Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would like to hear some europeans personal experience...

So, you hear the media saying that Europe is fine, everything is great and the problem are the racists.
    People from alternative media say everyone is on the edge, every women is afraid of being raped and everyone is afraid of terrorist attacks.

The fact is that, in the sources I looked, the tourism is down from 10 to 20%, depending on the country.

I am more and more coming to the realization that trying to get a job and move from my country in the next years may be a good idea (Tech professional) and I would love to hear from people that live the everyday life in Europe, how is it? Is it better or worse than 5 ~ 10 years ago? Do you really have any fears of going outside? Do you fell there is censorship?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe stop watching fox news?

It's samey.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    It is great for the most part. We have nation states in which people feel more at home and are psychologically more comfortable with, good economies, stable societies, and pretty much are ahead of most of the world in every positive regard. There are low issues with racism, and the word has both been overblown and sensationalized to the extent that even native peoples might feel it is highly problematic, when the truth is that it just is not. The biggest issues you will hear about are concerning non-European migration, because for the most part it brings no good and only trouble.

Your biggest obstacle to comfort and safety will be near immigrant neighbourhoods and areas. Stay out of them, and you'll feel well.

The whole alternative media story is mostly bunk. In the large cities are ghettos and places you don't go after dark, but that is not new. Theres always been such places, much like in the US. They've changed color, but not their nature.

You should worry more about long-term unemployment figures.

Deleted
    In Finland, it's roughly the same as it has always been although more Neo-Nazis and nationalists have emerged and frankly I'm more afraid of them than immigrants. No one that I know of from my friends and family is more afraid nowdays nor even planning to move outside of Europe, atleast what I've heard.

Same old stuff going on here, and I think it is so for most parts of EU

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Maybe stop watching fox news?
    As I said, I tried looking at both sides of the coin, but it is hard to find unbiased ones. Honestly, I doubt 100% of what any of them is truth or false, hence why I am asking here.
    My home country is not peaceful, but because there is poverty and lacks an effective punish system, it is bad, but the reason for violence is solvable with money. If people report to me actual religion-related violence in an up roaring pace, there is not many ways to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    It is great for the most part. We have nation states in which people feel more at home and are psychologically more comfortable with, good economies, stable societies, and pretty much are ahead of most of the world in every positive regard. There are low issues with racism, and the word has both been overblown and sensationalized to the extent that even native peoples might feel it is highly problematic, when the truth is that it just is not. The biggest issues you will hear about are concerning non-European migration, because for the most part it brings no good and only trouble.

Your biggest obstacle to comfort and safety will be near immigrant neighbourhoods and areas. Stay out of them, and you'll feel well.
    I am not worried about prejudice myself, my ancestors are all European, so I think anyone will hardly know I am not a native unless they hear me speaking.

Would you happen to know how bad are those neighborhoods in London, Frankfurt, Munich or Berlim? I heard that some natives are leaving the biggest cities, would you happen to know if this is truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Retailer View Post
    The whole alternative media story is mostly bunk. In the large cities are ghettos and places you don't go after dark, but that is not new. Theres always been such places, much like in the US. They've changed color, but not their nature.

You should worry more about long-term unemployment figures.
    Well, IT tends to be an area in very high demand, I don't think this may be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tranmet View Post
    In Finland, it's roughly the same as it has always been although more Neo-Nazis and nationalists have emerged and frankly I'm more afraid of them than immigrants. No one that I know of from my friends and family is more afraid nowdays nor even planning to move outside of Europe, atleast what I've heard.

Same old stuff going on here, and I think it is so for most parts of EU
    I think Finland was not as sought after by migrants, unfortunately - for me - it's very hard to come by an open position in Finland (they are mostly on UK, Germany and Netherlands, but you can find in other countries but the Nordic ones).
    Last edited by Knolan; 2016-08-31 at 05:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You won't be finding just one answer to your question because Europe isn't this singular thing that groups the people in just one category. There's literally third world countries within the continent. Different parts have vastly different cultures, political structures, living standards et cetera..

