Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why I,as a Highlord, a faction that unified all paladins,still take orders from Genn?

If i rmemeber correctly, the whole lore for class halls is for all warriors of a specific class to unite, join forces, and fight the legion. As a paladin, and the new Highlord of the Silver Hand, called for all the paladins to join. So i have the Blood Knights, Sunwalkers [ horde ], the triunvirate of the hand [ alliance ] and others. We are supposed to forget factions to fight as one. I am totally ok by that. So why i still take orders from the leaders of the Alliance and attack the Horde in Stormheim? Dontu guys think that Liandrin would be a lil pissed to know that i am still taking part in the Alliance - Horde war?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just literally thinking that but with Nathanos Blightcaller on my Paladin today.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

That is why i dont like this thing of beeing super important and shit. If im the leader of the paladins, regardless of faction, the quests should have been more neutral

Genn is the problem ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the informal power structure would be Faction leaders (and their direct lieutenants) > Class leaders (e.g. you in your class) > Field generals and commanders > everyone else. You're still subordinate to Nathanos or Genn, as you're still a partisan in your chosen faction of Horde or Alliance. The Class Order Halls are a parallel command structure working alongside, and often in spite of, the factions to combat the Legion threat.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by life-binder View Post
    genn is the problem ...
    lol xd.................

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the informal power structure would be Faction leaders (and their direct lieutenants) > Class leaders (e.g. you in your class) > Field generals and commanders > everyone else. You're still subordinate to Nathanos or Genn, as you're still a partisan in your chosen faction of Horde or Alliance. The Class Order Halls are a parallel command structure working alongside, and often in spite of, the factions to combat the Legion threat.
    Hummmm i dont agree, like i said imagine if the blood knights and sunwalkers discover that im fighting for the Alliance still while they arent for the horde.

It's my headcanon that the people taking part in the quests serving Genn and Sylvanas are being performed by people who aren't the order hall leaders. I haven't done any of the quests yet, though, so if they're directly referencing the fact that you, the leader of the Silver Hand, are helping them, and being like "I knew the Silver Hand would take OUR side", then that'll have to be completely thrown out the window.

Those kinds of quests are easily explained when you're just some faceless adventurer working for your faction, but when Blizzard sticks a silent protagonist into such a pivotal role as being the leader of a huge group of people, things get iffy. And it leads to questions like "well, there can only be one Highlord of the Silver Hand lorewise, and if both Sylvanas AND Genn go on about how the Highlord of the Silver Hand is taking their side in the fight, and the Highlord does take part in the fight against one side, then which is canon, a Horde leader or an Alliance leader of the Silver Hand?"

Personally, Alliance leaders make the most sense almost all across the board. Or they at least fit much better into the class fantasy Blizzard is forcing onto every single very different culture's take on what being (insert class) means.

Alliance mage leader because why in the heck would any Blood Elf mage care enough about Dalaran and the Kirin Tor to lead them, after being betrayed twice by them, and then being made to be the ones in the wrong who have to make reparations to an unapologetic Kirin Tor, and why in the heck would anyone think an orc who'd have been studying magic for no more than 3 years since Cata be masterful enough to lead all these other magi, and why would the Kirin Tor/Alliance magi trust a Forsaken or Troll to lead them, and why would a Goblin care enough about anything besides gold to lead them?

Alliance paladin leader because a Blood Knight or Sunwalker would never choose a cramped human basement of a tiny vulnerable chapel as their base of operations. They'd choose the very fortified and defensible city of Tyr's Hand that looks way cooler and has red rooftops, which makes it look even way better.

Really the only order hall I'd think a Horde character makes more sense as leader of would be shaman, because dwarves and draenei shaman are lame.

Warlocks, demon hunters, and death knights seem like they wouldn't care much about the faction conflict, and belong more to their own organization and only send their members to their respective race's faction because those factions are too petty to accept someone who looks like a member of the opposing faction.

Priest Alliance because Troll priests don't worship the Light, they worship the Loa, and lorewise are completely different from human holy priests. And same with shadow priests. Shadow priests are only there because of gameplay. If the rules were based solely on lore, and they were inviting Shadow Priests in, they would also have to happily invite Warlocks and Mages, both also completely different, but because they wear cloth robes and do magic, they'd be the same in their eyes.

Rogues human most because Dalaran base, and they're one of the few with a dedicated rogue faction (SI:7) that's been developed a bunch. People would just be confused if Blizzard had the MU Horde's Shattered Hand be prominent now after making them murder like all of the AU Shattered Hand in WoD.

