Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty how it goes Alliance side, one minute you're just doing preperations, the next, fight goes down. Really there's no single blame. It's just the narrative trying to tell you "SEE THIS SIDE IS ATTACKING YOU!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm going to be completely honest, I don't think most Alliance have seen the intro to Stormheim yet since it was buggy as hell to launch, and it autoskipped the cutscene, but it definitely made it seem as if it was provoked because suddenly you're just surrounded by Forsaken bats.

But yes, it's most likely the case of making the other side look bad, which in this case is probably actually part of the Legion trying to make both factions fight each other instead if anything though. I have no doubt about that, I just meant from the point of the character, it was the Horde who initiated, so they're just defending themselves.
    At least in the alpha, the alliance were there specifically to launch an attack of opportunity on the forsaken fleet because they learned Sylvanas would be there. Genn even says he doesn't track something unless he intends to kill it. The forsaken were there to get the pillar. The alliance were there for revenge (because they're not smart enough to ask Sylvanas why they retreated from broken shore apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I guess some of it you might have to reduce to story vs. game-play inconsistencies, which would be why I've got Kayn Sunfury occasionally dive-bombing Alliance paratroopers and soldiers in Stormheim. A single character can't really experience the full storylines without a bit of intermingling here and there - but in the context of the faction storyline and the Order Hall campaign storyline I don't think there's a lot in the way of conflicting purposes. You're not killing your the opposite faction's Order Hall luminaries or fellow members in the pursuit of the Order Hall's objectives. The rest, well, I suppose you'd have to say it requires a bit of suspension of disbelief.
    Though it's partly that ... it's more of telling the story that started with the Broken Shore. A big story arc for this expansion is Forsaken vs Worgen.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I guess some of it you might have to reduce to story vs. game-play inconsistencies, which would be why I've got Kayn Sunfury occasionally dive-bombing Alliance paratroopers and soldiers in Stormheim. A single character can't really experience the full storylines without a bit of intermingling here and there - but in the context of the faction storyline and the Order Hall campaign storyline I don't think there's a lot in the way of conflicting purposes. You're not killing your the opposite faction's Order Hall luminaries or fellow members in the pursuit of the Order Hall's objectives. The rest, well, I suppose you'd have to say it requires a bit of suspension of disbelief.
    i simply want blizzard to stop trying to give us leadership roles, it has always be fine for the adventurers to be sellsword acting for rewards there is no need to over complicate things and let it become a giant bs fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite recall "attacking the Horde" in Stormheim, by the time you get there, the Forsaken have blight bombs all around the camp, after they blew you from the sky already. A bit of a difference I would think than just charge out and starting things with them.
    -Spoilers-

Not to turn this into a faction flame war but, from my understanding the Alliance bombed the Undead/Horde ships the pc, Sylvanas, etc were on. Angered Blightcaller has the horde pc fly up there, lay bombs near the canons, and fight Genn.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaikal21 View Post
    blizzard decided to make alliance the aggresore for once. blizzard wanted to have a new conflict between the alliance and the horde. the reason and how it happened was stupid but that is blizzard's writing. it's not genn that is dumb here but how blizzard wrote all this up. but obviously they wanted FOR ONCE to make the alliance attack first, thus they used genn out of a sudden because of his past history with sylvanas.

plus sylvanas wanted to enslave the val'kyr for her. please don't tell me that she wanted to use them against the legion. because odyn's val'kyr already fight against the legion. it was a personal matter firstly and you know it. so why can't genn have his own agenda if sylvanas can too? they both do. we don't have to like it but it works. at least they get development unlike other characters that are completely in the shadows, unfortunately.
    Yeah, it was likely orchestrated by Detheroc posing as Mathias Shaw, as discovered in the rogue campaign.

I haven't done the Stormheim quests yet, so I don't know, and will make no judgements about Sylvanas "enslaving" any Val'kyr just yet. My initial speculation is that she's going to interact with these holy val'kyr and they'll come to some kind of understanding.

If you don't have a canon source saying she's going there to enslave them, then show me, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, don't present your headcanon as fact.

I'm doing Azsuna first, so when I do Stormheim, I'll see for myself.

I was under the impression that she was there to find a pillar of creation.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2016-08-31 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    sylvanas wanted to enslave the val'kyr for her. please don't tell me that she wanted to use them against the legion.
    She is the new Warchief of the Horde, so yes, it would help against the legion if she can ensure that her people can be raised in the event that they are killed by demons in the field.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    At least in the alpha, the alliance were there specifically to launch an attack of opportunity on the forsaken fleet because they learned Sylvanas would be there. Genn even says he doesn't track something unless he intends to kill it. The forsaken were there to get the pillar. The alliance were there for revenge (because they're not smart enough to ask Sylvanas why they retreated from broken shore apparently).
    To be fair, the Alliance is there to get the pillar as well. It's one of the thigs Rogers say to you when you get on the Skyfire. It's actually the very first thing she says.
    I say this because you made it sound like the Alliance's only reason to be there it to specifically attack the Forsaken, something that's not true.

That's not quite what's said on live. You're told by Rogers that you're there to secure the pillar of creator/whatever, and to keep tabs on Sylvanas, and engage if needed, which she suspects will be needed. Then, Genn says he hopes it is, because he doesn't track unless it's to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Felmourn View Post
    -Spoilers-

Not to turn this into a faction flame war but, from my understanding the Alliance bombed the Undead/Horde ships the pc, Sylvanas, etc were on. Angered Blightcaller has the horde pc fly up there, lay bombs near the canons, and fight Genn.
    That's the Horde version apparently, the Alliance one I'll have to check later to see if it actually plays for me to see.