I think you'd have to be completely nuts if you feared terrorism or being raped in Finland. The threat is just not there. You'll be much more likely to be hit by a car on your way to the grocery store. Then again people are weird. Censorship? Compared to what? Our standard of the freedom of speech is one of the highest in the world but you'll never get truly rid of censorship.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2016-08-31 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it depends on the area and country you are planning to move to.

Firstly it vary country to country (for example UK has slightly less issue but then it is mostly due to us unwilling to take refugee in), and even after choosing your country, it vary between town to town, some town are worse than others.

It is best if you just say which country and which town you planning to move to, and people in that area can give you a better view specific to that area.

First, thanks for all the answers so far, they have been very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    You won't be finding just one answer to your question because Europe isn't this singular thing that groups the people in just one category. There's literally third world countries within the continent. Different parts have vastly different cultures, political structures, living standards et cetera..

I think you'd have to be completely nuts if you feared terrorism or being raped in Finland. The threat is just not there. You'll be much more likely to be hit by a car on your way to the grocery store. Then again people are weird. Censorship? Compared to what? Our standard of the freedom of speech is one of the highest in the world but you'll never get truly rid of censorship.
    It is good to hear from multiple countries, my main concern is that this is not a temporary issue or it is spreading to the whole continent. I have wife and we plan on having kids, so, naturally I am worried about safety of women and children as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I would say it depends on the area and country you are planning to move to.

Firstly it vary country to country (for example UK has slightly less issue but then it is mostly due to us unwilling to take refugee in), and even after choosing your country, it vary between town to town, some town are worse than others.

It is best if you just say which country and which town you planning to move to, and people in that area can give you a better view specific to that area.
    Most positions are for Germany, Portugal, UK and Netherlands, those are positions that offer visa support, but once inside Europe, is not that hard to move, as long as you have a job.

In Germany it has not really changed. There is some fearmongering by right wing parties and movements like PEGIDA. There was the new years eve in cologne that led to the decision to make stricter laws and recruit more policemen.
    In my city (quite small with ~160k inhabitants) it has not changed a bit. No criminality that is worth speaking of, well we had a male nurse who killed many people by giving them wrong meds so he could proof that he can "defeat death" by reviving them afterwards, but you can go everywhere by night. You even see girls and women cycling and walking around alone at night playing Pokemon Go.
    In the bigger cities it is just as in every bigger city in the western world. There are districts where you have to be cautious especially at night. But there are no "No-Go areas" in Germany. There are districts where the police will come with more than just one patrol if they get called there though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always wear a stab proof vest now

I can't think of a single thing that changed my life here in Germany. Granted, I live far up in the north, so we were never a juction for the redistribution, but my city was also the gateway city for Scandinavia. Guess that equals itself out.

The only time I even saw a big lot of refugees was at the central station of Flensburg, which is literally on the Danish border. The crime rates haven't skyrocketed, there have been 3 incidents that were big in local media, 2 of them proved to be a lie. I haven't personally seen extra security at clubs or supermarkets or witnessed someone getting harassed. Haven't heard any of my friends (lots of women and homosexuals) tell a different tale.

Seems pretty tame for a country that is being mocked Germanistan. Rednecks gonna redneck, don't listen to them and unless only the sight of someone with brown skin offends you, you will be fine.

If you are still super worried about it, I think Netherlands and UK would be more to your liking? UK is a big shithole imo apart from London and Scotland, but you may be more in line with their policies regarding this whole thing. Netherlands is honestly pretty much like Germany, with bigger tendencies to elect rather right parties in the upcoming elections.

Portugal is lovely and has a rather small refugee population afaik, but they have their own economical problems. But if you have a well-paying and secure job in Portugal, it may the best option for you. Lovely country.

I have over a dozen uncles and aunts, and lots of cousins in Netherland, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and a cousin in Belgium (Brussels to be exact). We keep in close touch through FB and Whatsapp, and they don’t seem to be concerned. I went on a Christmas river cruise last year, and did not encounter anything unusual.