Druid night elf obviously.

The others could go any direction, with hunters, warriors, etc.

But some make more sense than others, and others are very lore-breaking, but if Blizzard is giving two interpretations as canon lore that both contradict each other, then that's a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you are not the president of azeroth, you are still part of the faction you chose hence you must obey the leaders of your faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Minah View Post
    lol xd.................Hummmm i dont agree, like i said imagine if the blood knights and sunwalkers discover that im fighting for the Alliance still while they arent for the horde.
    And they'd be like "Hey! Highlord! We didn't give up our lives for you to recover the Ashbringer and go use it against [Sylvanas/Genn]! That's not why Tirion gave you leadership of the Crusade!"

And about the "lol xd...." Sylvanas may have attacked Gilneas 4 years ago on Garrosh's orders and has never renewed the conflict since Garrosh was removed from power, but that doesn't mean Genn has to open that can of worms right now with the Legion threatening to destroy the world.

Genn's misunderstanding of what happened at the Broken Shore doesn't make it right, it makes him dumb for not bothering to investigate the reasons for the Horde's retreat and gives him confirmation bias.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Because you are not the president of azeroth, you are still part of the faction you chose hence you must obey the leaders of your faction.
    Except the whole thing with the order halls is that Blizzard was like "the factions are busy fighting each other so it's up to you to unite your class and take the fight to the Legion"

Thrall was leader of the Earthen Ring and got the Dragon Soul for the sole purpose of defeating Deathwing. He didn't take it and blow up Stormwind Keep.

Please lets focus the topic in discussing reasons and why stuff, rather then saying about Genn, i already did a tpic aboutt his lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    Thrall was leader of the Earthen Ring and got the Dragon Soul for the sole purpose of defeating Deathwing. He didn't take it and blow up Stormwind Keep.
    This explains perfect what i meant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Hummmm i dont agree, like i said imagine if the blood knights and sunwalkers discover that im fighting for the Alliance still while they arent for the horde.
    The Blood Knights and/or Sunwalkers aren't the Class Order, though; they're faction-specific subsets of the class itself. Insofar as I know none of the Order Hall missions are partisan-centric (e.g. they don't directly help or hinder the Horde or Alliance), but rather deal directly with confronting the Legion or working to find the Pillars of Creation in pursuit of the same. They put themselves above the faction conflict, trying to stay out of the quicksand and protect Azeroth as a whole (because the two main factions obviously don't have that at the forefront of their interests at the present).

I've not experienced every Order Hall campaign just yet, though; so it's possible there's some Horde vs. Alliance infighting in the mix there too.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I don't quite recall "attacking the Horde" in Stormheim, by the time you get there, the Forsaken have blight bombs all around the camp, after they blew you from the sky already. A bit of a difference I would think than just charge out and starting things with them.

This explains perfect what i meant.
    Right. It's silly and dumb if Sylvanas and Genn address you as the leader of your Order Hall while you're breaking your neutrality to kill the allies of half your Order Hall, or possibly even a member of your Order Hall who, like you, has decided that the world-ending threat of the Legion isn't that bad, and that they should instead participate in a petty fight between Sylvanas and Genn.

Then you'd get back to the Order Hall and be like "man, those [Horde/Alliance] were tough to kill, but I got 'em, no-good [Horde/Alliance] bastards. Oh hey, [Liadrin and Aponi/Grayson, Valgar, and Boros]! Just got back from using Silver Hand resources painstakingly recovered at your expense to murder your friends. I could go for a sandwich now, anybody else want a sandwich? But not you, I need you to go out and get some more Order Hall resources. Those weapon enhancements to Ashbringer aren't gonna get themselves, and I'll need them tomorrow when I go back to murder more of your friends."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't quite recall "attacking the Horde" in Stormheim, by the time you get there, the Forsaken have blight bombs all around the camp, after they blew you from the sky already. A bit of a difference I would think than just charge out and starting things with them.
    Given the history Blizzard has with things like this, I wouldn't be surprised if the quests were each designed to make the other faction look bad (I haven't done them yet, so I don't know for sure yet, though) so it's possible that Alliance players don't get the full story, and vice versa, so as to fuel the forum-fighting and keep the factions at each other's throats.

