Thread: Koda Steelclaw

Koda Steelclaw

Incredibly talented new druid? Lore oversight? Exception to the rule?

Apologies if this has been answered before, either here or in-game, I haven't been able to read the text on the quests overly well, and haven't finished the zone.

Thoughts?
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

15+ Year Old Account
    What about her?

Allow me to elaborate. Up until the beginning of WoW, women weren't allowed to become druids. So unless there's some bit of lore I missed, she's got to either have become Archdruid within that timespan, Blizzard forgot what they were doing, or she's an exception to the rule.

I was wondering if this was the case and, if not, people's thoughts on her.
    Last edited by Shedeo; 2016-09-02 at 05:40 AM.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    Allow me to elaborate. Up until the beginning of WoW, women weren't allowed to become druids. So unless there's some bit of lore I missed, she's got to either have become Archdruid within that timespan, Blizzard forgot what they were doing, or she's an exception to the rule.
    Yes. This immediately stood out to me. She even says she's slept for centuries, thus confirming she predates female druids. Badness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Koda Steelclaw appears to have been asleep for a long time, so I'd say she's probably an exception to the historical gender rule for Druids - although I think these gender rules were just an explanation for why Druids and Priest(esse)s in WC3 were male and female respectively but the classes in WoW could be either gender. I'm unsure why they felt the need to shoehorn in an explanation like that, but I've never seen it as a hard and fast rule - just a general guideline to explain the change in functionality in WoW.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh was the gender rule for druids something that existed for the Tauren druids? Koda is a female tauren right?
    I don't believe so, no. But Koda is a Night Elf Druid, as a Tauren couldn't live for centuries without exceedingly special circumstances such as the case with Xarantaur.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Probably an oversight.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

She cross-dressed and were too flat for Malfurion to realize she was female.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    She cross-dressed and were too flat for Malfurion to realize she was female.
    *watching Hentai anime with Druid influence in mind*
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Being asleep within the dream should be the exceedingly special circumstance. Xanataur stayed alive as a dragonsworn, I'd say an archdruid is not unlikely to be a dragonsworn of Ysera as well.
    Prior to the Third War all of the Night Elven druids were asleep in the Dream, as part of the Long Vigil and the price for their immortality via the World Tree. Malfurion had to be awakened by Tyrande so that he could then enter each of the major Barrow Dens to awaken the Druids of the Talon and Claw respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't believe so, no. But Koda is a Night Elf Druid, as a Tauren couldn't live for centuries without exceedingly special circumstances such as the case with Xarantaur.
    Did Xarantaur make it into Legion? I liked him, a player tribute that became an actual lore figure. I hope they used him in Val'sharah or the Druid hall. I haven't played much Legion yet to find out myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Did Xarantaur make it into Legion? I liked him, a player tribute that became an actual lore figure. I hope they used him in Val'sharah or the Druid hall. I haven't played much Legion yet to find out myself.
    I don't believe he did, no. I just used him as an example of an exceptionally long-lived Tauren, I don't think there are any others I can recall (except for the one who became an Elemental Ascendant from the manga comics, but that wouldn't count). Xarantaur would've made a good addition to Highmountain as an easter egg vignette or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't believe he did, no. I just used him as an example of an exceptionally long-lived Tauren, I don't think there are any others I can recall (except for the one who became an Elemental Ascendant from the manga comics, but that wouldn't count). Xarantaur would've made a good addition to Highmountain as an easter egg vignette or something.
    That's so lame :/. You'd think the first of the Tauren Druids would be involved in the Druid campaign or at least present in the order hall. He must love being frozen beef up in the Storm Peaks.

Deleted
    How dare you assume Koda's gender? What if Koda is a male and performed a sex change operation? Hmm?

No, but seriously, most likely, one of the few exceptions. Like Archdruid Renferal. Remember, in the end, while males were the predominant druids, druidism was not as restricted to males as the Priesthood was to females.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    How dare you assume Koda's gender? What if Koda is a male and performed a sex change operation? Hmm?

No, but seriously, most likely, one of the few exceptions. Like Archdruid Renferal. Remember, in the end, while males were the predominant druids, druidism was not as restricted to males as the Priesthood was to females.
    I think it's just Blizzard quietly sweeping under the rug the lore regarding Night Elves gender-roled society. Doesn't mesh well with today's politics nor for an MMO that lets you select whatever gender and class you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    So Koda has a steady supply of Transmorphic Tinctures?

Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    *watching Hentai anime with Druid influence in mind*
    Unsure if serious or not..if so im intrigued. Lol
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the whole gender-class thing is a generalisation,meaning most men are druids while most women are warriors.There could be a few men like Jarod,who are warriors and a few women like Koda who are druids.