Deleted
    Terrorist isn't on my mind all that much, you might catch me paying a bit more attention to my surroundings when I'm at the airport or such, but otherwise I don't feel I've changed my behavior. The same goes for friends and family. It's obviously a concern, but not one that affects everyday life significantly.

Rape isn't common as far as I know; but I live in a small city surrounded by villages and farmland. I'd expect it to be more of a concern in a large city.

I wish tourism was down... too many tourists in my street during the weekend.

The only issue I have regarding censorship is that you need a permit to protest.

It is worse than 10 years ago, but that's to be expected. We are a still in a financial crisis, have a refugee crisis and the European Union is in a political crisis. But most of those don't affect day to day life in the short run.

This is for the Netherlands.

Deleted
    If you are an asylum seeker or a refugee, you might have a rough time. In 2015 there were more than 1000 attacks on asylum seeker and refugee facilities. If you are not black or brown, you will not have the problem of receiving hate simply because you are not white.

If you are afraid of being raped or killed in a terrorist attack, you might aswell never leave your house no matter where you live.

The only areas I would not recommend are poor east german towns or cities, they are controlled by neo nazis and hooligans and very depressed and unhappy people in general. My favorite cities are Hamburg, Munich and Cologne.
    Berlin has no charme I don't like that city.

I'm from the US, but I've traveled the world. I haven't seen much difference going from, say, New York to Paris, or New Orleans to Rome. This has spanned 20+ years, and I've lived in Europe for a significant amount of that time.

Go where you will.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

My town has down down the shithole in the last 10 years. Beggars everywhere, car fires and a lot of illegal camping, littering rtc.

It's a lot worse and we have some districts in town any sane person should stay away from at all times which have become pure slums.

/Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I can't think of a single thing that changed my life here in Germany. Granted, I live far up in the north, so we were never a juction for the redistribution, but my city was also the gateway city for Scandinavia. Guess that equals itself out.

The only time I even saw a big lot of refugees was at the central station of Flensburg, which is literally on the Danish border. The crime rates haven't skyrocketed, there have been 3 incidents that were big in local media, 2 of them proved to be a lie. I haven't personally seen extra security at clubs or supermarkets or witnessed someone getting harassed. Haven't heard any of my friends (lots of women and homosexuals) tell a different tale.

Seems pretty tame for a country that is being mocked Germanistan. Rednecks gonna redneck, don't listen to them and unless only the sight of someone with brown skin offends you, you will be fine.

If you are still super worried about it, I think Netherlands and UK would be more to your liking? UK is a big shithole imo apart from London and Scotland, but you may be more in line with their policies regarding this whole thing. Netherlands is honestly pretty much like Germany, with bigger tendencies to elect rather right parties in the upcoming elections.

Portugal is lovely and has a rather small refugee population afaik, but they have their own economical problems. But if you have a well-paying and secure job in Portugal, it may the best option for you. Lovely country.
    From the around the web, people mostly say that Switzerland and Austria would be the safest places, but they never open positions there. The main exception is Google on Zürich, but as you can imagine, it is quite hard to get into, I want to try, but I still want to study much more (I tried Amazon this year, got to the final part but wasn't selected... well at least I got a free trip).

Netherlands seems very nice, I have a friend working there and he absolutely loves the place, but most positions are for front end development, which is not my area of expertise. I will keep tracking open positions there. I was told that Portugal economy was in a very tricky place with an incoming house crisis, but I will take a look nonetheless.

Thanks a lot.

It's the same here as it's always been, were in germany last week and didnt see any difference nor did I expect any, 1mill refugees does not change a country like germany, were in spain last month and didnt see any difference nor did I expect any (and I doubt spain will get anymore terrorists attack after the one in 2004), 1mill refugees does not change a country like germany.

Sure you'll see alot more police on the streets in france, but let's be real, there are far more people dying from traffic in france than terrorist attacks.

It's like the US, some cities have bad neighbourhoods, dont go there at night and why would you tbh.

And just fyi, switzerland is the most xenophobic country in Europe, also towards other westerners.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2016-08-31 at 07:44 PM.