They did design the Alliance's perspective of the Broken Shore to make them believe the Horde had betrayed them and left them to die just to be mean, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    no the class hall especially the shaman and paladin one make you the commander of the earthen ring and argent crusade, so you are now the new neutral faction leader. It don't make any sense to receive command from a horde/alliance leader, the only reason is as always shitty game mechanics and blizzard quest writers probably working without coordinating themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    On the horde side, you're all on boats about to go look for the pillar in stormheim when the alliance gunship starts blasting your boats from behind a cloud and then SI:7 paratroopers land on the boats and try to kill everyone. The entire thing was 100% unprovoked and was entirely the alliance's fault. The blight bombs were placed in retaliation to the alliance trying to kill the forsaken, same with the gunship getting blown out of the sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    On the horde side, you're all on boats about to go look for the pillar in stormheim when the alliance gunship starts blasting your boats from behind a cloud and then SI:7 paratroopers land on the boats and try to kill everyone. The entire thing was 100% unprovoked and was entirely the alliance's fault. The blight bombs were placed in retaliation to the alliance trying to kill the forsaken, same with the gunship getting blown out of the sky.
    That's pretty how it goes Alliance side, one minute you're just doing preperations, the next, fight goes down. Really there's no single blame. It's just the narrative trying to tell you "SEE THIS SIDE IS ATTACKING YOU!"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    no the class hall especially the shaman and paladin one make you the commander of the earthen ring and argent crusade, so you are now the new neutral faction leader. It don't make any sense to receive command from a horde/alliance leader, the only reason is as always shitty game mechanics and blizzard quest writers probably working without coordinating themselves.
    I guess some of it you might have to reduce to story vs. game-play inconsistencies, which would be why I've got Kayn Sunfury occasionally dive-bombing Alliance paratroopers and soldiers in Stormheim. A single character can't really experience the full storylines without a bit of intermingling here and there - but in the context of the faction storyline and the Order Hall campaign storyline I don't think there's a lot in the way of conflicting purposes. You're not killing your the opposite faction's Order Hall luminaries or fellow members in the pursuit of the Order Hall's objectives. The rest, well, I suppose you'd have to say it requires a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Given the history Blizzard has with things like this, I wouldn't be surprised if the quests were each designed to make the other faction look bad (I haven't done them yet, so I don't know for sure yet, though) so it's possible that Alliance players don't get the full story, and vice versa, so as to fuel the forum-fighting and keep the factions at each other's throats.

They did design the Alliance's perspective of the Broken Shore to make them believe the Horde had betrayed them and left them to die just to be mean, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    I'm going to be completely honest, I don't think most Alliance have seen the intro to Stormheim yet since it was buggy as hell to launch, and it autoskipped the cutscene, but it definitely made it seem as if it was provoked because suddenly you're just surrounded by Forsaken bats.

But yes, it's most likely the case of making the other side look bad, which in this case is probably actually part of the Legion trying to make both factions fight each other instead if anything though. I have no doubt about that, I just meant from the point of the character, it was the Horde who initiated, so they're just defending themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    we as adventurers aren't part of the faction we are part of a race and can freely chose to support them or kill them, it's not like only the president can have an opinion and decide to tell them well fuck you i'm not going to help in this (or even actively disrupt the plan).
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    And they'd be like "Hey! Highlord! We didn't give up our lives for you to recover the Ashbringer and go use it against [Sylvanas/Genn]! That's not why Tirion gave you leadership of the Crusade!"

And about the "lol xd...." Sylvanas may have attacked Gilneas 4 years ago on Garrosh's orders and has never renewed the conflict since Garrosh was removed from power, but that doesn't mean Genn has to open that can of worms right now with the Legion threatening to destroy the world.

Genn's misunderstanding of what happened at the Broken Shore doesn't make it right, it makes him dumb for not bothering to investigate the reasons for the Horde's retreat and gives him confirmation bias.

- - - Updated - - -

Except the whole thing with the order halls is that Blizzard was like "the factions are busy fighting each other so it's up to you to unite your class and take the fight to the Legion"

blizzard decided to make alliance the aggresore for once. blizzard wanted to have a new conflict between the alliance and the horde. the reason and how it happened was stupid but that is blizzard's writing. it's not genn that is dumb here but how blizzard wrote all this up. but obviously they wanted FOR ONCE to make the alliance attack first, thus they used genn out of a sudden because of his past history with sylvanas.

plus sylvanas wanted to enslave the val'kyr for her. please don't tell me that she wanted to use them against the legion. because odyn's val'kyr already fight against the legion. it was a personal matter firstly and you know it. so why can't genn have his own agenda if sylvanas can too? they both do. we don't have to like it but it works. at least they get development unlike other characters that are completely in the shadows, unfortunately.