You just have to handwave a lot of stuff in MMOs. The day to day gameplay will never make sense if you try to enforce the lore.

It gets really weird with bodyguards. There are exceptions like Warriors(because Blizzard hates Warrior lore, apparently, and nothing about the Warrior class story actually involves Azeroth Warriors) and Death Knights(because I'm sure Kolitra hates Sylvanas after being imprisoned all that time), but most of the bodyguards are famous faction members. If you try to make sense of Vindicator Boros standing by your side while you slaughter Alliance your head will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    Yeah, it was likely orchestrated by Detheroc posing as Mathias Shaw, as discovered in the rogue campaign.

I haven't done the Stormheim quests yet, so I don't know, and will make no judgements about Sylvanas "enslaving" any Val'kyr just yet. My initial speculation is that she's going to interact with these holy val'kyr and they'll come to some kind of understanding.

If you don't have a canon source saying she's going there to enslave them, then show me, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, don't present your headcanon as fact.

You'll see when Stormheim is done then.

If you don't care for spoilers though-

Sylvanas literally has one of their god people (I forget their name) bound and chained up by a magic lantern thing given to her by another one of the god people things (I'm sorry I'm bad at remembering names). I can't imagine a situation where she'd be getting yelled at by a god basically that would be one that she isn't trying to enslave them

That's the Horde version apparently, the Alliance one I'll have to check later to see if it actually plays for me to see.
    It was entirely started by Genn. It's not really debatable. Both sides have their main objective(the Aegis) and their secondary objective. Genn was out for revenge for what he saw as a betrayal at the Tomb of Sargeras and Sylvanas was out to woo the Val'kyr. The Alliance cinematic is literally just the Alliance gunship pulling up over the Forsaken fleet and opening fire. There was no provocation.

You sound pretty angry for someone who just admitted they have no idea what they're talking about. That is literally what Sylvanas is there for. She sends Nathanos to secure the Aegis and she goes to work out a deal with Helya, who gives her some magical item that allows her to control the Val'kyr. She is torturing their leader - Eyir - with it when the player and Genn show up, and Genn ruins her plans.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2016-08-31 at 11:08 PM.

Deleted

i haven't done the horde quests but i guess you have seen the video? the sylvanas vs greymane one. she made a pact with Helya to bind/control the Val'kyr queen. and genn was there to ruin her plans. (if you think about it in a way geen may have ''saved'' sylvanas there. i mean, nothing good comes to a character in wow when he/she gets plenty of power....at least most of the times).

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    She is the new Warchief of the Horde, so yes, it would help against the legion if she can ensure that her people can be raised in the event that they are killed by demons in the field.
    i'm not saying that it wouldn't help her people, i just said that she has her own agenda like greymane. but odyn's valkyr already fight the legion, that's the point. sylvanas just wanted to bind the queen in order to create more forsaken. i repeat i am not saying that i'm against this act but i just don't find it very...nice, it's cruel.

Both sides ''officially'' were there for the pillar, but both leaders had their own agenda.

- - - Updated - - -

Well after i read all of this, i came to one conclusion....see if u agree....
    We are the leaders of our classes, so we are kinda neutral. But from a lore perspective, we are not the ones who did ALL OF THE QUESTS I NTHE GAME. For example, we didnt didthe main quests in all areas of Northrend, other people did it. So when we play at stormheim, we are kidna playing ''another '' character. Who isnt [in my case ] the Highlord, but an Alliance paladin who isnt with the Silver Hand. Just like in the lore, we didnt get the Ashbringer, Thunderfury, Atiesh, and other stuff.

Same reason Saurfang took orders from Thrall. Be believes in his leadership and wants to help the faction as much as possible.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felmourn View Post
    I was just literally thinking that but with Nathanos Blightcaller on my Paladin today.
    I have to love Nathanos for that, kicking the 'hero' down several pegs when blizzard tries to hype the PC up so badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Sylvanas literally has one of their god people (I forget their name) bound and chained up by a magic lantern thing given to her by another one of the god people things (I'm sorry I'm bad at remembering names). I can't imagine a situation where she'd be getting yelled at by a god basically that would be one that she isn't trying to enslave them
    The lantern is a gift from Helya, the Val'kyr goddess of the Vrykul underworld, and the silvery golden Val'kyr Sylvanas is trying to imprison is Eyir, the queen of Odyn's good-aligned Val'kyr.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    i repeat i am not saying that i'm against this act but i just don't find it very...nice, it's cruel.
    I'm not saying it's not, it absolutely is a terrible thing to do to bind a sentient being in servitude. It's beyond cruel.

I just contend the point that it only serves her or the Forsaken. To be fair, they are going to go extinct without the ability to reproduce, and that must be terrifying as well even for Forsaken who are not scared easily. It also serves the Horde and Azeroth as a whole, because without the Forsaken the Horde is much, much weaker and without the Horde Azeroth will die. It's a dire situation all around and dire situations bring out the best and the worst in people / places / things. All nouns I guess.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account

Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I have to love Nathanos for that, kicking the 'hero' down several pegs when blizzard tries to hype the PC up so badly.
    It was humbling being mocked as a "hero" that the rest of the world sees you as.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

im sure faction leaders dont go collecting 6 eyes, 12 ears, and w.e other silly quests there are

Tsaken afraid of dyeing is just.......stupid.....