 60s fight is essentially purposeless for any theorycrafting).
    I am talking about melee uptime, momentum was entirely different topic.

What are you talking about not requiring camera turn? You cant strife with VR, you always need to turn your back.

For VR, the safest path without losing melee uptime is through center of bosses hitbox.

Difference between VR'ing through center and sideway is that for diagonal path you turn 135 degree, and for center pathway you turn 180, this is completely irrelevant because mouse turning is instant operation, but sideway has risk that you might more easily actually end up facing away from the target or go out of melee range, while center path will always leave you facing the target and hitbox covers more area of the VR distance.

It is obvious that middle of hitbox is the best way for VR, you should edit your guide for that part.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 07:53 PM.

I am talking about melee uptime, momentum was entirely different topic.

What are you talking about not requiring camera turn? You cant strife with VR, you always need to turn your back.

For VR, the safest path without losing melee uptime is through center of bosses hitbox.

Difference between VR'ing through center and sideway is that for diagonal path you turn 135 degree, and for center pathway you turn 180, this is completely irrelevant because mouse turning is instant operation, but sideway has risk that you might more easily actually end up facing away from the target or go out of melee range, while center path will always leave you facing the target and hitbox covers more area of the VR distance.

It is obvious that middle of hitbox is the best way for VR, you should edit your guide for that part.
    It's also a fel rush pathway, which is why it's important to note.

It also depends on boss size and positioning.

TL;DR it's optimal, but not always useful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It's also a fel rush pathway, which is why it's important to note.

It also depends on boss size and positioning.

TL;DR it's optimal, but not always useful.
    I am only talking VR, and if you wanna tell your guides readers what is the most optimal VR path, it is the middle of hitbox always.

Sure, you could get cleaved in you go in front of the boss, but if we are discussing melee up time, then in that context the hitbox middle path is the optimal, its simply most reliable due to less likely ending up outside melee range or potentially facing slighly off target.

Middle path is always better or at worst equally good as diagonal path regardless of hitbox size simply because it always covers more of VR distance, the diagonal path can only be worse/only as good based on hitbox size.

So TLDR is: when ever you can, VR through middle of hitbox.
    Last edited by mmoce42ab218f1; 2016-08-31 at 08:16 PM.

I've a question about fel barrage, should we use it on single target too ? (for when we don't want to change talent in dungeon for a monotarget boss)
    Or the spell is just worth on multitarget and it's better to spam throw glaive & annihilation / chaos strike ?

So demon blades and nemesis just aren't going to compete with momentum/prepared unless it's impossible to do momentum?

Maybe I misunderstood, if that's so, I may consider rerolling away from DH. I remember seeing something where demon blades is yes, going to be the worst of all 3, but momentum is the bigger culprit here for me, I don't really want to play that style in a raid or dungeon setting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taygai View Post
    So demon blades and nemesis just aren't going to compete with momentum/prepared unless it's impossible to do momentum?

Maybe I misunderstood, if that's so, I may consider rerolling away from DH. I remember seeing something where demon blades is yes, going to be the worst of all 3, but momentum is the bigger culprit here for me, I don't really want to play that style in a raid or dungeon setting.
    Nemesis is better in pvp

Nemesis is better in pvp
    That's completely fine, but I don't really PvP. It was my fault for not specifying that. Speaking more on raid/dungeon setting.